Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-28-2017, 12:01 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just ordered up 5 lbs of jumbo Chestnuts from RC Farms in Oregon for fifty bucks.

Last year the grocery didn't carry them. I will have my fresh (home) roasted chestnuts for the holidays this year. Big fat ones too -

Blow that dough!
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Retirees are too frugal!
Old 10-28-2017, 12:24 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Retirees are too frugal!

My spending is up this month.
Home owners insurance due.
New tires for Camry.
Oven died. $230 for parts or $400 for a new range.
Took a date to Arlo Guthrie concert.
Fence blew down snapped a post. Had to hire out the repair as I was on the road.
$400 gas for RV.
Doing my part to keep the economy going.

Ps... Stone Crab season just opened in Florida, need to have a few pounds shipped up.
Old 10-28-2017, 01:04 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Go and price a new truck. It will look like they are giving away those $40K cars...
Indeed!

I recently read an article that Ford is coming out with some luxury model pickup truck that if fully loaded with options can clear $80k. Yikes!

On a smaller scale I'm trying to do my part. I just got an email from Horizon Hobby after buying another airplane that I'm now a member of their "Pro" club because I spent more than $1k on hobby stuff in the last 12 months. This gets me reward points so I can buy more hobby stuff and some free shipping.

Sigh. So many airplanes. So little time....
Old 10-28-2017, 01:33 PM   #44
gone traveling

If the economy is depending on me to spend $40k for a new car just because I can, then it's in for a big disappointment.

I spend on things that make a difference to myself and my family. A $40k+ new car isn't on that list.

For many years I've been able to spend more than I do. If I'm happy, and my family is happy, then the economy can just f*ck off.

Get off my lawn you damn economies!
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 02:06 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

If the economy is not doing well, your investment returns will be lousy, or may even crash.

That said, it is of course better if someone else is doing the lifting, while you enjoy the result. It's the same as when someone else is drafted to go to war, while you get deferral.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_thrift.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 02:19 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I try to spend more each and every month but my stash still continues to grow and grow. I don't seem to need more "stuff", both cars are paid for, no mortgage, even DW has cut down her trips to Amazon.

Anyone need cash?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 02:50 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Clearly, I'm on the wrong board to be talking to anyone about the price of cars.
If it makes you feel better, DW went out this summer and bought a new BMW X5. Not to be outdone, last month I got a new Mercedes S.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:22 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I just ordered up 5 lbs of jumbo Chestnuts from RC Farms in Oregon for fifty bucks.

Last year the grocery didn't carry them. I will have my fresh (home) roasted chestnuts for the holidays this year. Big fat ones too -

Blow that dough!
With all due respect Robbie, I think you may have to move past luxury foodstuffs if you really want to move the spending dial.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 03:29 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Did you see my first 2 posts in this thread?

Hey, every penny blown counts -
Old 10-28-2017, 03:34 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

We used to spend much more but got interested in decluttering and sustainable living and have no interest in going back to our old ways. For us the hedonic treadmill is a real thing. I'd rather leave the money to the kids and abused elephants than buy things we don't need. I already have a $30K car with enough miles left I may not need another in this lifetime anyway. We go out every day and I like the math and research part of finding fun things to do that don't break the bank. Tonight we have a Halloween party on an aircraft carrier with two bands and a DJ. DH says one party only but we'll see. I have a second party lined up for later.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 03:42 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

I can't see spending 40k for a car. The last one I bought, a new one in 2007 (just under 2 years before I ERed), was a Toyota Corolla CE, the low-end model. It cost me $18k. My plan is to have it last at least another 5 years when I will have access to my first "reinforcement," unfettered access to my IRA.

The only major item I spend unexpectedly large amounts on in the last few years is health care. Two years ago, I had my 12-day hospital stay and I hit the maximums on OOP expenses, about $6,400. That's about 1/3 of a car, for me!

In late 2015, I needed to replace my toilet. It cost me about $530. Money well spent, compared to having it overflow the day before because the whole thing was failing (BLECH!).
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 04:41 PM   #52

I guess I fail on the big spending club. I bought a new car in August to replace the 12 year old one (still have the 22 year old truck)... $22k for a subaru... And I'm very happy with it.

I still have Sequence of Returns risk phobia... Only been retired for 3 years. I promise I'll loosen up the purse strings in about 8 years.

That will coincide with younger son finishing college (hopefully).

I do expect the travel budget to bump up in 4 years when younger son enters college. And of course college expenses will add significantly to my contribution to the economy.

It's great to feel all happy about the market gains... but the market doesn't always go up... so I'm staying frugal for a while more. Keeping my spending low enough to qualify for some (not maxed) premium tax credits... and hopefully a low "expected family contribution" for colleges... Much of our money is in pre-tax accounts - so we pay taxes (and show income) on withdrawals... so that makes us very cautious about pulling too much out when FAFSA EFC, ACA PTC, and other tax consequences could have big hits on the *actual* amount we'd be able to spend.
Old 10-28-2017, 04:48 PM   #53
gone traveling

Frugality is what’s allowed most of us to Fire and it’s hard to break from the habit of saving and living within means.
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 05:56 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
We just bought a 2018 Camry hybrid. 50 to 52 mpg in town. Running 75 to 80, it drops to 48 mpg. And it is a car of the future. It is actually quite quick in acceleration.
The 2018 LE is rated at 50 mpg. The SE and XLE are rated at 44. The engines appear the be the same. Any idea of the reason for the difference?
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 06:03 PM   #55

Quote:
Did you see my first 2 posts in this thread?

Hey, every penny blown counts -
Hey Robbie:

I think you need to loosen the purse strings a little more. Point that new Lincoln over the Altamont Pass toward the Bay Area. Make a right at 680 and stop at the Danville Costco. There's a bottle of scotch in the case with your name on it. It's called Tamdhu single malt and it's only $14,999. Cheers!

ETA: I think this is the one. https://www.tamdhu50.com/
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 06:08 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
The 2018 LE is rated at 50 mpg. The SE and XLE are rated at 44. The engines appear the be the same. Any idea of the reason for the difference?
The LE has a different battery pack and weighs 100 lbs less.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 06:42 PM   #57

Quote:
Hey Robbie:

I think you need to loosen the purse strings a little more. Point that new Lincoln over the Altamont Pass toward the Bay Area. Make a right at 680 and stop at the Danville Costco. There's a bottle of scotch in the case with your name on it. It's called Tamdhu single malt and it's only $14,999. Cheers!

do you think they'd offer me a free sample?
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 06:47 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hey Robbie:

They won't let me in, I'm not a Costco member, I refuse to pay to shop.

I did buy a bottle of Macallan Rare Cask at BevMo for $250.
Old 10-28-2017, 06:52 PM   #59
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
They won't let me in, I'm not a Costco member, I refuse to pay to shop.
Cheapskate.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:10 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
I fall into this camp, the hardest thing I can cope with is seeing our "Nut" decrease. I hate it. Even if we divided it by 30 years (Not including Investments or CD interest) we could not spend it all. Bear in mind I am a VERY VERY concervative investor and only have fixed income investments. Add $30 pa SS in a few years and I still cannot get used to it. Shhhhhhhh.
$$$$ hoarder.

While I understand the physcologal difficulty to spend after so many years of frugality, I think I'm over it. Not that we're big spenders by any means... but I'm fine with spending as long as I'm getting a solid value. But at the end of the day I saved all this money to spend in my retirement, not to hoard it.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote