Retirees Thrive Regardless of Nest Egg

I enjoy DIY home improvement stuff although I have hired more jobs (especially tree trimming) as I age. I am painting the house myself and it's kinda fun as well as good exercise (I know because I ache after)

Yesterday I spent an hour replacing a pressure reducing valve in my 2' high crawlspace. Saved $200 vs the plumber's labor quote and got the job done just as well. Not exactly fun but rewarding to do a novel (to me) job well. And good exercise I think (though I'm still not feeling it today since I'm 35).

Some people pay money to crawl through caves. I get paid to crawl through a similar environment underneath my house. And saved enough to pay for two days of cave exploration for the whole family this summer in Kentucky (with no crawling through muck I hope...)!

Even if I was very, very well off, I probably couldn't justify $1700 for one night in a hotel...the value for the dollar just isn't there.

I feel the same way. I'm not wired to appreciate the difference between a $300/nt and a $3000/nt hotel room. Also don't travel just to spend time inside a hotel or the hotel room. I'd probably find a way to spend the money elsewhere before spending that much on a hotel room.

Just another case of à chacun son goût I guess......DW & I commented to each other about the €1,700....not something we'd choose to do, regardless of the amount of money available to us.......it's just not who we are, but if someone else enjoys it, and can afford it, "Good luck, and keep pumping money into the world economy".

I had to google that French phrase but yes, to each their own. I'm glad I can get just as much fulfillment enjoying the scenery from the balcony of a cheap hotel room as I can from a nice one (assuming the view is similar).

Even if I was very, very well off, I probably couldn't justify $1700 for one night in a hotel...the value for the dollar just isn't there.

All boils down to perspective, (and bank balances, for the most part, but not always); 'value' is open to interpretation.

As an example, here and on other sites, we see posts by those who, (in our humble opinions), seem 'fixated', (although that may be way too strong a word), on restaurants.

DW & I regard restaurants, on the exceedingly rare occasions we frequent one, as places to refuel, rather than 'sublime experiences', and what some/most may regard as 'value' we see as unnecessary expenditure of money that we'd prefer to allocate elsewhere.

All part of the mosaic.

I'm glad I can get just as much fulfillment enjoying the scenery from the balcony of a cheap hotel room as I can from a nice one (assuming the view is similar).

You're preaching to our choir. ;)

Added: The word 'pamper' was used upthread, and it's a word we've heard relatively frequently shipboard; we're not ascetics, but the idea of being 'pampered' at a spa or restaurant is somewhat offputting.....neither of us appreciates being hovered over by servile flunkies. :LOL:

Last edited:

Right, but the point of my post was not to convince you that it is something you should spend on (even if you had the means). My point was simply that each person makes their own spending decisions based on their personal utility function which is constrained and shaped by their means. Secondly that spending outrageous amounts (as this hotel certainly is) is not morally inferior to staying at a much less expensive hotel.

To put in perspective Danmar spending $1700 for a hotel room would be equal to me spending $350 for a hotel room and yes I have done it to get the location I want .

each person makes their own spending decisions based on their personal utility function which is constrained and shaped by their means.

+1
It probably seems silly to many, but I consider it an enormous benefit that I'm able to buy business/first class seats on long flights. It means a lot to me, so I do it routinely. I know people who are barely willing to allow themselves to get economy plus seats, despite being much better off financially than I am. And they only do it occasionally, on the very longest flights.

My girlfriend found this place in Carmel. It's about $550 / night;

936x660x29.jpg.pagespeed.ic.0r4XYYYPaL.jpg

That's next - :)

My girlfriend found this place in Carmel. It's about $550 / night;

936x660x29.jpg.pagespeed.ic.0r4XYYYPaL.jpg

That's next - :)

Looks quite nice, although I try to avoid rooms with a hot tub in the bedroom. I'm a little old for that, besides it often makes the bedroom a little warm or humid. I guess I'm just too old.

If it gets too "steamy" I'll just open up that huge glass door and let in the sea breezes - :)

Hot tub looks kind of small. For $550 I'd expect a full size hot tub. If it ain't got room for at least 3 or 4 then what's the point?

You wildman, you swinger you

I wanna party with you sometime - :)

It kind of depends on who you are travelling with, I suppose. ;)

Guys, guys I was talking about the kids. My kids would really enjoy playing in the hot tub.

:D

That's what the "community" hot tubs are for and I'm sure there are plenty of those there also.

Nah, these "in room tubs" are for doing it right, stark naked - :)

That's what the "community" hot tubs are for and I'm sure there are plenty of those there also.

Nah, these "in room tubs" are for doing it right, stark naked - :)

In that case, I revert back to my initial suggestion regarding inadequacy of hot tub size.

In that case, I revert back to my initial suggestion regarding inadequacy of hot tub size.

Hope you're thinking of athleticism rather than merging this with the 'obese' thread? :LOL:

Hope you're thinking of athleticism rather than merging this with the 'obese' thread? :LOL:
Just thinking relaxation. No way I want to be crowded in a cramped hot tub. Especially if I'm paying $550 US American dollars.

Just thinking relaxation. No way I want to be crowded in a cramped hot tub. Especially if I'm paying $550 US American dollars.

Carry on.

Too old for a warm, relaxing bath? How can this be?? To me, it certainly beats getting hair all wet trying to take a shower [-]together[/-]. :LOL::angel:

Looks quite nice, although I try to avoid rooms with a hot tub in the bedroom. I'm a little old for that,. I guess I'm just too old.

It's a "lover's retreat". I guess you missed the champagne on ice too.

That ain't for the kids either.

Yeah, Amethyst has this figured out correctly - :)

Back
Top Bottom