Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-29-2017, 01:59 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I can tell you that my girlfriend just loves hers;

I see her looking at it all the time -
I don't love diamonds at all - - what I love is when they are a gift of love from someone who means the world to me. So when you see her mooning over that ring, remember it is very likely you, not the ring, that she is thinking of.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2017, 02:11 PM   #102
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
? If one has an older car that runs well and is in good condition, why buy a new car that will lose $3,000 to $5,000 in value, when it leaves the dealership?
Having bought two new vehicles over the last couple years .... better mileage, better safety features (rear view camera, blind spot protection, etc.).... and most of all because it gave us satisfaction and we could afford it... just a little less that will go to the kids in the whole scheme of things but we'll get a lot of satisfaction and enjoyment out of the new vehicles.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 03:26 PM   #103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
So when you see her mooning over that ring, remember it is very likely you, not the ring, that she is thinking of.
+1

De Beers certainly did a great job with their marketing campaign.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 03:49 PM   #104
Give me a forum ...

The diamond museum in Amsterdam was an enjoyable visit. Especially the geology and cutting technology.

But I don't wear any and couldn't care less. DH quickly discovered gifts of jewelry didn't matter to me.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:57 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

When I indulged my wife with the "diamond upgrade", she was happy with the purchase and it was reason enough for me.

Now, she wants to plant a lot of "stuff" in the backyard, and I have been out there tilling the soil and mixing in manure as soil amendment. Oh well, I get some needed exercise out of that activity, so it is not all bad.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 04:09 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I don't love diamonds at all - - what I love is when they are a gift of love from someone who means the world to me. So when you see her mooning over that ring, remember it is very likely you, not the ring, that she is thinking of.
Hehe, thanks!, Yeah, I know. She just flattens out her hand and looks and smiles. I asked her if she wanted the box.

She declined and said "I'm never taking it off my finger"
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 04:52 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Having bought two new vehicles over the last couple years .... better mileage, better safety features (rear view camera, blind spot protection, etc.).... and most of all because it gave us satisfaction and we could afford it... just a little less that will go to the kids in the whole scheme of things but we'll get a lot of satisfaction and enjoyment out of the new vehicles.
This reflects my view as well. Also, for me, getting a new car is fun and exciting. But, obviously, you don’t want to go overboard. In addition, getting into a totally different technology (Tesla) might appeal to some? Sometimes we forget how much cars have improved over the last 10-20 years. But if you still like “old Betsy” and dont think new cars are “better” , stay the course.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:23 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Because a new car is nice and you can't take the money with you?

Quote:
? If one has an older car that runs well and is in good condition, why buy a new car that will lose $3,000 to $5,000 in value, when it leaves the dealership?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:24 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

That's the spirit!

Quote:
Hehe, thanks!, Yeah, I know. She just flattens out her hand and looks and smiles. I asked her if she wanted the box.

She declined and said "I'm never taking it off my finger"
Old 10-29-2017, 05:34 PM   #110

Quote:
I used to be of the same mindset until we purchased our 2016 with all the safety bells and whistles available. Our other car was a 2009 that we intended to keep until it fell apart. Problem was, I always had to remember which car I was driving and that the 2009 would not beep at me as i was approaching that retaining wall . As we could easily afford it, it made sense to trade it in for a 2017 model. DH is happy as a clam as it's his new car. He hasn't had a new car in decades as he traveled a lot and always inherited the old car which spent half it's life at the car park .
TrvlBug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:33 PM   #111

two years ago I was pushed into a new vehicle because my 14 year old Tundra was going to need about 5K worth of work. Speaking strictly of $, it might have been a better investment than the new Highlander I replaced it with, but retirement was imminent, and I wanted a better road vehicle.
I was not that enthused about it, but once I did it, I enjoyed the newer technology, especially "blind spot monitoring"...
So...when DW's 11 year old Subaru started acting up, I really wanted her to have something new, reliable, and with blind spot monitoring.
If we get anything like the 11-14 years we got out of the last two vehicles, we'll never even notice we spent the money.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:36 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Because I want to.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:20 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
From time to time I have thought of getting a generator. Mostly in the early days when the power used to go out with some regularity due to all the housing construction me thinks. Power much more reliable now, so not so much.

However if I do it will be powered by natural gas so all I'll need to do is start it and run it regularly and change the oil. Not have to worry about stale gasoline and draining same.

All the NG gensets I've seen automatically run a short exercise cycle weekly so all you'll need to do is change oil and filter. We were in the market for one but reliability of local utility has improved ever since we got a portable unit. New whole house units have sophisticated transfer switches that can balance loads so you can connect the whole house to a relatively small unit if you don't need to run everything at once.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:09 PM   #114

I just spent 42k for an offroad Silverado, but it will let us get to hikes anywhere in the Sierras and West Coast. (The yewts gave us 6k for our Legacy which will fit their baby seat in the back for the grandbaby, so it was more like 36k.)
Frugal on!
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:10 AM   #115
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Go and price a new truck. It will look like they are giving away those $40K cars...
Priced....and BOUGHT.... a new F250 4 x 4 for just under $40k

Just doing our part for the economy (and still under 3% WR)
FI_RElater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:27 AM   #116

You go, Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI_RElater View Post
Priced....and BOUGHT.... a new F250 4 x 4 for just under $40k

Just doing our part for the economy (and still under 3% WR)
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:45 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
All the NG gensets I've seen automatically run a short exercise cycle weekly so all you'll need to do is change oil and filter. We were in the market for one but reliability of local utility has improved ever since we got a portable unit. New whole house units have sophisticated transfer switches that can balance loads so you can connect the whole house to a relatively small unit if you don't need to run everything at once.
We got a 15kw generator at our lake house a few years ago. Runs on propane with a big “torpedo” tank out back. Tank still about 60% full after 4-5 years. Enough capacity to run everything g at once other than electric furnace. Especially important to have electricity there because without it the water pump doesn’t work and if no water, no toilets. Every week it runs for 5 minutes. I get a guy to come in every year and change oil, etc. Glad I have it.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:38 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
This was my thought as well. Don’t spend now because you are concerned that the market will drop. Dont spend when the market drops. When do you spend?

We have changed our thinking on this recently. Portfolio average total returns about 15% CAGR for last 5 years. Up till this year just spent divs. Now decided to take some money off the table. Spending a bit like a drunken sailor. More than doubled travel expense, planning 2 major reno’s for next year, large gift to daughter, would buy a couple new cars if needed but old ones are relatively new, lots on clothes, gifts, etc. Life is really good.

Edit to add. Just put a new car in the 2019 budget. Also, forgot we ordered a new boat for next year. Yippee.

Have you seen the new Tom Brady Aston Martin? Beautiful car, only 12 made. A bit rich for my budget but fun to read about it!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:13 PM   #119

I have no problem spending as long as I feel like what I'm spending on is a good value. DH & I love to travel and have exceeded our travel budget our first year of ER. We enjoy dining out and regularly spend $100+ for dinner, $50+ for a nice lunch out. I love good food so I'm not frugal at all with groceries, although I try not to waste money and pay more for something I know is way cheaper somewhere else (we buy most cheese at Trader Joe's - good quality and 30-50% less than grocery store). We also enjoy gifting to friends, family and charities.

On the other hand, we don't spend a lot on clothes or cars, and we're cutting back on wine. The wines we used to buy were $15-$25/bottle and most of them are now $25-$40/bottle. So we look for less expensive wines that still taste good as I'm not willing to double our wine budget. We live in a 1,600 sq ft condo so can't buy much new stuff without getting rid of something else, so we don't spend much on "stuff." We have also resisted the temptation to buy a second home. Spending a bit more one year is a lot different than spending on something that will require continued additional spending every year.

We are still settling into retirement and with the market up this year, we should still have a higher portfolio after Year 1 of ER despite a little higher spending than planned. I'm sure when the market has some rough years we'll rein in a bit.

As others have said, we worked hard so we could have a similar or better lifestyle in ER than we did while working, so we aren't about to start pinching pennies now.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:37 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Some of the most frugal retirees are probably the ones who craved freedom most avidly. They traded greater gain for earlier freedom, while knowing this would mean watching their spending forever.

I know an old hippie (70) (old hippie is what he proudly calls himself) who claims to live on $10,000 a year. He inherited a small house in a low COL area. His lifelong passion is music festivals, to which he gains free admission by being the guy at the entrance who hands out wristbands. He has tons of music festival friends and not a care in the world.