Join Early Retirement Today

Restricted Social Security Application
Old 03-18-2019, 07:29 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Restricted Social Security Application

We have a Social Security office appointment scheduled for next Friday for my husband (born before 1/2/54) to apply for restricted benefits. I've already applied and my benefits begin next month.

I'm taking:
  • birth certificates
  • marriage license
  • a W-4V for withholding
  • his 1099's and our 2018 tax return (not sure we need this, but what the heck)
  • a letter they sent him saying "hey, you're eligible for SS but haven't applied, so bring this letter with you when you come visit

Anything else anyone can possibly think of? Dog's vaccination records?

And, to speed up the process, should we fill out the online app for him a day or two in advance?

If anyone has been through this, I'd like to hear your experiences.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2019, 07:34 AM   #2

We did it on a phone appointment without ever visiting the office. Easy, simple and quick. I think you should just relax.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:00 AM   #3

If either of you have or will have a public pension, bring records documenting the details.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:12 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

blank check for routing purposes.
let them do the work they are pretty quick at doing applications. .
be a little early and be sure and check-in at the machine where you get your unique waiting number.

might not apply if it's not the only marriage, maybe paperwork from any divorces either one of you might have.
I don't know if that applies but they will ask you if you had any other marriages.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
We did it on a phone appointment without ever visiting the office. Easy, simple and quick. I think you should just relax.
Your local office must be far more progressive than ours. We were told the only way to do a restricted app was in person.

And, I'm retired, so I'm relaxed.

Old 03-18-2019, 08:50 AM   #6

Actually, we never talked with the local office. Just called the 800 number and set up a phone appointment. They called right on the minute.

Even better, they needed to speak with both of us, but I was the only one home. I gave them DW's cell phone number and after talking with me, they called her wherever she was and handled that side of the conversation. It was really quick and easy.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:53 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

DW and I both just did it all on-line.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:55 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

One thing that surprised me (years ago when visiting the SS office to get a duplicate SS card) was that they had big security in the building. So be prepared to empty your pockets when going into the building.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:22 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
DW and I both just did it all on-line.
Some things are different. I've mentioned before when signing up for Medicare I had to visit in person. I was born a US citizen to a military father in the UK. even though I've had a passport for over 60 years. I had to show up in person with paper documentation of everything. I had a valid passport on my person and they still wanted additional documentation.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:29 AM   #10

As native born citizens, DW and I have never set foot in a SS office. I don't know how that might change if we ere not NB. We signed up for Medicare on line and then DW signed up for her FRA benefits online. Then I filed for spousal at my FRA online. Never had to go anywhere to see anyone in person. We did get a call where they had to talk to DW when I filed Restricted Benefits for Spousal. YMMV
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:20 AM   #11

Just got back from the appointment. Had the greatest employee helping us. We had an appointment, and he called us back about 10 minutes late, so I consider that on time for government work.

No metal detector at our office, but we had to verbally state to the guard that we had no weapons?!?!?!

It was easy peazy. I did ask him if I could have applied for restricted benefits online or via phone, and he said NO! No idea why there's such disparity between offices and experiences.

I did notice a very nice, enormous round rug with the Social Security emblem and logo on it. Gee, wonder what those cost us?

Anyway, it's a done deal. Thanks for all the help!

Old 03-29-2019, 07:36 PM   #12
Dryer sheet wannabe

In February my wife did the online application, which was simple to do. About two weeks later we received a voice mail or email from a someone saying they were from SS and needed to talk to my wife and to return this persons call. The first thing to cross our minds was scam. We checked out the number and found the number was indeed from SS in Chicago.

My wife returned the call to this person who wanted to verify what was on the online application and also to advise her of the options available to her. When the SS person completed her questions with my wife, she asked if I was there. Keep in mind I have not applied for SS benefits. I was going to do so shortly and file a restricted application at that time.

On the same call she signed me up with a restricted application to draw spousal on my wife's record. This was probably easier for SS to get both done at the same time since most of the information is the same including bank account numbers. It was certainly easier for me.

The only negative about the procedure is I felt like this person was pushing for us to take our full benefits before full retirement age which is only a couple of months away. I suppose it is necessary so the applicant is aware of how much additional dollars the applicant can draw the first year.
Mike10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:55 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike10 View Post
The only negative about the procedure is I felt like this person was pushing for us to take our full benefits before full retirement age which is only a couple of months away. I suppose it is necessary so the applicant is aware of how much additional dollars the applicant can draw the first year.
Hmmm ... from everything I've read, in order to do the restricted application, in addition to being born before 1/2/54, you need to wait until your FRA to file. So if they had talked you into filing early, you would have been disqualified.

I'm very tuned in to this, because my wife will hit FRA a month before the deadline, and file her restricted application then.

Tags
restricted, social security