Retirees, does SS cover all your needs?

If it became necessary, we could live on my SS and DW's when she starts taking hers in another year, but those amounts pale in comparison to when I start taking RMDs next year.

We haven't started collecting social security benefits yet. When we do, it will cover most of our expenses.

In a pinch, we could drop our expenses so that they were fully covered. But we will have no need to do that.

We haven't started collecting social security benefits yet. When we do, it will cover most of our expenses.

In a pinch, we could drop our expenses so that they were fully covered. But we will have no need to do that.

Same here joeea!!

Both of our SS's will cover 56% needs and wants.

Both of our SS's and a pension will cover our needs.

My FRA SS, (not there yet - 1st receipt will be June of 2019), would cover 100% of basic expenses. DW FRA SS, (started Nov. 2018), covers discretionary expenses.

Investment accounts for everything else i.e., new cars, major house repairs, projected SS haircuts, LTC, etc.

Plan to take SS @ 70. It will cover 55% of expenses. The other 45% comes from my military pension. My portfolio is for fun or legacy.

Our plans for SS are to take at 70 (me) and 62 (DW), which will give us approximately $58k/yr. If we sliced and diced expenses, we probably could cover 100%. Hopefully we won't ever have to do that.

SS could cover all of our needs if we downsized our housing and downshifted our lifestyle.

SS would cover all of our needs if all of our needs could be purchased for the amount of our SS checks. :rolleyes:

Because I am debt-free [including my home] even my humble early [age 62] SS covers my regular expenses.

Most of my other income is added to my nest egg.

Our plans for SS are to take at 70 (me) and 62 (DW), which will give us approximately $58k/yr. If we sliced and diced expenses, we probably could cover 100%. Hopefully we won't ever have to do that.

I never earned that much a year while I was working. Yet, I was able to retire comfortably at age 55. Maybe I was able to do that because I spent a lifetime learning how to live comfortably on a modest income.

I am turning 62 in April '19 and will be taking SS early. Right now my SS benefit at 62 will cover between 50 to 55 percent of the annual amount I spend to keep myself alive and amused. It will reduce the draw on my portfolio to + or - 2%.

If we take SS and 63 (the earliest we factored it in during our pre-retirement planning), it will cover 30% of our planned expenses. If we wait until my FRA, it will cover 37%.
The balance will be covered by my non-cola pension, investment income, and planned spending down of savings.

Our planned expenses are in the "very comfortable" style of living range, so if we chose to scale things back to our minimum, at my FRA it could cover around 60%. But we prefer the "comfortable" life for now. :)

Yes it covers our "needs". However, we have a paid off house. Property tax would be a challenge, but we could defer that. (Texas Law). We also would not travel, and if the car gave up the ghost, or anything broke in the house, it would not cover it. However, we could most likely trim some of the "needs" if we had to. It would not be the type of retirement we would enjoy.

My social security amounts to $43,554/yr (worked full time, claimed at 70).

DW's social security is $12,750/yr (worked part time, claimed at 62).

We'd have to take a haircut on standard of living but I think we could make it work if we had to.

Started taking SS at 65 so DW could get spousal benefit. Using the SS to cover living expenses and also to pay taxes on Roth conversions for the next 5 years before RMDs start. Usually need to take about $10,000 from tIRA to cover expenses.. we live pretty frugal lives so it seems to be working out.

Very nice... would work for me. We have a few friends with manufactured retirement homes... and all are very nice.

I would pick a bone with you on the first part though... in my view pensions didn't necessarily go by the wayside... they just morphed into 401k matches and DC company contributions.

My next to last employer had a defined benefit pension and a 401k with a match. My last employer had a 401k with a match and a defined contribution plan where they contributed an amount equal to 8% of my earnings to a non-contributory 401k-like investment (I chose how it was invested).

To me the DC plan was similar except it laid the investment risk on me rather than the pension plan.

IMO the reality of the problem is that as defined benefit plans dwindled and were curtailed, 401ks and DC plans emerged... we were all told of the need to save because the pension leg of the stool was crumbling... but many chose not to save and are paying the consequences now.

+1

The evil mega-corp I work for is generous. I get a 401K match + company
funded DC pension + company funded "Retiree Reimbursement account"
contributions for retiree medical.

In 2004, my employer mega-corp wanted, like every other company, to shed
the uncertainty and risk of the company pension and the company retiree
medical insurance. It was not motivated by cost cutting or reducing current
employee costs, it was shedding of risk and placing it on the employees
instead. They replaced the company DB pension with a cash balance DC plan
and the company retiree medical benefit with an account to pay for post-retirement
medical costs. The shift was revenue neutral as far as current expenditures.

The net effects on the bottom line for employees have been mostly positive. I
don't have a defined benefit waiting for me in the pension, but I do have a
portable lump sum of money to convert to an annuity at better than market
rates or withdraw as a lump sum of equivalent value. I don't have subsidized
medical insurance, but I do have an account with money earmarked to buy
insurance - either company plan or 3rd party - once I retire.

A lot (most?) companies cheap out on the level of 401K match they provide,
but the concept of 401K being a replacement for a pension is valid. If given a
choice between a well run, low expense 401K with a good match or the typical
old DB pension that is now lauded as the retirement gold standard, I personally
would choose the 401K plan. I have had experience with the typical old style
private DB pension plan, having vested in 3 different plans early in my career.
I have since lump-summed out of all of them and good riddance.

DH is already on SS, gets $1800/month. I am waiting until age 70 (have 2.5 more years) and I will get SS of about $3000 a month. So we will have $4,800/ month of SS. We definitely could live on that amount, it is a lot more than most retirees get. Fortunately we do not have to budget that closely, but we could do it.

I know there are a lot people who live solely on SS and it is not nearly as much as my DH and I will get, some how those people get by, you have to admire them.

Retired 1989 @53
Took SS @62..................
Our limited capital has not changed in in 30 years of retirement.

Sharing 23 years of Frugal Retirement
/QUOTE]

So, you had 7 years of non-frugal retirement?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom