Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-08-2009, 04:29 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Total savings with taxes and delivery off their intial quote was ~$4500; well worth the hassle; it took a couple of weeks, but we weren't in any hurry.
I guess you can't put the $400 white box contractor's special fridge in a million dollar home?!? Saving $4500 on appliances? I don't think I have spent $4500 total on appliances in my life including renovating and adding on a stack unit w/d in my old rental condo. But good job on the negotiations. My guess is that there is a lot more room for negotiations on the high end units vs the contractor's specials that are basically commodities (the end where I'm buying appliances).
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2009, 04:44 PM   #42
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I guess you can't put the $400 white box contractor's special fridge in a million dollar home?!? Saving $4500 on appliances? I don't think I have spent $4500 total on appliances in my life including renovating and adding on a stack unit w/d in my old rental condo. But good job on the negotiations. My guess is that there is a lot more room for negotiations on the high end units vs the contractor's specials that are basically commodities (the end where I'm buying appliances).
Remember, our banker wanted to see a working kitchen- guess what is sitting in there now?- white box contractor's special range, microwave, fridge, and dishwasher; all from our current home- we had just updated the kitchen to get it ready to go on the market- strangely enough we agonized over spending $4500 on all new stainless appliances...... and yeah, while we were fine with the white econoboxes for years, they do look strangely out of place in the new home- 30" range in the 48" refrigerator space, built-in microwave sitting on the counter, refrigerator over in the corner, and the dw stuffed in the cutout... but hey, it's a working kitchen!
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:41 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Remember, our banker wanted to see a working kitchen- guess what is sitting in there now?- white box contractor's special range, microwave, fridge, and dishwasher; all from our current home- we had just updated the kitchen to get it ready to go on the market- strangely enough we agonized over spending $4500 on all new stainless appliances...... and yeah, while we were fine with the white econoboxes for years, they do look strangely out of place in the new home- 30" range in the 48" refrigerator space, built-in microwave sitting on the counter, refrigerator over in the corner, and the dw stuffed in the cutout... but hey, it's a working kitchen!
Boy I bet she hated being stuck in there! You couldn't spring for a $300 dishwasher instead of sticking her in there? I guess she is technically a dishwasher, and that is all your lender required. My DW would be piiiiissed if it were her.

That's funny, but I know what you mean re: the right look. White box contractor's specials look fine in my house, but they would look very out of place in a nice updated house. Are stainless appliances still popular and in style these days? I thought I read something about them going out of style recently??
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:53 PM   #44
gone traveling

Gotta go, my refrigerator is running...
Old 07-08-2009, 07:57 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
I thought about asking for the manager, but why should a customer have to beg a store to take his money for a luxury good?
Because margins are thin and retailers aren't doing themselves any favors giving the stuff away.
JohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:57 PM   #46
Dryer sheet aficionado

We are seeing "bargains" in the transportation industry in the pacific northwest. Most of our bids are coming in in the neighborhood of 60% of where they were a couple years ago. But no bargains obvious anywhere else, maybe in home maintenance and improvement items on a limited basis.
lloyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:15 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe View Post
Because margins are thin and retailers aren't doing themselves any favors giving the stuff away.
If they could sell it for price $x on Saturday, I doubt they'd be put out of business selling it for $x on Sunday. This wasn't a doorbuster special that was clearly being sold below cost to get traffic in the door.
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:02 AM   #48

it might have been a special promotion with the manufacturer for that one day. a lot of times sales, coupons and rebates are special agreements where the manufacturer shares the cost of the promotion or pays for it entirely to move inventory
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:14 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I can understand the desire not to negotiate. It often makes you feel poor, cheap, or disrespectful. It also takes time.
I know this is true, but I feel like a lazy, patsy if I don't try to negotiate on most things. Feeling poor, cheap or disrespectful in a relationship with a salesperson who is a total stranger I may never see again, doesn't even enter my mind at all. I ask for a discount, the worst thing they can do is say no. Then it's up to me to pay their price or walk away if I have other options. There's nothing to it and often times they are quick to offer a discount, takes almost no time at all and no big deal IMHO.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:58 AM   #50

Update: they just put the 52" LCD TV on sale again for $1500. On one hand, I still think that's a ridiculous amount of money to pay for a TV. And there are always new models coming out, so the price has to keep dropping.

On the other hand, I could go for the 55" inch for $1900 instead...
Old 07-16-2009, 09:23 AM   #51
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
Update: they just put the 52" LCD TV on sale again for $1500. On one hand, I still think that's a ridiculous amount of money to pay for a TV. And there are always new models coming out, so the price has to keep dropping.

On the other hand, I could go for the 55" inch for $1900 instead...

Ask them to see if they can sell you the 52" display model for $1000 or an open box for $1200- because you just can't see spending $1500 for a tv in this economy...
Old 07-16-2009, 08:34 PM   #52

Quote:
refrigerator over in the corner, and the dw stuffed in the cutout... but hey, it's a working kitchen!
I wouldn't stuff the dear wife in the corner. I know some of the older fashioned guys think that the DW is the DW, but...
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 02:04 PM   #53

Update: The retailers ARE desperate - they're just playing hard to get. After they put the TV on sale for the July 4 price this week, I pulled the trigger for $1500. In today's paper, same TV is now $1399! So I go down to Fry's for a price adjustment, and ask for my $100 please. They check the computer and tell me that the sale price is actually $1329, so I get $170+tax back instead of just $100. Sweet!

Surprisingly, my cable bill actually went down $2/month after I got a converter box and switched to digital. I don't know how that works, but not complaining! HDTV is awesome, I've been holding out for a while but it is definitely worth it compared to my 27" CRT.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:08 AM   #54

Yes, I finally watched a whole night of HDTV in a hotel, and I could tell a dramatic difference. I can imagine sporting events looking much better, but I think I will hold off for another 2 years. I just got my 27" CRT in 2002 after using a 19" CRT from 1983 to 2002. The 19" was getting uneven colors, but still some guy took it off Craig's List and was going to used it as his garage TV.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:45 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Crazy stuff, you guys are nuts..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote