Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-27-2020, 08:25 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Do nothing with your portfolio. Keep working for now. When the dust settles and markets recover, then consider moving your money from Merrill to Fidelity/Vanguard/Schwab. If you make that move, consider adjusting your asset allocation to reduce equities if you have found this correction unnerving. But don’t do anything now—wait it out and don’t lock in the losses! And absolutely NO to the annuity. Total rip off.
Austin704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2020, 05:30 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

To the OP...

I just read many of the posts you've made in the last six months. Retirement is not an easy decision, at least not for most, and it appears it is a particularly difficult decision for you based on the threads you've started and the posts you've made.

One of your posts says you're not a millionaire. While that may be true in the sense that you don't have a million dollars in the bank or investments, you have several potential streams of income at your disposal so I suspect you are a "millionaire" but don't realize it. As others have said in reply to your posts you need to look at the big picture. You need to closely examine your expenses to see where the money goes. You need to understand the current streams of income and future income sources to determine if you've achieved your "number."

As for the subject of this thread, and a subsequent thread about an annuity, it sounds like you and your husband should have little exposure to equities, particularly for the $300,000 mentioned here.

Everyone's situation is different. I suspect you have more "money" than you think but I don't know that for certain. If a 10% drop in the stock market, with perhaps more declines to come, makes you uneasy, you need to reconsider your investments.

Please don't think I'm happy about the recent decline in the stock market but DW and I take a big picture approach to the topic of investments and for us a large correction in the stock market will not be the end of the world.

OOPS! Almost forgot, what in the world are you doing with a big-name, high commission broker?
Old 02-28-2020, 06:09 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rathgar View Post
...I'm not yet retired ...Our MLynch advisor spoke to my DH today and suggested annuities??
Thoughts?
In the belief that repetition helps a message stick:
Do not sell stocks now. Do not buy an annuity. Fire the Merrill Lynch advisor leech. Move to Vanguard, Fidelity or Charles Schwab.

Not knowing your retirement portfolio nor your expenses, but assuming the $300K is the nest egg, then working till at least 62 (and Social Security) might be warranted.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:21 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
My urge is to stop and try to preserve the 300K at this point.
Can anyone advise?
We can't let it sit and continue to lose money -it's what we have to live on - there is no more money being put into this account.
Advice??
You aren't losing any money unless you sell.

The value of your equities dropping is not the same thing. If you can't stomach a correction, perhaps you shouldn't own any equities at all.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 06:23 AM   #25

Quote:
Thanks all for the responses.
I am not yet retired - was about to put in my letter but I am holding off for the moment.
Our MLynch advisor spoke to my DH today and suggested annuities??
Thoughts?
I think you need to educate yourself before ML and your emotions wreck your nest egg.

Read this: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Bogl...g_start-up_kit
Old 02-28-2020, 07:31 AM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks all,
I try to educate myself, but I'm just a teacher - no background in investing. Never even had a 401K - it's my husbands.

doing the best I can reading these boards.
Thanks for your patience with my questions/ concerns
rathgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 07:39 AM   #27

Quote:
Thanks all,
I try to educate myself, but I'm just a teacher - no background in investing. Never even had a 401K - it's my husbands.

And probably you're more like most of us than you think. Before I got serious about ER I had no clue, but I learned loads from sticking around here. Not necessarily studying, but it works like osmosis after a while.

Bottom line for you, there were many stories of people selling in 08/09 and not coming back. It's a very natural reflex to want to cut one's losses, but it's the wrong instinct. They aren't losses until/unless you sell.

In 2008 I lost about half my 401k. 150 ish went to 75 ish. (that was all I had then). I didn't sell. By the end of 2009 it was starting to tick back up, and by 2011 we were definitely into a bull. I don't remember when I broke even again, but safe to say it wasn't long, and within a couple of years left prior-highs in the dust. None of that could have happened if I'd sold and put my remaining 75k in something "safe." And I wouldn't have ER'd.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 08:05 AM   #28

Quote:
Thanks all,

It's not rocket science. Don't feel intimidated.

"Just a teacher" - you are more than qualified to learn what you need to learn.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:26 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You're on a good start by asking here. Of course it's up to you to weigh the opinions of strangers on the internet vs. your professional financial advisor. Just keep in mind we get no benefit from you taking our advice. Your FA does.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 08:26 AM   #30
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hi all,
so I see the market is down again 1000 points at this moment-
does this seem normal or way beyond normal?
are any of you getting concerned that this is something never seen before with the market?
rathgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 08:34 AM   #31

Quote:
Hi all,
are any of you getting concerned that this is something never seen before with the market?
It's not normal, but certainly not unprecedented.

Here is the one year chart. Looks pretty rough, doesn't it?

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 10.30.16 AM.jpg

Now here is the 20 year chart, and you can see we've been here before.

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 10.31.48 AM.jpg
Old 02-28-2020, 08:42 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by racy View Post
As long as it's sitting you're not losing money. You'll only lose money if you sell out now. You're the one that controls whether or not you lose money...not the ups & downs of the market.
Not only that maybe it was never worth what those nice numbers showed in your portfolio reports, only worth it if you cashed it out then,, but who would do that FOMO/market going even higher.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:44 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I'm a poster child for selling at the wrong time, then not buying at the right time. Around Christmas 2018 the market dropped a huge amount, then crept up a hair and I held off buying, waiting for it to drop again. Our cash sat for over a year making next to nothing. At least I didn't panic sell, as I'd done at an earlier crash. Also failed to be in the market for years of major growth after that crash. Selling at the highest and buying at the lowest is just about impossible - not selling, in the faith that the sun WILL come up tomorrow, is a safer bet.
Vanguard will make moving everything from ML really easy by the way.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:59 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Vanguard will make moving everything from ML really easy by the way.
+1

Vanguard/Fidelity/Schwab will do the move for you, they just need to know the ML account numbers and they will transfer the money. You will not have to "fire" your ML agent or even speak to her to tell her you are closing the account.
Go-NoGo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:07 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hi all,
We have seen it, and much worse, and riding it out has done just fine.

Also, don't forget that these large drops occur after a run up. If you weren't in the market, you wouldn't be up enough to drop this much!

Perspective: A 60/40 balanced fund (VBINX) is UP ~ 9% over the past year. Stop worrying about day-to-day, and think long term. Here's a 10 year look of 60/40 versus just bonds. Your 60/40 could drop 70%, and you'd still be ahead of a bond-only portfolio.

link to chart (you need to set the scrub bar to the desired time frame):

https://stockcharts.com/freecharts/perf.php?VBINX,VBMFX

Relax. -ERD50
Attached Images
File Type: png 10YR-Bond-vs-60-40-27FEB2020.png (42.3 KB, 44 views)
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 02:31 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hi all,
No I am not concerned. It is the nature of investing that sometimes things go down. Look at Braumeister's 20 year chart. You have to look at the long term. I don't really understand why you are at Merrill Lynch and would not lock in losses to go buy an annuity.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 08:05 AM   #37

Quote:
....are any of you getting concerned that this is something never seen before with the market?
What concerns me is that you're still dwelling on this.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:52 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by racy View Post
Quote:
Hi all,
What concerns me is that you're still dwelling on this.
I just looked back at rathgar's posting history. Not sure she's reading the replies, at least there aren't many responses from her. And she doesn't seem to be accepting any of the obviously good advice either.

Still with Merrill-Lynch after this? :

100K in Cash - Merrill Advisor Yelling At Me to Invest

https://www.early-retirement.org/for...st-101948.html

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 07:25 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Hi all,
This is normal. The market (almost) randomly goes up and down. Best thing to do is automatically buy fixed dollar amount of the market every month. If the market is low, you get more shares; if the market is high you get less shares. If you can't sleep well, check the market less often. This could be the fourth major downturn I've rode to the bottom.

The long term market return is 9.2%. The average investor earns 3%. Don't be the average investor.
SnowBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 07:17 PM   #40

Quote:
Thanks all,

In regard to the bolded quote above...you are being unnecessarily negative and hard on yourself. What you mean to say is Hey - I'm a teacher. I help people to learn stuff they don't know every day. I can do the same for myself and learn enough about investing to free myself from ML and take charge of my financial life!

I echo the advice you've received above. Don't sell now. No annuities. Maybe work another year. Educate yourself.

Best wishes.