Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-18-2007, 12:37 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
%^& him and the horse he rode in on.

And everyone that LOOKS like him! or the horse!

To be fair, a whole lot of people live a life thats simply a string of distractions. Work is a major distraction. Take it away...better have some other ones for replacements.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2007, 12:45 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

I've met people who love to work and retired only when health required it, in their 70's+, and that's fine, more power to them. What bothers me is how many people on either side of this choice seem to feel the other side is full of people needing medical attention.

A Wiccan golden rule I like - "And it harm none, do what ye will.".

...but I suspect this is just more re-hashed fluff written up to make a deadline and fill white space.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:38 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Free thinkers and independent people are dangerous for society... It is in society's best interest for people to think that there is no life beyond work, so that they'll keep working, producing goods, creating wealth, and paying taxes while keeping their mounth shut. It is always easier to control people who depend on a paycheck for their survival...
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:31 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52andout View Post
If you want to stay busy and connected you can.
When I first left work I joined a local garden club and volunteered at a soup kitchen. Took a pottery class and am still throwing pots for fun. The people I am in contact with are so nice and really wonderful people. Fitness, reading all those books you never got around to, traveling in the off season, expanding your flower or vegetable garden, getting around to all the craft projects or home repairs you never had time to do, they are all waiting for you. ..............The funny thing was my old coworkers kept calling me to meet for lunch as they were concerned about me. I didn't have time to meet with them and they just couldn't get it.
I joined a local garden club several months before I retired, just to meet some new folks who had similar interests as me. They're a great bunch of people, and we have a lot of fun together. I expanded our gardens this year (and will expand more next year) and added in some more veggies.

It's nice now also that I have time to catch up on my reading...books & magazines both. I'll grab a magazine and a mug of iced tea, and go out and sit in the garden and read the thing cover to cover. I also have my old hobbies to devote more time to....if I can ever find the time!

My former co-w*rkers think I sit around all day and never leave the house, because they hardly ever see me. I try explaining to them that they hardly ever see me, because I'm always busy doing something or off on another trip. They, too, just don't get it!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:46 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Once I retire, I'd suffer a lot of privation before going back to work. I am doing what I can right now to make sure I can manage in my old age, but once I retire I will not work any more!!!

Getting a part time, non-strenuous job may not be an easy option to pursue. There are going to be 340986762309487 or more seniors applying for each part time "Welcome to Wal-Mart" or "Will you have fries with that order, Sir?" job, and such jobs are going to be hard to impossible to find due to competition from other seniors who haven't adequately prepared for their retirements.

At least, that is my prediction. It's worth every cent you paid for it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:53 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattusbabe View Post
I have time to spend with my elderly parents.
Growing up my both of my folks worked days, and I was in school, but then I also had a lot of stuff going on in the evenings, so we didn't get a lot of time to spend together. When they retired 20 years ago this past May, I was still working (some of it 'swing-shift'), and I had even more stuff going on in my free time. So I still didn't get to spend much time with them.

I didn't get to spend much time at all my with my Dad before he passed away in '98. My Mom hit 80 this year, and now that I'm retired, we get to spend a lot of quality time together. She has all sorts of things going on all the time, and I do too, but we also have a lot of time in between to hang out. It's nice to have this time!!!
Old 07-18-2007, 05:34 PM   #27

I don't need w*ork for the social aspect of it...rather that is the root of most of the problems and difficulties that many of us face with the dreaded "w" word....I believe anyway.

On the other hand, I will work...in my garden, at the soup kitchen, around the house. I've always had an interest in real estate, so I may dabble in that. Work it is, but if I go there it will be because I WANT to not because I need to....more of a hobby I guess, but work nonetheless. By the way, who said driving a big RV to the next destination isn't work...
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:47 PM   #28
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
Growing up my both of my folks worked days, and I was in school, but then I also had a lot of stuff going on in the evenings, so we didn't get a lot of time to spend together. When they retired 20 years ago this past May, I was still working (some of it 'swing-shift'), and I had even more stuff going on in my free time. So I still didn't get to spend much time with them.

I didn't get to spend much time at all my with my Dad before he passed away in '98. My Mom hit 80 this year, and now that I'm retired, we get to spend a lot of quality time together. She has all sorts of things going on all the time, and I do too, but we also have a lot of time in between to hang out. It's nice to have this time!!!
Time.

Days and years and barrels and acrefeet and savannas and oceans of time.

The greatest treasure of all.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:05 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't think there will be enough jobs in America to support all the old farts that plan on "working until they drop". There is going to be a gaint surplus of labor, which will pressure salaries to go even lower. This is going to be brutal.
dmpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:14 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

The funny thing is that people always assume that they will have the option to work until they die. You know there are reasons why most people in America retire "early" (that is before they qualify for full SS benefits). Americans retire on average at age 62 according to studies I have read. Is it because they are all so rich they can afford it? Nope. It's because they have no choice. That's right, they either can't continue working because of their poor health, or because they can't find a job. People who have not saved enough for retirement take comfort in the idea that, if they have to, they can always get a job to complement SS. That's a flawed assumption.

Quote:
I don't think there will be enough jobs in America to support all the old farts that plan on "working until they drop". There is going to be a gaint surplus of labor, which will pressure salaries to go even lower. This is going to be brutal.
I somewhat disagree with that. I would say that it depends what kind of jobs you are talking about. I do believe that as the boomers age, we will face labor shortages in a number of areas while others, as you pointed out, will face surpluses.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:41 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Time.

Days and years and barrels and acrefeet and savannas and oceans of time.

The greatest treasure of all.
Oh, YEAH!!! It is the greatest treasure! I followed my map to where "X" marked the spot......and I found that treasure! Those endless days of play and enjoyment!!! This is the life!!!
Old 07-18-2007, 09:51 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpi View Post
Thank you for those kind words about the elders.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:38 AM   #33
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bots2019 View Post
"Those who say 'I'll never work again' are making a major, major mistake. Because they're going to find themselves adrift, away from a community purpose and a sense."
Please, oh please let me experience finding myself adrift...

mikex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:54 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

One thing I discovered in 13 years of ER - be prepared to run if someone mentions 'free' T shirt.

Used to get them for giving blood(or coffee mug as a change of pace). Now they sucker you in for about anything - building playgrounds, judging science fairs, volunteer teaching math, science, hospital volunteers, adopt a road, etc, etc.

Never, never volunteer - don't hang around with retired engineers - wear Jimmy Buffett shirts and tell em you're allergic to T's.

Of course - you 'will' get sucked in periodically - comes with the territory.

Never admit you volunteered and tell everybody - those do nothing Corona beer ads are your favorite.

heh heh heh
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:07 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
Thank you for those kind words about the elders.
I can talk that way because I'm a old fart myself.
dmpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 01:13 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Sayeth Friedrich Nietzsche:

"There exists above the "productive man" a yet higher species."

There are so many ways to be productive outside of the workforce. I count ourselves so lucky to be out of that workaday world and able to fill our time as we choose. It's a sad commentary on peoples' lack of creativity or self-actualization for them to ask how I could possibly fill my time or interest if I am not working/i.e. employed.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:48 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post

Getting a part time, non-strenuous job may not be an easy option to pursue. There are going to be 340986762309487 or more seniors applying for each part time "Welcome to Wal-Mart" or "Will you have fries with that order, Sir?" job, and such jobs are going to be hard to impossible to find due to competition from other seniors who haven't adequately prepared for their retirements.

At least, that is my prediction. It's worth every cent you paid for it.
Great viewpoint, W2R. Its curious that the media doesn't stress that. After my mon retired she tried to go back to a previous career in selling ladies' dresses; there were no openings. Here comes another Depression Era comment: when jobs were so scare, those who had them were very polite to customers.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:13 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

One more thing. I read these articles and listen to people's comments about working at wally world or some other low paying job. Think about it. I was close to suicidal when I was making $35/hr putting up with the bull. Do you think you would be any better off working with people who can only get minimum wage jobs and putting up with corporate bull for $7.15/hr? I don't think so. Who in their right mind thinks being a greeter or making fries for under $10/hr has any romance or intrigue.

Now if you have a hobby that turns into some money making that is different, or say a love of nature and get some work in a state park for instance, but I think the romantic notion that a low paying job means that it will be OK is all off. I put up with several extra years of bull just to avoid that kind of job.
Yesterday we were driving in a city. I saw a guy who was sitting in a chair near the gate of a parking lot in case someone drove in. Two or three hours of that and I would be going gaaagaaagaaa and drooling.
52andout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:14 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

There'll always be some "About Schmidt" people.

But heres a riddle. If all the products are produced at bare bones prices in china, and all the service jobs are manned by seniors working for cut-rate wages, perhaps we oughta be looking at some Treasury Deflation Protected Securities...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 02:13 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
The funny thing is that people always assume that they will have the option to work until they die. You know there are reasons why most people in America retire "early" (that is before they qualify for full SS benefits). Americans retire on average at age 62 according to studies I have read. Is it because they are all so rich they can afford it? Nope. It's because they have no choice. That's right, they either can't continue working because of their poor health, or because they can't find a job. People who have not saved enough for retirement take comfort in the idea that, if they have to, they can always get a job to complement SS. That's a flawed assumption.

I somewhat disagree with that. I would say that it depends what kind of jobs you are talking about. I do believe that as the boomers age, we will face labor shortages in a number of areas while others, as you pointed out, will face surpluses.
Yup! Unfortunately, American Business is becoming more and more heartless. The benevolent corporations of Post WWII are no longer that way. World economic conditions have changed. The increased competition has caused (or justified the behavior) Execs to strip away wages, benefits, and often the job itself. At the same time they grab all they can for themselves. Let's face it life is unfair! The sad truth is that you are only one step away from losing your job. And this often occurs in ways that have nothing to do with anything you did. Outsourcing is the American way now days. You cannot work hard enough or fast enough to be less expensive than someone that earns 1/6 or 1/10 of what you earn. Throw on top of that, no pension costs and no/low health care costs to the company...

I also agree that there will be an eventual labor shortage. Unfortunately, by the time that happens, most people will be too old to work for the reasons you cited. Right now... we are at what is considered full employment (marco economics). If you are an older worker, you had better have a skill that is in high immediate demand. Otherwise, all else equal, the company will choose the younger worker. In many cases your wisdom (via age) does not trump (the perception of) younger, smarter, faster. Not to mention that as you age it is likely that your boss will be biased and just "relate/bond" better with younger employees that are closer to their age.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote