Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-29-2017, 08:56 AM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtig View Post
Arlo Guthrie is still alive?!

Touring with his sons and daughter.
Missed last years 50 th anniversary Alice's Restaurant tour.
His daughter is a very good singer songwriter. I was impressed.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2017, 09:41 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
If you’re not spending now after 8 years of a bull market, you never will. What are you going to do when markets drop?
This was my thought as well. Don’t spend now because you are concerned that the market will drop. Dont spend when the market drops. When do you spend?

We have changed our thinking on this recently. Portfolio average total returns about 15% CAGR for last 5 years. Up till this year just spent divs. Now decided to take some money off the table. Spending a bit like a drunken sailor. More than doubled travel expense, planning 2 major reno’s for next year, large gift to daughter, would buy a couple new cars if needed but old ones are relatively new, lots on clothes, gifts, etc. Life is really good.

Edit to add. Just put a new car in the 2019 budget. Also, forgot we ordered a new boat for next year. Yippee.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:57 AM   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
This was my thought as well. Don’t spend now because you are concerned that the market will drop. Dont spend when the market drops. When do you spend?

We have changed our thinking on this recently. Portfolio average total returns about 15% CAGR for last 5 years. Up till this year just spent divs. Now decided to take some money off the table. Spending a bit like a drunken sailor. More than doubled travel expense, planning 2 major reno’s for next year, large gift to daughter, would buy a couple new cars if needed but old ones are relatively new, lots on clothes, gifts, etc. Life is really good.
I think you are doing just exactly the right thing! Now is the time to spend, I agree completely.

And thanks for the ideas. I am ready to spend like a drunken sailor too, just thinking about the best ways to spend it. I don't like travel, and my "dream home" doesn't really need any renovations. My daughter has more money than I do. I am thinking about buying a new car, maybe. Don't really need one yet.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:05 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I think you are doing just exactly the right thing! Now is the time to spend, I agree completely.

And thanks for the ideas. I am ready to spend like a drunken sailor too, just thinking about the best ways to spend it. I don't like travel, and my "dream home" doesn't really need any renovations. My daughter has more money than I do. I am thinking about buying a new car, maybe. Don't really need one yet.
Well I wouldn’t spend for the sake of spending, but you might want to sell some stock and hold more cash in anticipation of future spending?
Old 10-29-2017, 10:14 AM   #85
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I went on a small (discretionary) spending spree in the beginning of 2014. I bought my ladyfriend a better (refurbished) PC to replace the crummy one of mine she had been using for a while. Bought some clothes and a few other things, too. But it's comforting to know that one of these rare sprees won't bust up my budget, just use up some of the usual surplus I build into my budget. IOW, no big deal.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:23 AM   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well I wouldn’t spend for the sake of spending, but you might want to sell some stock and hold more cash in anticipation of future spending?
That's something worth thinking about, you're right. Friday my portfolio was larger than it has ever been before in my life. Seems like I have been saying that frequently during the past few months.

I might get a whole house generator and hurricane shutters.

Old 10-29-2017, 10:33 AM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That's what I do - keep taking all the income due according to my %remaining portfolio even if I don't spend it all in the current year. Whatever is leftover at the end of the year is available to spend whenever I want.

I much prefer to take the income out while the markets are high even if I don't "need" it all.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:38 AM   #88
Recycles dryer sheets

We usually watch what we spend but do take nice vacations. Earlier this year I mentioned that our net worth hit a certain mark, so my wife thought “what the heck” and started to spend more than usual on nicer clothing and shoes. She recently bought a couple of nice jackets for the winter, thinking she would return one. But, decided she liked them both so is keeping them.

In August we spent about $12k on a Caribbean cruise and a few extra days at Atlantis in a nice suite. Over Christmas break we will be going to the Philippines, which will run about another $10k.
kevdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:41 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
With all due respect Robbie, I think you may have to move past luxury foodstuffs if you really want to move the spending dial.
I cannot make any sense out of Robbie's spending hobby, but it definitely is one of the more entertaining regularities of the board.

Ha
Old 10-29-2017, 10:45 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Kind of doubt that any drunken sailor in the history of the world has ever had a shopping list that resembled yours.

Ha
Old 10-29-2017, 10:52 AM   #91
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

I might get a whole house generator and hurricane shutters.
That would probably give you a lot of peace of mind .We have hurricane proof windows and a generator but I am considering a larger one.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:01 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
That's what I do - keep taking all the income due according to my %remaining portfolio even if I don't spend it all in the current year. Whatever is leftover at the end of the year is available to spend whenever I want.

I much prefer to take the income out while the markets are high even if I don't "need" it all.
Yes, I thought of you when I posted that. I approach it a little differently though. Given my very good equity returns I have increased my WR somewhat (maybe 1-2%) with the expectation I will spend the excess over the next year or two. I would expect to reduce this WR if, as, and when appropriate.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:54 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

From time to time I have thought of getting a generator. Mostly in the early days when the power used to go out with some regularity due to all the housing construction me thinks. Power much more reliable now, so not so much.

However if I do it will be powered by natural gas so all I'll need to do is start it and run it regularly and change the oil. Not have to worry about stale gasoline and draining same.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:13 PM   #94
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
However if I do it will be powered by natural gas so all I'll need to do is start it and run it regularly and change the oil. Not have to worry about stale gasoline and draining same.
That's the main reason I don't have one yet. I am lazy and don't want to do the maintenance, even starting it and changing the oil regularly. And another thing is that I absolutely despise loud, scary machinery. It's easier to just go somewhere else where there is electricity, for a few days. Our electrical workers are amazing after hurricanes, and generally have the power back surprisingly fast, often in just a matter of hours. And, the power never seems to go out here except after hurricanes and even then, not always. OK, so I convinced myself, I don't really want or need a generator.

See? Spending money is harder than it sounds. I am sure something will occur to me eventually.

Old 10-29-2017, 12:32 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
? If one has an older car that runs well and is in good condition, why buy a new car that will lose $3,000 to $5,000 in value, when it leaves the dealership?
But not everyone looks at a car like you and I do: a means of transport.

When you love something, it's different. Why do women love diamonds? If one has to ask, he is never going to understand.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:51 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

I can tell you that my girlfriend just loves hers;

I see her looking at it all the time -
Old 10-29-2017, 12:58 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

And while we talk about booze, recently at my high-country boondock home when we had both children, my son-in-law, my niece and her husband up there, I opened the special Remy Martin bottle I brought back from Cognac, France (they claimed it was not exported to the US).

We were sitting out on the deck, around a firepit. In sampling and comparing it with other Cognac bottles, I found that I preferred another French XO that's 1/3 the cost. And that latter bottle is available at Total Wine. Hah!
Which one do you recommend? Do tell, I'm getting thirsty...
Old 10-29-2017, 01:03 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
If you’re not spending now after 8 years of a bull market, you never will. What are you going to do when markets drop? Sell car and bike everywhere, pick food out of dumpsters?
That was my reasoning (excuse?) this year. I feel my SWR is on the high side overall, so I would have to cut back in lean years, in part for purely psychological reasons. It was definitely easier to enjoy spending this year...
Old 10-29-2017, 01:10 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Some years ago, my wife got into that phase where she had to have a diamond "upgrade". So, I accompanied her to a jeweler recommended by my mother (who still loves jewelry of all kinds) to get that big bad stone.

Again, that was some years ago (maybe 25?). She got over it, and I wonder where she kept that ring. Hope she has not lost it.

Anyway, the inexpensive and good XO that I found at Total Wine is Chabanneau XO. It's real French Cognac, and just now I saw that it is made by Camus, a more popular Cognac house. Price is $55. The one that I brought back from France was Centaure Extra Old. I paid 150 euros.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:31 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Ah, Camus XO, I adore this stuff and it's on the list next BevMo run -