Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Response from Dr. Milevsky about Early Retirement.........
Old 03-14-2008, 08:16 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Response from Dr. Milevsky about Early Retirement.........

He gave me a very short response to the question I posed him about how his research applies to early retirees........

Basically, he said that to him, early retirement is a recipe for financial failure, on a variety of levels......

I am e-mailing him back for clarification..........:confused:

I wasn't quite expecting that...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2008, 08:38 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I'm not surprised at all at his response.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:39 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I guess you take more risk by retiring earlier. Id be curious to know his reasons why.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:40 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Eh, if you consider it in terms of the average reality, he's probably right.

Most people spend too much and keep too much debt. So most people cant save enough and if they did, might spend themselves into oblivion. Inflation has a marked effect on a retiree style budget which may be heavy in food, energy and health care costs. Many people cant or wont manage their own finances and will simply hand their money over to someone who will charge them half of their personal inflation adjusted returns for the pleasure. Which doubles the amount they'd need to successfully make it. When most people cant garner enough for a satisfactory "normal" retirement.

So you're left with someone who can amass a large amount of money, manage it on their own, figure out how to avoid the vagaries of humongous price increases in several areas that economists like to set aside when measuring "core" inflation do all thatover 3-5 decades, and be willing to do a lot of this in direct conflict with the way almost everyone else thinks they ought to be living their lives.

Hmm, a huge economic and social stress over 30-50 years. Sounds like a recipe for failure on a lot of levels...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:45 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I e-mailed him back asking for a couple points of clarification. If he responds, I'll report back.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:47 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I just had a thought. If we had another 10 year market like 1973-1982, would that bankrupt a fair number of early retirees, or would they adjust by lowering their budgets and SWR until their portfolios recovered??

Old 03-14-2008, 09:43 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Both. Some people might stick to their plan even when they were spent down considerably and just adjust their spending to suit. Some might react and do stuff that works out either more or less favorably, probably at a rate of coin flipping. Some might go back to work.

Having already stuck my foot in a bear right on retirement (2000-2003) I cut my spending and if it'd gone on for a couple more years I'd have probably gone back to work. I dont think I'd enjoy a nice relaxing time in retirement while my investments were going down and/or sideways into 8+ years.

But with no debt and adaptable spending, I wouldnt have to go back to the shirt and tie 60 hour grind. I'd probably pick up a few handyman jobs and maybe a part time sales job.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:44 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I just had a thought. If we had another 10 year market like 1973-1982, would that bankrupt a fair number of early retirees, or would they adjust by lowering their budgets and SWR until their portfolios recovered??
Isn't this a natural question to pose to FIRECalc?
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:46 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
Isn't this a natural question to pose to FIRECalc?
I was looking for a human response rather than a software response. FIRE Calc is a great program,but it doesn't always take into effect human variables........

Old 03-14-2008, 09:49 AM   #10

I'm guessing his response will be in relation to:

lack of medical coverage until medicare takes hold
lack of social security until age 62
lack of pensions in existence

lack of workers in Uruguay
Art G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Both. Some people might stick to their plan even when they were spent down considerably and just adjust their spending to suit. Some might react and do stuff that works out either more or less favorably, probably at a rate of coin flipping. Some might go back to work.

Having already stuck my foot in a bear right on retirement (2000-2003) I cut my spending and if it'd gone on for a couple more years I'd have probably gone back to work. I dont think I'd enjoy a nice relaxing time in retirement while my investments were going down and/or sideways into 8+ years.

But with no debt and adaptable spending, I wouldnt have to go back to the shirt and tie 60 hour grind. I'd probably pick up a few handyman jobs and maybe a part time sales job.
Good to hear from someone that actually survived a downturn using logical courses of action. Thanks cfb.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:04 PM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Speaking personally, I plan to RE with enough fat to sustain a long financial diet if needs be. Plenty of other folks I know have had to cut back a lot during bad times and I'm sure we would do the same.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:31 PM   #13

Quote:
I was looking for a human response rather than a software response. FIRE Calc is a great program,but it doesn't always take into effect human variables........
Exactly. FireCalc says you have a 95% chance of success however after your portfolio is cut in half how do you know you’re not in the 5% of failures? I would say it takes a strong will to continue making your 4% withdrawal under that scenario. I know I would cut back .
Old 03-14-2008, 12:49 PM   #14

Bear in mind that he is a tenured university professor. Isn't that sort of like being retired anyway?
FIRE'd@51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:01 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
Bear in mind that he is a tenured university professor. Isn't that sort of like being retired anyway?
A CANADIEN professor, no less..........

Old 03-14-2008, 01:44 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Bernstein is no fan of ER either. But then he & Milevsky have certainly found their avocations.

Quote:
If the choice was "lower budget, reduce SWR, and eat ramen" or "go back to work", I wouldn't have to invest a lot of thinking on the decision.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote