Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-01-2017, 12:00 PM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You stiffed the jeweler?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2017, 12:11 PM   #182
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
You stiffed the jeweler?
Never... just hadn't finished paying yet. Still had 14 months to go.
Frugal... until...
Old 11-01-2017, 12:30 PM   #183
Confused about dryer sheets

Frugal... until...

I'm frugal in most of my spending.. until disaster strikes! Just had my 25 year old gas oven crap out. Having to buy a new one and it ain't cheap! Makes me glad I don't blow a lot of my retirement money on stuff I really don't need.
nbseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:31 PM   #184
Give me a forum ...

Ah, she didn't know you were on the "diamond credit plan" eh?
Old 11-01-2017, 12:53 PM   #185
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbseer View Post
I'm frugal in most of my spending.. until disaster strikes! Just had my 25 year old gas oven crap out. Having to buy a new one and it ain't cheap! Makes me glad I don't blow a lot of my retirement money on stuff I really don't need.

Our 23 year old cooktop has 2 burners that don't work(and parts aren't available anymore). Told DW that at this rate the remaining 2 burners should last another 23 years.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:02 PM   #186
Give me a forum ...

I knew I'd found the right guy when Mr. A. took me ring shopping (one of those discount jewelry places - we were LBYM even then) and after I picked out a solitaire, he said, "Are you sure? Do you want a bigger one?" and was quite serious. I knew what he made (since we're both govvies) and how much child support he was paying, so I wasn't about to push the envelope! He has always loved to see me wearing jewelry.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:05 PM   #187
Give me a forum ...

We were in a similar situation, and had to replace a perfectly good countertop when we bought a replacement cooktop, since the kind/size we had was no longer available. Boy, I hated to do that. I even considered buying two hotplates to replace the dead burners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Our 23 year old cooktop has 2 burners that don't work(and parts aren't available anymore). Told DW that at this rate the remaining 2 burners should last another 23 years.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:56 PM   #188
Recycles dryer sheets

I always try to take a couple of tens when I fly and give them to the airport bathroom cleaning folks. Talk about a thankless job. I've had them cry and I just try to hand it to them and get out. If I can afford to travel I can afford to tip!
Throwdownmyaceinthehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:56 PM   #189
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Can you believe?... 59 years later, and she's still holding a grudge.
DW has an amazing memory! She remembers things that I had completely forgotten about. It amazes me.

(sometimes it shocks me)
Old 11-01-2017, 01:56 PM   #190
Give me a forum ...

Come to think of it, it is rare that we need to use more than 2 burners at once. Some people may just welcome the burners getting all dead. They would eat out or call for pizza delivery the rest of their life.

Back on being frugal, this year so far has seen me getting very nice investment returns, at the same time that my expenses are the lowest since I started to keep track meticulously (about 7 years ago).

What happens? Well, no change in lifestyle, but no major home repair/improvement this year, no big medical or dental bills, no 2nd daughter to marry off, no college tuition, no big gift to the kids to help them with buying a home.

Perhaps the market god will take it all back soon, but just the return in October was about the same as what I spent YTD.

Can't think of anything big I want to spend money on. Should be thinking about next year travel, but I am too busy designing and planning for the DIY solar/power storage.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:23 PM   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Great uncle had plenty of $$$ but did not want to spend it... house was hopelessly outdated... two of the 4 stove burners didn't work but he was too cheap to replace the stove and only needed two burners at a time anyway.
Quote:
Is there a theme developing here?
Old 11-01-2017, 02:47 PM   #192
Give me a forum ...

Not to mention the ones who clean rest stop bathrooms. The Augean Stables come to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwdownmyaceinthehole View Post
I always try to take a couple of tens when I fly and give them to the airport bathroom cleaning folks. Talk about a thankless job.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:48 PM   #193
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
LOL! Was it a big jar?
No, probably a bit smaller than the normal jars. But, no seed oils and it has the slight off-white color of the Mayo I had in Brussels years ago. Maybe better? I'll let you know.

In any event one jar won't break the food budget. But, if it is not any better than 'ordinary' Mayo, I won't buy it again.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:50 PM   #194
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI_RElater View Post
Priced....and BOUGHT.... a new F250 4 x 4 for just under $40k

Just doing our part for the economy (and still under 3% WR)
I remember when homes sold for that and I am only middle age. Kind of scary to think about.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:59 PM   #195
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
No, probably a bit smaller than the normal jars. But, no seed oils and it has the slight off-white color of the Mayo I had in Brussels years ago. Maybe better? I'll let you know.

In any event one jar won't break the food budget. But, if it is not any better than 'ordinary' Mayo, I won't buy it again.
I've been using avocado oil mayo, but bought it from HEB I think.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:10 PM   #196

Quote:

Instead of the $220 for a control board I went to Home Depot and picked out a range. It came with a ding in it so they knocked $75 off.

So for the week
$800 tires.
$350 for oven.
$350 dentist bill I forgot to pay before the 6 week trip.
$350 for repair of fence wind damaged while I was on the trip.
$850 Home owners insurance came due.

All stuff budgeted for. All expected. But still feels tough when it all hits at once on top of the travel expenses.
Therapist says it's normal to have feelings that are at odds with reality when it comes to money. She says most all of us have our relationship to money set at an early adult age. Hence my sig ~ a poor man with a bit of money.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:15 PM   #197
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtheulen View Post
Well said
As an old farmer told me when i was a young man:
He had never seen a hearst pulling a U-Haul!
They don't have a luggage rack on top, either
ScottS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:43 PM   #198
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
Instead of the $220 for a control board I went to Home Depot and picked out a range. It came with a ding in it so they knocked $75 off.

So for the week
$800 tires.
$350 for oven.
$350 dentist bill I forgot to pay before the 6 week trip.
$350 for repair of fence wind damaged while I was on the trip.
$850 Home owners insurance came due.

All stuff budgeted for. All expected. But still feels tough when it all hits at once on top of the travel expenses.
Wow, that's awful! I guess we all have weeks like that sometimes, but mentioning that probably doesn't help even a little bit. Hopefully you won't have another week like this one, for a very long time.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:05 PM   #199

Retirees are too frugal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Wow, that's awful! I guess we all have weeks like that sometimes, but mentioning that probably doesn't help even a little bit. Hopefully you won't have another week like this one, for a very long time.

Thanks. In reality the range and fence plus a hundred bucks for furnace filters and lawn mower / snow blower gas is all the home maintenance expenses I had this year.- way under budget.
The tires could have been done since June. 50,000 miles on old pair.
The dentist was part of a $500 bill and add in $200 in doctor and therapist copays for the year and I'm damn lucky there!
Somehow every October I get that surprise home owners bill.

It's been a decent year, just the ingrained feelings about the money and timing make it tough.
So even though the week was bad, the year was better than expected.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:54 PM   #200
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
Thanks. In reality the range and fence plus a hundred bucks for furnace filters and lawn mower / snow blower gas is all the home maintenance expenses I had this year.- way under budget.
The tires could have been done since June. 50,000 miles on old pair.
The dentist was part of a $500 bill and add in $200 in doctor and therapist copays for the year and I'm damn lucky there!
Somehow every October I get that surprise home owners bill.

It's been a decent year, just the ingrained feelings about the money and timing make it tough.
So even though the week was bad, the year was better than expected.
Well hey, there's a lot to be said for that! I am glad the whole year wasn't so bad.