Research ties economic inequality to gap in life expectancy

Status
Not open for further replies.
The definition of poverty had to change to keep the "need" for the poverty "programs" and to provide government workers a job - especially high-paid administrators.
You can choose to try to deflect responsibility for the compassionate changes wherever you wish, but you cannot legitimately deny that living in America as a member of the hard working poor hadn't been been improving steadily over the middle of last century, and that there were people who supported those changes on moral grounds.

Government always needs a "war on (fill in the blank) to justify its ever increasing size.
Assuming that that's even remotely relevant (and of course, I don't believe it is), better that government be working to make the lives of those less fortunate better rather than working to pad the pockets of rich executives of companies that supply the tools of war against other nations.

I don't claim to have the answer, but doing MORE of what doesn't work (as we are now doing) seems the definition of insanity.
The problem with that logic is that many people - right now, most people - disagree with your sentiment that stopping doing what we're doing now is better than continuing to do what we're doing now with regard to the less fortunate. The medicine may not be curing the disease, but it is relieving some of the suffering, and that's better than just letting the patient writhe in misery.

The problem with that logic is that many people - right now, most people - disagree with your sentiment that stopping doing what we're doing now is better than continuing to do what we're doing now with regard to the less fortunate.

Well, I guess if you and I ever agree upon anything - it will be to disagree. One thing I believe you are correct about. The current "wind" is blowing toward doing even more of what we've been doing for the past almost 50 years. YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom