Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-28-2017, 07:14 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
They won't let me in, I'm not a Costco member, I refuse to pay to shop.

I did buy a bottle of Macallan Rare Cask at BevMo for $250.
No Costco membership required to buy alcohol (usually - some cities have overriding restrictions).
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2017, 07:51 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

I think we’ll be buying a newer car/SUV in the next few months. We’ll be replacing my wife’s 2001 Lexus RX 300 with over 200k miles. I imagine we’ll be spending approx 40k for the replacement, which I anticipate we’ll have for another 15 years or so. We also have a 2004 Expedition with a little over 190k miles so we tend to keep our vehicles awhile.
kevdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 07:57 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
No Costco membership required to buy alcohol (usually - some cities have overriding restrictions).
Here they card you at the front door.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 07:58 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Did you see my first 2 posts in this thread?

Hey, every penny blown counts -

I do get a kick out of your posts.
kevdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 08:42 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, after holding the line budget-wise for the last 2 years, we went nuts this year. We spent twice as much as budgeted on travel. It was wonderful; we were gone from home 2 out of the last 6 months.

Bought a decent used car, in the form of dental implants. Got to do what you got to do...

At least the vacations were a blast.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:48 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
M
Oven died. $230 for parts or $400 for a new range.
Fridge and clothes dryer started acting up. Instead of spending on parts and labor (or have DW "supervise" my DYI efforts!), I just bought new stuff. I decided to buy lower-middle of the road replacements, and just expect to throw them away every decade. I'm calling it an upgrade

On the other hand, our computers are almost museum pieces by some folks standards, but we "like" them and have managed to keep them usefully employed. Apple stuff is too $$$ for us to upgrade regularly...
Old 10-28-2017, 09:21 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

OK, if Robbie wants to have the excuse of not having Costco membership to avoid blowing $15K on a bottle of Scotch, I understand. However, he can always go get a bottle of Louis XIII Cognac like BCG has done, and it is a lot less too. It should be available at a higher-end liquor store, or they can order it for him.

As for me, I may, just may, get a Louis XIII for my 65th birthday. Or I may chicken out like I did at my 60th. At any rate, there's no chance in hell I will spend $15K for a single-malt, not being even a whisky drinker myself.

And while we talk about booze, recently at my high-country boondock home when we had both children, my son-in-law, my niece and her husband up there, I opened the special Remy Martin bottle I brought back from Cognac, France (they claimed it was not exported to the US).

We were sitting out on the deck, around a firepit. In sampling and comparing it with other Cognac bottles, I found that I preferred another French XO that's 1/3 the cost. And that latter bottle is available at Total Wine. Hah!

So, spending more does not necessarily get you what you like most. My son-in-law liked that special Remy Martin the best though.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:39 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Oh yeah, I am a fan of buying stuff I like and avoiding stuff I don't like.

I bought 1 bottle of Dom Perignon. Don't like it. Found it too dry and rather tasteless.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:44 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here they card you at the front door.
They card you at the front door at all Costcos. You just tell them you are there to buy alcohol/wine/beer and they will let you in.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:00 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Go and price a new truck. It will look like they are giving away those $40K cars...

I’ll stick with my paid for truck! My philosophy on card has always been pay cash and buy used with about 30k miles on it to lessen the pain. Oh and decide what you want first, drive a new one, then drive several used til you find a good deal.
Yarnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:01 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh yeah, I am a fan of buying stuff I like and avoiding stuff I don't like.

I bought 1 bottle of Dom Perignon. Don't like it. Found it too dry and rather tasteless.
But you don't know if you do not like that $15K bottle unless you try it.

Sometimes, you can tell without trying though. For example, I already do not care about my son's Audi S4, nor my brother's BMW X5. So, the chance of me being wowed by the Tesla's "ridiculous acceleration" or "stupendous" or whatever they call it is zilch. I do not drive fast, not since I was 30.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 11:03 PM   #72
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
Took a date to Arlo Guthrie concert.

Arlo Guthrie is still alive?!
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 11:12 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
They card you at the front door at all Costcos. You just tell them you are there to buy alcohol/wine/beer and they will let you in.
At our local Costco, the liquor store is adjacent (but attached) to the main store. It’s part of Costco, but is separate and no card required. Very good prices, but still not as good as Total Wine.
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 02:01 AM   #74

If you’re not spending now after 8 years of a bull market, you never will. What are you going to do when markets drop? Sell car and bike everywhere, pick food out of dumpsters?
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 04:04 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
If you’re not spending now after 8 years of a bull market, you never will. What are you going to do when markets drop? Sell car and bike everywhere, pick food out of dumpsters?
8 years of bull market, but only 18 m months of retirement for me. So I've had the luxury of spending AND seeing the nut grow.

I am steeling myself for the year I have to spend my chosen WR and drop 10% in the markets, and hope I still have the balls to live my life.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:18 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtig View Post
At our local Costco, the liquor store is adjacent (but attached) to the main store. It’s part of Costco, but is separate and no card required. Very good prices, but still not as good as Total Wine.
We have an attached liquor store (which is not Costco owned), but Costco still sells wine and beer inside the store. It's a completely different wine selection from the attached liquor store including all the Kirkland brand wines and much better prices - that's what you want to compare to Total Wine. Someone can buy those items without a membership. You just tell them at the store entrance.

It depends on the state whether hard liquor is sold inside Costco with the beer and wine. In TX hard liquor may only be sold in a liquor store. And there are further restrictions on who may sell liquor (spirits) which is why Costco doesn't even own the attached liquor store.
Quote:
Texas law currently excludes publicly traded corporations from selling hard alcohol and limits the number of liquor stores a company can own to five. Two bills filed in February by state Sen. Kelly Hancock, R-North Richland Hills, and state Rep. Jason Isaac, R-Dripping Springs, would repeal those laws.
https://www.texastribune.org/2015/03...-liquor-fight/

The reason membership is not required to buy alcohol inside the Costco store is that most states have laws against requiring store memberships to buy alcohol.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:26 AM   #77

FWIW, I recently ordered a new car that is nearly twice the price of the last one I bought. My first "luxury" car and I'm kind of excited about it.

In the words of one of our favorite members, "Blow that dough!"
Old 10-29-2017, 07:49 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
I just forked over 30K for a new CRV for DW. Once I do the math and calculate that it's the way to go for me, I'm OK with it.
I wouldn't have bought a Ford or a Chevy, but with her new Honda, and my 2 year old Toyota, I figure we're good for a decade.
Now, back to recycling my dryer sheets.
+1

Currently have a 10 year old Accord with 133k and wifey has 2 year old Camry with 25 k. I think I'll start looking to replace my accord in another 5 or 6 years...
IMATERP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:00 AM   #79

I have a 2004 VW passat, with no heat, no AC, the glove compartment door is broken, computer LED screen is broken, and a few other issues, but it’s parked outside in a parking lot, been hit a few times, but if I had a garage I would have a nice car.
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:03 AM   #80
Gone but not forgotten

? If one has an older car that runs well and is in good condition, why buy a new car that will lose $3,000 to $5,000 in value, when it leaves the dealership?