Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-14-2017, 10:05 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbata View Post
Enjoying this thread.

One thing I'm curious about--The folks talking about their percentage withdrawal rate, are your figures back of the envelope kind of estimating or do you still track your expenses?

I don't, so I'm envious of those who have the discipline to do this.
We track all expenses as we always have, so I always know how much of my withdrawal I spent. It's quite easy to do for me as all transactions are downloaded into Quicken - from the banks, credit cards, etc. I can see how much I have spent year to date at any time.

NOTE: I don't just spend and then calculate my withdrawal. I actually withdraw the funds each year, and then spend them, and it's usually less than I withdrew.

Some folks here do spend the funds - taking whatever they need - and then calculate their annual withdrawal rate after the fact.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2017, 12:25 AM   #102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Enjoying this thread.

One thing I'm curious about--The folks talking about their percentage withdrawal rate, are your figures back of the envelope kind of estimating or do you still track your expenses?

I track all our spending. Divs and any stock liquidations are recorded as "income" in my spreadsheet. Over(under) spend is simply a (decease) or increase in our cash balances which is (opening cash) +-(under) over spend. Percentage withdrawal of the opening portfolio is a calculation I do throughout the year based on actual sales to date and projected for balance of year.

I know, a little anal, but I'm an accountant.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:56 AM   #103
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Enjoying this thread.

Track religiously .
Dd852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:05 AM   #104
Give me a forum ...

I track my spending, but mainly as an after-the-fact item. My SWR has been well under 3% even in years where it has spiked. It has averaged just over 2% and has often been just under 2%.

At the start of the year I plan out a list of cash inflows (monthly and quarterly dividends) and cash outflows (expenses) for the purpose of figuring out where my surpluses of dividends over expenses (beyond the $750 cushion I carry forward from month to month) lie. When they occur, which is in some months, I reinvest them into one of my mutual funds. I often dip into those monthly cushions to pay for small, unforeseen expenses which is fine All it means is that I may go more months without being able to reinvest excess dividends beyond the normal cushion.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:05 AM   #105
Give me a forum ...

I track all of my spending except cash in Excel- I download credit card activity and manually record checking account activity and classify each item. I'm a numbers person. That's what I do. It also helps me monitor trends (yes, utilities and other carrying costs DID decrease substantially when DH and I downsized) and helps me answer the question of where I'd cut back if needed. The actual amount going out the door is surprisingly high but a lot of it is charitable donations and discretionary spending (including Business Class international flights!). I go through maybe $1,000 a year in cash so not worth monitoring.

I withdraw a fixed amount per months (4 months at a time) plus additional for an extraordinary items, always keeping under 4% for the year. The most recent withdrawal, sadly, included additional for an anticipated large tax bill.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:19 AM   #106

I have always tracked everything, updating spreadsheets weekly and creating yearly summary spreadsheets with categories of spending and everything. I noticed for the first time this year that my enthusiasm for this is waning. My husband reached RMD this year and I will in a couple of years so my waning enthusiasm may be because, baring a government/dollar collapse or the loss of SS and pensions, I am feeling more and more "home free".
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:44 AM   #107
Give me a forum ...

I am in my 8th year of retirement, and I still keep track of my spending and income to the penny in a spreadsheet. At the end of each month I add up the month's spending and divide it into categories.

This is despite the fact that I withdraw my year's spending money in January, so I can easily see how I'm doing overall. But I want to know the details.

I work on my spending spreadsheet almost every day, but now that I have been retired so long sometimes I will let it go for two or three days between updates.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:55 AM   #108
Give me a forum ...

I am among those who spend, then check after the fact.

That's because I know what my fixed costs are, and they add up to much less than the 3.5%. With a big margin reserved for discretionary spending, I am able to be cavalier about budgeting.

And yes, I have had some years where one big "unexpected" expense happened after another. In a way, that's not really true. I knew, but permitted myself to spend money on these home improvement things that could really wait. I told myself that it was better to spend it now to enjoy the results, then future years' spending would be less. Will see if that is true.

In 2016, my expenses were 75% of what they were in 2015. Will see if that continues. And if it doesn't, no biggies. I may not live past 80 or even 70 to worry that much about money, nor have time to enjoy counting it if I stay a miser and do not spend it.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:56 AM   #109
Give me a forum ...

I track spending. It isn't hard and I have been doing it for 30 years or so. Before I started, I would wonder, "where did all that money go?, and I didn't enjoy that feeling.

I have even taught my girlfriend (who does not live with me) to track her expenses also. Prior to this she might ask me some financial question, and I always had to answer that I couldn't even guess with some more information.

Ha
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:14 PM   #110

Quote:
Enjoying this thread.

Most of our spending is out of our checking account and we transfer the same amount of money to it each month (our "paycheck"). That covers over 50% of our spending and I don't have to do anythings specific to keep track of it. We do use mint, so we can look into things if we want to, most of the time mint just runs on autopilot.

The other stuff comes in big lumps. Stuff like property taxes, insurance, maybe an appliance or some such.

Finally there is health and travel. I do track those closely. The health pending so we can (some day) take money out of our HSA. Must keep the IRS happy - it's the law. And travel isn't really to hard to track. A lot of it is big stuff like airfare, cruise fare, hotels, meals, and so on. I don't mind tracking that.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 02:25 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Just because... I tracked one year post retirement (think it was 2011). Looking at the results, I was a bit surprised at some of the category totals, but the overall total was within a couple percent of what I had guessed mentally. Our fixed expenses don't change much, our travel doesn't change much, we don't buy toys, etc. so our expenses rarely vary. We have settled into a lifestyle that seems to work for us without a budget and without tracking. So I have not felt the need to track again. I don't even do more than a back-of-the envelope Net Worth anymore. I know. Sounds sacrilegious!

Haven't calculated a "hard" % for several years. It's varied around 3% whenever I've done a back-of-the envelope calculation. My thinking on the 4% rule (or whatever it has now morphed into) is that it is primarily for planning retirement - no so much living it. IOW figure what you need and multiply by 25 (if using 4%). Having a relatively low stock allocation in the port helps as the net worth rarely drops significantly.

I realize this isn't for everyone (maybe no one else.) But since we LBYM it's not that big a stretch to sort of monitor the big picture and just "live" ER.

Obviously YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 02:38 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Heh, heh, full disclosure (and a bathroom break - TMI TMI.) It DOES help to have more than you planned on at the time of retirement. My original plan was age 51 (and I WAS FI at that point). Didn't actually FIRE until 58 (long story) so the port had swelled rather dramatically by then. Just didn't want anyone to think it's too easy. Having more than you planned allows for a more relaxed living of FIRE and allows one to keep a lower stock allocation in the port. Yeah, I know, I'm leaving money on the table (theoretically) by not allocating more to stock. But, the living (and the sleeping) is easy this way. Again, YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:12 PM   #113

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I am among those who spend, then check after the fact.
Me too. I look at actuals every year or maybe twice a year, comparing against history. Then I say "gee-whiz" and move on, since there's usually no news that I don't know already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I track spending. It isn't hard and I have been doing it for 30 years or so. Before I started, I would wonder, "where did all that money go?, and I didn't enjoy that feeling.
That feeling is why for me too. It was back when I first got out of college. I've entered transactions (or downloaded them) ever since. I started the year the IBM XT came out, so that would be 1983.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:03 PM   #114
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleb View Post
How many out there are using the 3 - 4% withdrawal rate during retirement? Have you continued with this formula for years during retirement or have you changed the percent and still been successful?

Currently we are planning our retirement this year. DH could take early SS (age 62) later this year but we planned to wait until his FTA to begin receiving ss benefits.

However, due to the unstable ACA and health insurance industry the plan to start his ss in 4 years becomes more murky. This year our ACA premium would eat up 25% of our annual retirement money. Next year, who knows but we are trying to prepare for the worst case scenario. Our ACA premium increased 50% from last years premium.

Running our numbers through FireCalc we have 100% success rate for 33 years at a 5% withdrawl (expenses) at investment ratio of 65% equities. This formula also based on FRA on DH. Fidelity Income Planner also calculates a high success rate based on this plan.

We are considering a 5% withdrawl for 4 years and then dropping it down to 3-4% in 4 years when FRA ss benefits kick in.

I did not include my ss benefit in the equation because I want to make sure our retirement money will last with only one income.

Any recommendation or advice would be welcome.

If it were me, and it is, I would "fly on manual" for a couple of years with detailed records of AT LEAST 12 months prior and see what the withdraw rate actually is. It's not a short term concern so live life, see how you pan our and adapt. We should not always pound the keys on the calculator.
jj1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:50 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I am among those who spend, then check after the fact...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Me too. I look at actuals every year or maybe twice a year, comparing against history. Then I say "gee-whiz" and move on, since there's usually no news that I don't know already...
I checked mine more often though. With Quicken, it is easy. I do worry about lifestyle creep because we spend as needed, although we are frugal. Most of my big expenses are non-recurrent types (or so I hope).

Though I have no rigid budget, let alone for things like food, it is interesting to see our grocery bills going down and down. Either we shop better or we eat less or both. I should project the number to see if we need to eat at all when we get to 70.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:33 PM   #116

I'm not tracking my spending but just recording the actual amount at the end of each year so I can have them in my records. I don't want to be too obsessive about it so I did build in a huge buffer before I retired as in not put everything in FIRECALC. As a former spendthrift and never LBYM person, I would hate to worry about running out of money, so there is a huge cash buffer in my checking account earning zero percent. I know what you are thinking but I sleep well at night and that's all it counts.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:53 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I'm not tracking my spending but just recording the actual amount at the end of each year so I can have them in my records. I don't want to be too obsessive about it so I did build in a huge buffer before I retired as in not put everything in FIRECALC. As a former spendthrift and never LBYM person, I would hate to worry about running out of money, so there is a huge cash buffer in my checking account earning zero percent. I know what you are thinking but I sleep well at night and that's all it counts.
I check the stock markets and my accounts less now that I'm retired and my income is covered by a pension and rent with a around $5k left over. When that and dividends are reinvested I expect to contribute about 3% to my accounts....so a negative withdrawal rate. US and UK SS checks will start in 11 years and with those I expect to be reinvesting around 6%.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:18 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
I check the stock markets and my accounts less now that I'm retired and my income is covered by a pension and rent with a around $5k left over. When that and dividends are reinvested I expect to contribute about 3% to my accounts....so a negative withdrawal rate. US and UK SS checks will start in 11 years and with those I expect to be reinvesting around 6%.
I suspect we are in this category. Negative withdrawal rate. I have been raising rent since I planned for retirement, and a few things have been going up with inflation. The U.K. SS pension is in this category. I often told my husband, the longer we live, the higher our account balance will be. Our after tax account will eventually be much higher than the taxable account. More reasons for both of us to stay healthy. The only uncertainty is the cost of nursing home when we get much older.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:43 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I suspect we are in this category. Negative withdrawal rate. I have been raising rent since I planned for retirement, and a few things have been going up with inflation. The U.K. SS pension is in this category. I often told my husband, the longer we live, the higher our account balance will be. Our after tax account will eventually be much higher than the taxable account. More reasons for both of us to stay healthy. The only uncertainty is the cost of nursing home when we get much older.
Some decisions I made a long time ago have work out well. One was continuing to pay voluntary UK National Insurance for the past 30 years that I've lived in the US, another was buying a two family home 20 years ago and supplementing my income with rent, and the final one was taking a slight salary decrease to work for the state because of the retirement pension and health benefits. Those all reduced my disposable income slightly, but they have compounded to make my retirement quite secure.

At age 67 I expect the following COLA'ed income

UK SS .......$15k
US SS........$20k (after WEP due to state pension)
State pension...........$25k
Rent ........$25k

expected budget..........$45k

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:26 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
Some decisions I made a long time ago have work out well. One was continuing to pay voluntary UK National Insurance for the past 30 years that I've lived in the US, another was buying a two family home 20 years ago and supplementing my income with rent, and the final one was taking a slight salary decrease to work for the state because of the retirement pension and health benefits. Those all reduced my disposable income slightly, but they have compounded to make my retirement quite secure.

At age 67 I expect the following COLA'ed income

UK SS .......$15k
US SS........$20k (after WEP due to state pension)
State pension...........$25k
Rent ........$25k

expected budget..........$45k
Snap! We did the same thing but some decisions are more conscious than others. The last job my husband took, he almost didn't, gave him healthcare for life. Otherwise we would be living in UK right now.
I also made more contribution to his UK SS when we were both unemployed.