Join Early Retirement Today

Retirees are too frugal!
Old 10-27-2017, 07:17 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Retirees are too frugal!

I just ran across an article that says that many retirees are too frugal, despite having the means to spend more.
"Those who have higher incomes are generally living too frugally," says Matt Fellowes, founder and CEO of United Income.

After spending a lifetime saving money, it can feel unsettling to begin pulling cash from accounts that were previously off-limits. "It's a psychological issue," says Nancy Skeans, CEO of Schneider Downs Wealth Management Advisors in Pittsburgh. It's something even her more affluent clients experience. "They are really apprehensive about spending $30,000 or $40,000 for a new car," she says, even when they can clearly afford it.

Does that ring a bell here? Heh heh heh...

What a contrast with articles saying that retirees are broke. Actually, both stories are correct. Many retirees don't do that well and have no money to spend, while the fat cats like the ones on this forum can spend but don't wanna. Heh heh heh...

We need more people like Robbie to stimulate the economy. Heh heh heh...

For more, see:
https://money.usnews.com/money/retir...y-be-a-problem

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2017, 07:46 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Yeah Baby!

Between the ring for baby, the hot tub and the cement work I spent 20 grand this month.

Blow more dough -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:53 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

The problem is that the big spenders are the ones who are broke while the LBYM folks can’t find the willpower to spend.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 08:00 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
The problem is that the big spenders are the ones who are broke while the LBYM folks can’t find the willpower to spend.
+1

Tough to be a "Goldilocks" retiree...
Old 10-27-2017, 08:04 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Can’t imagine ever dropping 40k on a car - and it’s laughable to expect to live off of my projected social security!
Yarnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 08:05 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's not that I don't have the willpower to spend. (Bought a nice 2TB Seagate external drive at Costco today for $70 plus tax. Currently backing up my files as I write.)

I do not spend "that much" because I already have what I want and need--material possession-wise. Some 90%-plus of my annual expenses are for the usual day-to-day stuff.
Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 08:24 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I would think worry about health care might be the biggest hindrance for retirees to spend money.

I need to budget 30k today's dollar for HC. Sure it is a new car every year.
HillCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 08:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
It's not that I don't have the willpower to spend. (Bought a nice 2TB Seagate external drive at Costco today for $70 plus tax. Currently backing up my files as I write.)

I do not spend "that much" because I already have what I want and need--material possession-wise. Some 90%-plus of my annual expenses are for the usual day-to-day stuff.
I have been looking at that same hard drive, let me know how you like it!!

VW
VanWinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 08:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post

VW
Great so far! It's about the size of a small smart-phone. My previous external HD, also a Seagate that I bought at Costco a few years ago, cost more $, had much less memory, was much larger in size, and required an AC plug-in that this one does not.
Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 08:53 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarnstormer View Post
Can’t imagine ever dropping 40k on a car - and it’s laughable to expect to live off of my projected social security!
I think that new Lincoln on my list will be ~80 grand. But that will be my first new car ever and I'm 62.

Blow more dough!
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:07 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Not hard for me to believe that. lol I have a very hard time spending money I do but I'm very cautious. Today I needed to replace a GFI receptacle that went bad. The cost of a new one was about 16 bucks and I hated to spend that much but I needed to get everything up and running. Lol
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I think that new Lincoln on my list will be ~80 grand. But that will be my first new car ever and I'm 62.

Blow more dough!
I just checked the Yukon Denali. Roughly the same.

Next car will probably be a Camry hybrid getting 50 MPG. Gas tax in California is going up 20 cents next Wednesday.

I did splurge and stocked up on low sodium Wheat Thins at 3/$5.00 at Safeway's Five Dollar Friday sale. Picked up some Haagen-dazs ice cream on sale while I was there as well.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post

VW
I got this one instead. Been backing up some old drives for the past couple days and it's working well.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-my-p...?skuId=5605533

Cost per TB is just a little over $25. Amazing compared to the last one I bought which I believe was a Seagate 500GB for about $100.
Jerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 12:57 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Personally, I'm trying to declutter, not add more stuff to the house, and we don't have expensive hobbies.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 04:31 AM   #15

I just forked over 30K for a new CRV for DW. Once I do the math and calculate that it's the way to go for me, I'm OK with it.
I wouldn't have bought a Ford or a Chevy, but with her new Honda, and my 2 year old Toyota, I figure we're good for a decade.
Now, back to recycling my dryer sheets.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 05:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Yep, both are true.

Quote:
Quote:
I just forked over 30K for a new CRV for DW.
Now, back to recycling my dryer sheets.
Ours comes in next week at 32.9K. I RE'd 7 months ago and this will be the first dip into the investments. Also recovering this AM after the Eagles concert last night. Was good, but not the same without Glenn.
Old 10-28-2017, 06:40 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I've considered stopping telling DW when the portfolio hits new highs since she always says "we should start spending more." I am thinking about replacing my 8 year old Lexus hybrid SUV. That would involve a $30+ cash expenditure and DD is getting married next year so that is another big pop. The concept of spending the cash doesn't bother me but liquidating equities to free up cash does. Go figure.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:00 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarnstormer View Post
Go and price a new truck. It will look like they are giving away those $40K cars...
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 07:17 AM   #19

I have no problem treating myself to the occasional luxury as long as the total spending for the year is no more than the tools like FIRECalc say I can safely spend. In fact, the older I get the less resistance I have to spending, because if not now, when?
Old 10-28-2017, 07:20 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Sure there are some who made good money but spent it all and now have to live on their $25-30K/yr SS. There are many more who never made more than $25K/yr while working hard on a full time basis for decades and are now physically unable to work and have to live on their $15K/yr SS. Those are the ones I have sympathy for, not the big spenders who had a chance to save but chose not to.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote