Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-30-2017, 12:46 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Oh yeah, this is easy to see. Everyone is different. If you retire really early you have to watch more closely than if you are later to the game. A bankroll that only has to last 30 years can be spent larger than that same roll that has to last 50. Some have children, some have medical, some have children with medical.

Everyone is different and the only thing that matters is to do what's right for you.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2017, 01:03 PM   #122
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Touring with his sons and daughter.
Missed last years 50 th anniversary Alice's Restaurant tour.
"You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant, excepting Alice"

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 03:11 PM   #123
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Didn't read all the replies here. I just don't get the implied need to spend all you safely can if you just don't want more than what you have and than what you do. Didn't get here by spending all I could when working, so why now? Even at a 3% with the pension and some SS we have about 30% more income possible than needed. But that's just OK. I look at my 2011 truck w 30k miles and think I ought to just get a new one. WHY? This one does everything I want it to, looks fine, runs fine, and has new tires. I sure don't give a ___ what anyone thinks about what I drive.

I've written about this sentiment before. I just don't get the angst about not having/doing all you COULD if you just spent what you can. It makes no sense. To me anyway. Something has to have value to me part with money for it. It would if I had $20 million. Yes we could start gifting to the kids now, but they don't need it and they live about as well or better than we did, and save for retirement. Would their lives be better if we started "funding" their retirement? Their lives might involve more spending but would they be better?
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 05:33 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Have you seen the new Tom Brady Aston Martin? Beautiful car, only 12 made. A bit rich for my budget but fun to read about it!
Too rich for me too. Aston Martins have a reputation of being expensive for what you get in actual performance. My brother in law had one, I drove it and wasn’t too impressed.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 05:40 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
Didn't read all the replies here. I just don't get the implied need to spend all you safely can if you just don't want more than what you have and than what you do. Didn't get here by spending all I could when working, so why now? Even at a 3% with the pension and some SS we have about 30% more income possible than needed. But that's just OK. I look at my 2011 truck w 30k miles and think I ought to just get a new one. WHY? This one does everything I want it to, looks fine, runs fine, and has new tires. I sure don't give a ___ what anyone thinks about what I drive.

I've written about this sentiment before. I just don't get the angst about not having/doing all you COULD if you just spent what you can. It makes no sense. To me anyway. Something has to have value to me part with money for it. It would if I had $20 million. Yes we could start gifting to the kids now, but they don't need it and they live about as well or better than we did, and save for retirement. Would their lives be better if we started "funding" their retirement? Their lives might involve more spending but would they be better?
Cant argue with your line of reasoning. But in the end you can only spend it or give it away (I view this as a form of spending) now or later. So you have to deal with all your money sooner or later. Spending for spending sake is wasting it, in my view. That doesn’t seem to be what people are saying though (well maybe Robbie). Somebody in your position might want to look at more charitable giving? Now or later?
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:19 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Spending for spending's sake? Is that all I'm good for? I dunno, maybe I'm wasting my time here. Or maybe you all just don't believe me?

I like white truffles, I'm going to buy them again. They tickle my fancy. The flavor is indescribable, you just have to eat some to know. It's an experience that costs lotsa dough. And you think I'm wasting it?

I'm doing the cooking...I don't have a private chef.

Danmar Whasssuuuppp? Got that INTJ jones going too?
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:32 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Too rich for me too. Aston Martins have a reputation of being expensive for what you get in actual performance. My brother in law had one, I drove it and wasn’t too impressed.

Well that makes me feel better. Ever since James Bond movies came into my life, I've admired Aston Martins. I just don't think I'd ever feel they were worth the price even if I could technically afford one.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:34 PM   #128

Quote:

I agree with your logic. I've just always been able to find things I enjoy enough to spend money on. If I had $20 million, I think I could find more things I'd enjoy spending on, and would also be more generous with gifting.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 07:10 PM   #129

We are actually kicking up the charitable considerably, and intend to dump a bunch into 6 grandkids college funds in the longer term. Meanwhile we just enjoy the knowledge that we're at a really conservative WR, doing what we want, and don't need to worry about it. As they say, Life is Good.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:34 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Spending for spending's sake? Is that all I'm good for? I dunno, maybe I'm wasting my time here. Or maybe you all just don't believe me?

I like white truffles, I'm going to buy them again. They tickle my fancy. The flavor is indescribable, you just have to eat some to know. It's an experience that costs lotsa dough. And you think I'm wasting it?

I believe you. I think you are a dedicated foodie. Nothing wrong with that. I’m a foodie myself, but my tastes are somewhat more plebeian, such as buying top quality Italian Parmiggiano-Reggiano, fresh organic produce, etc.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:40 PM   #131
gone traveling

When your parents are 95 and apparently are going to live to 200.
When your wife is 9 years younger than you.
Maybe, frugality is good.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:47 PM   #132

Ok, DW & I went out for a nice Italian dinner with old college friends at a popular overpriced mall. The food was excellent, but the prices were reasonable and, even worse, a one buddy secretly paid the check before we could all chip in.

We had after dinner drinks, and I thought I had a chance to blow some dough. Well, the group tab was only $25, including a decent tip. A dirt-cheap fancy dinner around here...

Oh, well I tried. Back to planning our winter road trip...
Old 10-31-2017, 04:04 AM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Charitable giving is good, and we do it; but I got far more satisfaction this weekend in D.C., giving cash tips to young immigrant Uber drivers who were beating up their Toyota Corollas and taking it on the chin in rainy city traffic for a couple bucks per fare. If I paid $8.00 to go from the hotel to the National Mall, they probably got $3.00 and spent $1.00 of it on gas. So the light in a young fellow's eyes, and the hearty "Thank you very much, madame" at a $5.00 tip was something to see. When was the last time you saw somebody delighted to get five bucks?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:28 AM   #134

Quote:
I just ordered up 5 lbs of jumbo Chestnuts from RC Farms in Oregon for fifty bucks.

Last year the grocery didn't carry them. I will have my fresh (home) roasted chestnuts for the holidays this year. Big fat ones too -

Blow that dough!
Old 10-31-2017, 05:33 AM   #135

Actually I don't think retirees are too frugal, I think we are just more "careful" with our spending.

Now yes I could blow 40K on a new car but how often does that happen? I keep my cars for 9-10 years generally and then I usually hand them down to the minions. So no real "stimulating" the economy there.

like others have said, I'm trying to purge and declutter (not going so well, lol). I guess my biggest expenditure is eating out.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:39 AM   #136

Quote:

But here's another way to look at it. the fact remains that you are going to die. So at some point you either spend it, give it away or you die with a big bank account. Now being the richest gal in the grave yard doesn't make much sense to me.

Wow, A 7 year old truck with only 30K miles on it is darn near brand new in my world. I wouldn't get a new one either. Generally I put 30K miles on my car a year!! so for me, around year 8,9 and 10 I'm looking to replace.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:37 AM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's great that your kids are well off.

I much prefer gifting now rather than after I pass. We don't have kids, so our gifting goes to siblings who can most definitely use it.

But I like the idea anyway. I like seeing them enjoy it while I'm alive.

I leave it up the the individuals we gift to to figure out how to make their lives better.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:44 AM   #138
Give me a forum ...

The line between frugality and hoarding can sometimes be quite thin.

And other times not so thin. Great uncle had plenty of $$$ but did not want to spend it... house was hopelessly outdated... two of the 4 stove burners didn't work but he was too cheap to replace the stove and only needed two burners at a time anyway. You get the idea. He ultimately lived alone in filth and his own feces because nursing homes and home care assistance was "too expensive". His daughter is enjoying his nut.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:22 AM   #139

Quote:

I completely understand, and I think most of us do. I like to treat myself to little luxuries once in a while; you just do it more than I do. As to Danmar, I think he probably just forgot to include a smiley in his post -- he's certainly not a negative person.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:28 AM   #140
Give me a forum ...

I totally enjoy RobbieB's enthusiastic "blow more dough" posts where he advises us of his latest gourmet purchase.

Expensive foodstuffs still cost quite a bit less than international travel - not including the $15K bottle of liquor, of course.

Well, he did buy that wild diamond ring.....

Yep, Danmar is just having fun.