Retire in the face of today's economy?

The rule of thumb I have most often seen is nest egg = 20-25x annual expenses.

It depends on what kind of margin of safety you desire. But as Bernstein points out in his Retirement Calculator From Hell series (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f47/william-bernsteins-books-website-info-30505.html), there is a law of diminishing returns for margin of safety.

If the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse decide to trash the world again during our lifetimes, for example, the best investment for survival during that period of time may be guns, ammunition, gold, and candy bars (i.e., the de facto local currency).

It depends on what kind of margin of safety you desire. But as Bernstein points out in his Retirement Calculator From Hell series (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f47/william-bernsteins-books-website-info-30505.html), there is a law of diminishing returns for margin of safety.

If the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse decide to trash the world again during our lifetimes, for example, the best investment for survival during that period of time may be guns, ammunition, gold, and candy bars (i.e., the de facto local currency).

My father said cigarettes were currency in Germany after WW2.

Well who'd have thought a deleted thread would go two pages? Thanks for all the replies. Work continues to blow, especially bad day today.

I'm about at the 20x annual expenses spot, or near enough that it's irrelevant because my expenses will decline over time. Yep, military and Nords and I have common experience in Hawaii.

Thanks all for your continued insight, like I said it's obvious the choice is mine. Perhaps the most useful comment is the fact that there's never a "right time", that you just do it and it mostly all works out.

Next week I give two week notice, on the 22nd I'm retired.

Hoo Yah. And yes, deepc is deep sea.

"
I realize a similar situation could occur 5, 10 years down the road also after I'm retired from "the job", but why jump out right in the middle of (or just at the start of?) an inflationary period before wages have caught up?

Why - Because there is money and there is time. Time literally is marching forward for all of us. We have a finite number of days and more than likely an even lesser number of days with good health and mobility. Retirement is the combination of wealth and time, realize your decisions regarding retirement spend one or the other and sometimes both. Read your local obits everyday as you do the financial news. It will give balance to your perspective.

Why - Because there is money and there is time. Time literally is marching forward for all of us. We have a finite number of days and more than likely an even lesser number of days with good health and mobility. Retirement is the combination of wealth and time, realize your decisions regarding retirement spend one or the other and sometimes both. Read your local obits everyday as you do the financial news. It will give balance to your perspective.

Yes :bat: ...

Attachments

• speedbump2003055370822.gif
    speedbump2003055370822.gif
    60 KB · Views: 167
Thought a followup was in order, as the 22nd came and went and I am still there at the job. Been reading the forum pretty consistently and actually did submit my letter last Tuesday for a final day a week from tomorrow. One of the key influencers was the "golden handcuffs" thread, that describes my situation very similarly.

The response from my cohorts at work has been touching, and overwhelmingly positive. There has not been a single negative statement or comment, and I'm glad to have decided to part ways now, before my rotten attitude and "no keah" feelings broke through too much. It feels great to leave on good terms, with supportive folks, and before the meltdown.

Working this year after having retired from the military was invaluable as a learning experience, and even the reaction to my resignation has been surprising, humbling, and an experience that I could not have imagined and would not want to have missed out on.

Looking forward to that first day when the alarm rings, I can wake up, and don't HAVE to go anyplace. Hoo Yah/DeepC

Thought a followup was in order, as the 22nd came and went and I am still there at the job. Been reading the forum pretty consistently and actually did submit my letter last Tuesday for a final day a week from tomorrow. One of the key influencers was the "golden handcuffs" thread, that describes my situation very similarly.

The response from my cohorts at work has been touching, and overwhelmingly positive. There has not been a single negative statement or comment, and I'm glad to have decided to part ways now, before my rotten attitude and "no keah" feelings broke through too much. It feels great to leave on good terms, with supportive folks, and before the meltdown.

Working this year after having retired from the military was invaluable as a learning experience, and even the reaction to my resignation has been surprising, humbling, and an experience that I could not have imagined and would not want to have missed out on.

Looking forward to that first day when the alarm rings, I can wake up, and don't HAVE to go anyplace. Hoo Yah/DeepC

I suggest you take that alarm clock out to the driveway and beat it into submission with a baseball bat.

Back
Top Bottom