Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-30-2016, 11:47 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I have a 4-figure annual pension from my federal government job, mid 3-figures per month, whoopee! Break out the party hats and let's party.

Seriously, I am happy and thriving without a nest egg of millions. Honestly I don't know what I'd do with millions. I mean, really? Millions? Get real! That wasn't me when I was working, and it's not me now. I love my life and have no delusions of grandeur.

Now, time? Ah, that's a different kettle of fish. At this stage in life I'd value a few years more time so much more than having millions.

I guess this is a good place to post the cartoon that we all have seen.

While I am not a millionaire, I have a great pension which takes care of me and I use my stash to invest and it actually provides some intellectual entertainment. I could have continued working to make more money, but quite frankly even though I do not have a million dollars, someone giving me a million wouldnt change my lifestyle....except for a real fancy sports utility vehicle. For me to change my lifestyle I need mega millions. I cant just scrape a few mill together to get that condo in Aspen. I need a bunch more to pay for fees, taxes, and upkeep. Better not to ever have it than, have it taking away from you in bankruptcy court. No matter how long or how hard I worked I could never be that rich so I accept my present fate and relish the freedom it gives me because many people have it a lot worse I know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2016, 12:13 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

I do have millions and I like it, it actually simplifies my life and makes it easier and more fun. No, not gonna buy that condo in Aspen either but I'll tell you what I do buy.

The most expensive stuff I can find. Well, not really the most expensive with regards to caviar and stuff of that nature, but here's a good example. I bought an Echo weed whacker at home depot. I used to buy the "value" stuff and it would work for a couple years and then croak. Not to mention it was not well balanced, hard to start and vibrated. That Echo cost 3 times the cheapies. Starts easy, runs smooth and my arms don't ache after from the vibes and the imbalance. Sweet!

So, when I go to the hardware stores now, I don't agonize over the choices, I just get the best stuff there.

I've also discovered the joys of real Balsamic vinegar, the traditional stuff from Italy. Costs a hundred and fifty bucks for 3 and a half ounces. And of course the superautomatic coffee machine that makes you swear there's a little barista cranking away inside.

Yup, if you don't buy the new house and the Maserati you can really go crazy on the small stuff -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 01:11 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

My income has multiplied ten fold since starting ER 22 plus years ago. Happiness difference was marrying at 70 after girlfriend of 29 years passed away suddenly right after Katrina.

Some days it's getting increasingly difficult to play the Curmudgeon.

heh heh heh - above a certain threshold level for me income doesn't count as much - counts of course but not as much.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 01:14 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Robbie, I dont think you took it this way, but I wanted to make sure I didnt sound like one of those types that I am frugal because of its "inherent values". I am always happy for anyone's wealth they have accumulated. I just got too damn lazy to work more to earn it, and I will be the first to admit it!
I am right around 6 figures annual income in retirement before taxes and live in a low cost rural area, so I am not hurting. But getting lazy and not wanting to work caused me to leave a lot of meat on the bone. But still never enough to get that Aspen condo...Sigh....

Old 05-30-2016, 01:28 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Hey Mulligan, don't worry I was not upset or trying to be argumentative. Being frugal was how I accumulated a nice stash. And yes, I actually considered a new house and a Maserati, but not for long -

I do enjoy just buying stuff now w/o thinking about it like I used to. Just go and get some good stuff w/o worrying and have fun!
Old 05-30-2016, 01:57 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I do have millions and I like it, it actually simplifies my life and makes it easier and more fun. No, not gonna buy that condo in Aspen either but I'll tell you what I do buy.

The most expensive stuff I can find. Well, not really the most expensive with regards to caviar and stuff of that nature, but here's a good example. I bought an Echo weed whacker at home depot. I used to buy the "value" stuff and it would work for a couple years and then croak. Not to mention it was not well balanced, hard to start and vibrated. That Echo cost 3 times the cheapies. Starts easy, runs smooth and my arms don't ache after from the vibes and the imbalance. Sweet!

So, when I go to the hardware stores now, I don't agonize over the choices, I just get the best stuff there.

I've also discovered the joys of real Balsamic vinegar, the traditional stuff from Italy. Costs a hundred and fifty bucks for 3 and a half ounces. And of course the superautomatic coffee machine that makes you swear there's a little barista cranking away inside.

Yup, if you don't buy the new house and the Maserati you can really go crazy on the small stuff -
Now you make me jealous. I need to get real Balsamic vinegar. I thought the 2.50 GBP I got recently was pretty decent. I use it to season every thing. That and diced prosciutto.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:27 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I still think you are frugal! I don't even have a weed whacker any more. Instead I just pay somebody to do it. Time to pat yourself on the back.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Retirees Thrive Regardless of Nest Egg
Old 05-30-2016, 02:49 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Retirees Thrive Regardless of Nest Egg

Quote:
I still think you are frugal! I don't even have a weed whacker any more. Instead I just pay somebody to do it. Time to pat yourself on the back.

Ya, Robbie. I agree with W2R.....I get enough reading about people with millions living off of rice and beans and splurging on weed eaters.
I want to read about the nice second home on the Virgin Islands or something like that you are buying....If I want to hear or witness someone with money being frugal, I can go hang out with my dad and see that any time!

Old 05-30-2016, 03:41 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Well I did blow a grand on 2 nights in Monterey with a bay front view so close you can spit into the water and another grand on food, booze and in room massages -

Three grand in 3 days is really fun!
Old 05-30-2016, 04:57 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well I did blow a grand on 2 nights in Monterey with a bay front view so close you can spit into the water and another grand on food, booze and in room massages -

That's fabulous! Sounds like you had a great time.

Old 05-30-2016, 05:20 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah, if I had a few million I'd be paying Jose or Maximino $35 every two weeks and toss the fancy weed whackers in the trash (not being racist; these are the two people I would actually call to mow my grass in a non-hypothetical sense).

I might even give up my $150 balsamic vinegar habit and redirect the savings toward outsourcing the lawn care, especially during July and August.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:26 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Hehe, I don't have a lawn just weeds. I'm thinking on what to do out there, maybe some kind of rock garden. The gophers dig it all up every year.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:40 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Now we are talking....Lets keep it up!

Old 05-30-2016, 05:44 PM   #54

My front lawn is about an acre. The lawn tractor just went on the Fritz (it starts sputtering and then it dies when the blades are engaged - If somebody knows what causes this please let me know) so I just finished mowing with my push mower. I'm exhausted but the exercise actually feels good!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-05-30_16-42-47.jpg (59.7 KB, 42 views)
ejman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 06:20 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
My front lawn is about an acre. The lawn tractor just went on the Fritz (it starts sputtering and then it dies when the blades are engaged - If somebody knows what causes this please let me know) so I just finished mowing with my push mower. I'm exhausted but the exercise actually feels good!
You need some hungry goats to cut back a lawn that big! just kidding. That's a lot of work and as long as you enjoy it and benefit from it, why not?

Hiring a lawn guy is one of those additional expenses that many eventually find necessary as they grow older. But luckily, if prior discussion threads are correct, we will all be spending less in the "slow go" and "no go" years so it all works out.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:11 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hehe, I don't have a lawn just weeds. I'm thinking on what to do out there, maybe some kind of rock garden. The gophers dig it all up every year.
Lawn guys can fix that problem too. Not that I would spend a lot of money making my wildflowers and clover turn into boring regular green grass.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:13 PM   #57

No condo in Aspen, but I do have a timeshare in Vail! My week will be coming up in about a month.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:21 PM   #58
gone traveling

Mankind is known to thrive despite lots of adversity. Having a small nest egg, in the relative history of mankind for the last millennia or two, shouldn't make much of a difference !

Retirement is a new concept only existing for the last 50-75 years. In the past, people worked pretty much up until they died.
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:44 AM   #59

Quote:

Wow! That is the kind of post you don't see here very often. Most of the bragging relates to what people don't spend. I'm with you. I like being able to splurge. Leaving for Italy tonight and our first hotel is about 1,700 Euros a night. Often spend more. One of our weaknesses is expensive hotels.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:30 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post

My guess is a problem with the seat cutoff safety switch. We had that problem you described.

jabbahop is offline   Reply With Quote