Join Early Retirement Today

Rethinking Retirement???
Old 07-17-2007, 08:57 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Rethinking Retirement???

CNN - Rethinking Retirement

"Those who say 'I'll never work again' are making a major, major mistake. Because they're going to find themselves adrift, away from a community purpose and a sense."

Hmm... a pretty sad thought that some can't autonomously find greater meaning in their lives than they're able to find through megacorp

I'll pass... it seems like these articles are trying to present the increasing numbers of those delaying retirement as some kind of social revolution... when in fact it's a financial necessity for most.
bots2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2007, 09:06 PM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bots2019 View Post
CNN - Rethinking Retirement

"Those who say 'I'll never work again' are making a major, major mistake. Because they're going to find themselves adrift, away from a community purpose and a sense."

Hmm... a pretty sad thought that some can't autonomously find greater meaning in their lives than they're able to find through megacorp

I'll pass... it seems like these articles are trying to present the increasing numbers of those delaying retirement as some kind of social revolution... when in fact it's a financial necessity for most.
Quote:
Although some employees sitting in cubicles may long for the end to their work lives, sun-drenched days with tee-times, knitting and visiting the grandchildren, Howard Stone said retirees shouldn't retire, at least in the traditional sense of the word.
"Those who say 'I'll never work again' are making a major, major mistake. Because they're going to find themselves adrift, away from a community purpose and a sense," he said.

I just love people who know what I think/want/need.

I am happier and healthier than I have been in my whole previous life.

%^& him and the horse he rode in on.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:18 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have two major goals in retirement. The first is to really dig into photography... it's a passion now without enough time.

The second is to go back to college and be 'that creepy old guy in class'.

Between those two and travelling, I think I'll be fine, thank you very much...
Webzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:01 PM   #4
gone traveling

Retirement of the baby boom generation
has the government and corporate America
scared stiff... so they resort to propaganda
to try to convince us not to retire.
Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:12 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

This is a good article to keep people working longer and funding social security. Those of us here can think for ourselves.
bssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:18 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

To Taylor Gandossy (the author of the article) and to CNN, I say "Eat Poo!"

I will NEVER w*rk again!!!

And THAT'S my final answer!!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:30 PM   #7

Quote:
"Nearly six in 10 baby boomers who intend to work after retirement say they want a job that gives them a greater sense of purpose....."
What greater sense of purpose could one have than to live and enjoy life fully, completely unencumbered by the shackles of a j*b?! My entire purpose in life, now that I'm retired, is to thoroughly enjoy endless days of play for the rest of my life!!! Scr*w w*rking after retirement!!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:26 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

IMHO - People may be reluctant to take the initial step to ER (when older) for fear of being able to get the same wages if they need to reenter the workplace.

On a personal front, I believe there is a little anxiety about quiting work. Heck for most of us we have been doing it most of our lives. For some people, that is all they have socially.

Personally, my only concern about ER is financial (maintaining an acceptable lifestyle in the goods and services consumption sense). Finding structure, social connections, staying busy... those are things that I have little concern about.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:08 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

If you want to stay busy and connected you can.
When I first left work I joined a local garden club and volunteered at a soup kitchen. Took a pottery class and am still throwing pots for fun. The people I am in contact with are so nice and really wonderful people. Fitness, reading all those books you never got around to, traveling in the off season, expanding your flower or vegetable garden, getting around to all the craft projects or home repairs you never had time to do, they are all waiting for you. You may have to try a few volunteer organizations to find a good fit. Habitat for Humanity, the red cross- the list goes on of good people doing good things. Next year my garden will be bigger so I can bring veggies to the soup kitchen with me.
The funny thing was my old coworkers kept calling me to meet for lunch as they were concerned about me. I didn't have time to meet with them and they just couldn't get it.
52andout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:35 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

It truly, truly amazes me that so many people think the only kind of "community" available to humans is the workplace!!! Huh?

What is wrong with people?!?!?

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:33 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

This situation sort of parallels the "participant vrs non-participant" discussion aspects of racing motorcycles (and probably many other "extreme" activities). To the non-participant, racing is a frightening and dangerous activity, with no positive value whatever. That people do it with joy and fervor is utterly beyond comprehension.

To the participant, short of a Vulcan mind-meld, there is just no way to convey the soul soaring reasons it appeals. And, in the end, most discussion distill down to "if you have to ask, you won't understand."

Personally, I can't imagine why otherwise sane people climb mountains or bungee-jump. :confused:

.... or continue to work past their "sell by" date.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:35 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

As a telecommuter, when I work I'm bound to my house, working alone. I have a few phone calls a week, and IM and email people, but usually it's the same couple dozen or so people. When I retire, I'll be able to get out more during the day and meet more people. And I already have a couple of purposes in mind, like doing work for the local nature foundation and perhaps the volunteer fire department, which sound a lot more community oriented than keeping some software working.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52andout View Post
If you want to stay busy and connected you can.
When I first left work I joined a local garden club and volunteered at a soup kitchen. Took a pottery class and am still throwing pots for fun. The people I am in contact with are so nice and really wonderful people. Fitness, reading all those books you never got around to, traveling in the off season, expanding your flower or vegetable garden, getting around to all the craft projects or home repairs you never had time to do, they are all waiting for you. You may have to try a few volunteer organizations to find a good fit. Habitat for Humanity, the red cross- the list goes on of good people doing good things. Next year my garden will be bigger so I can bring veggies to the soup kitchen with me.
The funny thing was my old coworkers kept calling me to meet for lunch as they were concerned about me. I didn't have time to meet with them and they just couldn't get it.

I love this post. This person has a life. This is the reason to FIRE. This is the stuff w**k keeps you from doing. I am 18 months FIRED. We have traveled and are doing all of those projects that needed doing around the house. I have time to spend with my elderly parents. We are also looking into taking pottery classes. Work is a means to and end. For me it was to get here. FIRED ASAP.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:14 AM   #14

I saw this article as well. It is sad that so many people do not know how to structure their own time and need someone else to do it for them.

I also agree that there is a cultural "sell" going on. The purpose of this sell is to help people justify continued employment when they are are financially unprepared for RE.

My recent vacation has only reinforced my desire to FIRE so that I can have the time to do what I want to do when I want to do it.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:31 AM   #15

Seventy-seven (77) million baby boomers coming down the retirement road. Somebody's got to convince some of them to keep working longer. As for me and my house, we shall continue in ER with a watchful eye on our Index Funds, hoping for the best.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:40 AM   #16
Dryer sheet aficionado

Did I read a different article? Granted I think what the Stone's said of making a huge mistake of retiring/lack of communtiy is a total croc, but the rest of the article was good. It states that you better have a plan if you're going to up and quit. Now to me that plan might be never working again, but if you have a passion about sculpting/wine making/writing children books, and you make some money doing it- That's o.k. in my book.

Mudd
Mudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Nearly six in 10 baby boomers who intend to work after retirement say they want a job that gives them a greater sense of purpose, according to a 2005 MetLife Foundation/Civic Ventures New Face of Work Survey.
I do not have any intention to work after retirement.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:17 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Welllllll - for those of us with fairly sick and demented minds - it wasn't too many years back when I could put on a pot of coffee in the morning and sit on the back deck over Lake Ponchartrain and look across and watch the poor bastards bumper to bumper commuting into the city to 'work.'

The shear joy of not working, never volunteering for nothing and doing absolutely nothing 'meaningful' (or any other crap like that) was overwhelming.

Of course in 13 years of ER - you always get sucked (suckered??) into things.

But that's yet another story which I would only admit to after torture and if my 5th amendment rights were violated.

heh heh heh - doing absolutely nothing is great if you can sneak it in while doing nothing in particular!
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
No Way!
Old 07-18-2007, 12:30 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

No Way!

After 2 years of ER, I don't plan on working any more. I'm having too much fun doing whatever.... every day. I've taken up a few new hobbies and now have time for the simple pleasures... like reading books! Luckily, my wife and I get along so neither of us is going crazy with both of us hanging around (she ER'd 11 years ago).
Life_is_Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:34 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Part of me can hardly wait to enjoy the freedom to be free; part of me, though, is apprehensive. I actually enjoy what I do, but I'm also tired of doing it .... Change is not always easy, and going from a structured to a non-structured environment is not an insignificant change.

In any event, I have declined a contract renewal and the final FIRE date remains fixed -- July 31, 2008. In other words, one year and counting...!
playaman is offline   Reply With Quote