Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-10-2017, 02:26 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This thread made me curious. I am not retired yet, but have modeled the retirement using many calculators. I never looked at the percentage, just results.
The FIDO RPM tool will show you the forecast percentage and it really comes down to market results.

In an average market, I need to take out 1% to 2%.
A below average market it becomes 2% up to just under 3%
In a significantly below average market it jumps to 3% up to 4% in some years.
These are with a 55/45 AA
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2017, 02:40 PM   #42

Someone I work with just shared a paper they authored about basing your withdrawal rate on the 10 year government bond yield. I can't share that paper, but found something online with the same philosophy: The Ideal Withdrawal Rate For Retirement Does Not Touch Principal | Financial Samurai

I'll have to really read this when I have more brain capacity. W*rk has kicked my tail end this month, and it's only day 10.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 02:44 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I had no interest in continuing to work until I didn't need to touch principal.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 02:46 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
Someone I work with just shared a paper they authored about basing your withdrawal rate on the 10 year government bond yield. I can't share that paper, but found something online with the same philosophy: The Ideal Withdrawal Rate For Retirement Does Not Touch Principal | Financial Samurai

I'll have to really read this when I have more brain capacity. W*rk has kicked my tail end this month, and it's only day 10.
The assumption with that approach as stated in your link is that you will die with lots of money because you won't touch the principle. If that is your goal, then that is a good rule to follow, but man, you are leaving lots of "fun" sitting in your investments.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:08 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Anything above inflation is gain, and spendable to me.

That said, one cannot spend all the gains each year, and has to save some for possible future long periods of drought. Hence, the 3-4% rule of thumb.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:35 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
The assumption with that approach as stated in your link is that you will die with lots of money because you won't touch the principle.
Don't anyone dare touch my principles. I play a little looser with my principal though

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:38 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others" -- Groucho Marx
Old 02-10-2017, 04:29 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I think that concept is also called "never eat your seed corn" or "never spend principal" and used to be a more common way of investing. A portfolio could still lose to inflation, though unless a retiree only took out the real, not nominal, return.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:34 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The assumption with that approach as stated in your link is that you will die with lots of money because you won't touch the principle. If that is your goal, then that is a good rule to follow, but man, you are leaving lots of "fun" sitting in your investments.
Maybe, but that depends on your portfolio size, values, hobbies, etc. After a certain point does spending more money always equal more fun? Research varies, but at least some, if not most, positive psychology research, points to diminishing returns after a certain point of spending. Some people are minimalists or are into simple living.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 02-10-2017, 04:53 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Maybe, but that depends on your portfolio size, values, hobbies, etc. After a certain point does spending more money always equal more fun? Research varies, but at least some, if not most, positive psychology research, points to diminishing returns after a certain point of spending. Some people are minimalists or are into simple living.
+1

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I feel a sense of accomplishment when I look at something I worked hard to build. It's the same whether it's a home improvement project or a portfolio. I don't derive that same satisfaction from empty spending.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:57 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Don't anyone dare touch my principles. I play a little looser with my principal though
Oops.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:58 PM   #52

Quote:
I was thinking travel and experiences, not just more "stuff".
Old 02-10-2017, 05:20 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I was thinking travel and experiences, not just more "stuff".
Not all personality types are into traveling the world for months at a time. And even some who do manage to spend very little between VRBO, travel hacks, credit card points, etc.

Related link:

Money Buys Happiness When Spending Fits our Personality

The late Thomas Stanley, co-author of The Millionaire Next Door, found that many millionaires are cheap dates:

"When people ask me about the activities of millionaires, I have a short answer. As I wrote in The Millionaire Mind, the typical millionaire is, in three words, a cheap date! Yes, a cheap date even among a fraction of the top 1% of the wealth holders in America. Many of the favorite activities of millionaires are not at all costly. It matters not if you are rich or poor, the best things in life are free or close to it."
Old 02-10-2017, 05:55 PM   #54

Quote:
Not all personality types are into traveling the world for months at a time. And even some who do manage to spend very little between VRBO, travel hacks, credit card points, etc.

Related link:

Money Buys Happiness When Spending Fits our Personality

The late Thomas Stanley, co-author of The Millionaire Next Door, found that many millionaires are cheap dates:

"When people ask me about the activities of millionaires, I have a short answer. As I wrote in The Millionaire Mind, the typical millionaire is, in three words, “a cheap date!” Yes, a cheap date even among a fraction of the top 1% of the wealth holders in America. Many of the favorite activities of millionaires are not at all costly. It matters not if you are rich or poor, the best things in life are free or close to it."
I am penny wise too. I wouldn't be able to FIRE if I wasn't, but unlike some on here, I plan to see the world.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:08 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

OP here

Thanks for all the responses. What works for everyone seems to vary but 3% seems to be the average.

In my retirement expense calculation I am sure my numbers are high since they are based on expenses during the past two years when we worked. I used Quicken for past 2 years and know the exact amount we spent. This was with our company paying health premiums so I took the current amount 1757.00 monthly and added that amount to the retirement expense. There is no doubt in some areas our expenses with be lower when we retire like dining out in restaurants. We also spent 7,000 on travel which is an expense that can be reduced if needed. Health insurance will be higher.

I could actually take our health insurance premiums out of our cash buffer account each year. This would allow us to withdraw 3% which seems to be a safer rate. This seems like cheating but my buffer money is not added into the retirement portfolio since it is all in cash.

Thanks everyone. Your insight and advice is invaluable for someone near retirement who wants to get it right.
littleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:19 PM   #56

Quote:

A quick scan of the article you linked suggests a 3% WR will keep principal in perpetuity... Since my ER is only 2.8%... I guess I should feel free to raise it by 0.2%.

Hmmm.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:51 PM   #57

In my 3rd year of retirement, we have not exceeded 1.75% withdrawal yet. Have made some Roth conversions, but no matter what we do, Firecalc says it is going to be ugly. So we spend what we can, convert what we can, withdraw what we can, donate what we can and live life to the max. And we thank God everyday for our blessings
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:55 PM   #58
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
In my 3rd year of retirement, we have not exceeded 1.75% withdrawal yet. Have made some Roth conversions, but no matter what we do, Firecalc says it is going to be ugly. So we spend what we can, convert what we can, withdraw what we can, donate what we can and live life to the max. And we thank God everyday for our blessings
Can you define what you mean when you say "firecalc says it is going to get ugly"?
FREE866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:15 PM   #59

I stand corrected, it is RPM, Boglehead's Retiree Portfolio Model. With 2 pensions, and rental income, I can control income below 15% until 70 and then with SS, and RMDs, it goes to 28%. I'm blessed it is ugly.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:24 PM   #60

Well I've said this before, the easy fix for RMDs is QCDs if you want to avoid tax. Of course this means you're giving to charities instead of leaving a large legacy.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote