Retirement budgeting for property taxes

Based on some of the comments I have read, some apparently believe property taxes are just some random amount your local government charges you. Maybe it is that way in some places, but not where I live. The bottom line is that my property taxes are my pro-rata share of paying for the town's schools and other government services. The cost of those services rises overall every year, near the rate of inflation. That's just the reality of life everywhere - things cost a little more every year.

In my town, your taxes are the product of the assessed value (in CT, this is 70% of the likely market value) of your house times the mill rate. By state law, there is a reassessment of all the property in town every 5 years. And the sum total of the assessed value of all the property in town is known as the Grand List. The mill rate is how many $1 tax per $1000 assessed value (in the financial world, we call them basis points).

Every year, the Mayor, Board of Finance and Board of Alderman approve a town budget. At the end of that process, they take the total amount of the budget and divide it by the amount of the Grand List to get the mill rate. So, for example, if the town budgets to spend $100 million this year and the value of the Grand List is $2.5 billion, then the mill rate will be 100/2500 = 4/100 = 40/1000 = 40 mills. If my house is assessed at $400,000, then my property tax will be (400000/1000)x40 = $16,000. So, my share of the Grand List is 0.016% (400k/2.5 billion) and I am paying 0.016% of the cost of running the town.

Absent any reassessment, and given normal inflation, next year's town budget will probably be $103 million. So the mill rate goes up to 41.2 and my taxes increase to $16,480. Still the same pro-rata share of the cost of the town. Unless I make an addition/change to my property, my assessed value remains the same for 5 years and the mill rate gradually rises with inflation, until a reassessment year.

In a re-assessment year, they look at all the property in town. Going back to year one above, if every property in town doubled in value in the past 5 years, so that the Grand List is now $5 billion, and the budget is $100 million, then the mill rate is now 20 = 2% = ($100 million/$5000 million). My house is now assessed at $800,000 and my taxes are .... still $16,000 (800 x 20). And assuming normal inflation of 3%, they will be $16,480 next year.

However, all property does not appreciate at the same rate. Houses in more desirable areas along the water, like mine, generally increase in value more than the average across the town. So, in the above example, while the Grand List may have gone up by 100% on average, the value of my house may have gone up 110%. So my assessment may now be $880,000 and my taxes would be $17,600 (880 x 20). Assuming inflation of 3%,they'll be $18,128 next year.

In my view, assuming that your property taxes never should change ignores reality. At the very least, the cost of running your town will likely increase every year. If it doesn't, that probably means they're cutting services. And if you have been wise in your choice of property, it will probably increase in value more than some other parts of your town. You should be happy about that, because now you have a more valuable asset.

Don't forget the large exemptions on property taxes!

Yep. That's why I mentioned age 65. The final exemption is for those reaching age 65. I don't recall the amount but it is significant. I think I've mentioned before that our RE taxes are less than $2K/year and places in our complex are selling over $600K. A real good deal though YMMV.

I don't think this tread was a discussion about assessments, home valuation or mill rate, The thread started because someone had a discussion on how much you should add to your budget each year as an increase to cover your taxes.

Yep. That's why I mentioned age 65. The final exemption is for those reaching age 65. I don't recall the amount but it is significant. I think I've mentioned before that our RE taxes are less than $2K/year and places in our complex are selling over $600K. A real good deal though YMMV.

here it's not just age...the homeowner must be 65+ AND have an annual household income (everything including SS counts) under $30k to have their property tax cut in half...also must re-qualify each year.

If you have lived in your house for more than a couple years, you already know the answer.

here it's not just age...the homeowner must be 65+ AND have an annual household income (everything including SS counts) under $30k to have their property tax cut in half...also must re-qualify each year.

Interesting. Ours is strictly by age, but you DO have to ask for it IIRC (once.) I've mentioned before that Hawaii is culturally inclined to favor its kupuna (ancients, or elders.)

Here in beautiful New Jersey I currently pay a mere $12,000 annually for my less-than-1/4 acre house and land. The last few years we've been fortunate with modest yearly increases. In general, though, annual increases are par for the course.
I factored this in, just as I did with general inflation, in my financial retirement planning. Regardless of one's locale, inflation is a fact of life.

Not there

Here in beautiful New Jersey I currently pay a mere $12,000 annually for my less-than-1/4 acre house and land. The last few years we've been fortunate with modest yearly increases. In general, though, annual increases are par for the course.
I factored this in, just as I did with general inflation, in my financial retirement planning. Regardless of one's locale, inflation is a fact of life.

Here in (not New Jersey) I pay an outrageous $2,000 annually for our 5,000 sqft house on six acres. In the eleven years we have lived here since moving from (a state near New Jersey) we have been fortunate to never have had an increase; in fact, the taxes dropped a few $ during our last five year assessment cycle. In general, annual increases have been non-existent, but I figure they will go up a few $ sometime in the future. Inflation may be a fact of life, but it hasn't been reflected in our property tax bill where we are, which we are very grateful for.

We do have a cap on property tax increase to no more than 3% per year for a primary home in Vevada. No surprises.

About 3 yrs ago I called our assessor trying to understand the process better and was told we were maxed out as to our mills and for the amounts to go up it had to be by voter approval, yet every year since, I've noticed each entity getting more $ and we've had no special votes for increases. Sure seems to be alot of unknown variables that I continue to understand. I frequently look at the online mapservers and compare properties and there's very little rhyme or reason. That being said our home is under assessed with the way prices have soared this yr. Even with the significant raise on our property taxes this year.

We do have alternatives that could drop our cost by $2k a yr we will look into closer should this continue. We hope to sell and move very soon so hopefully it won't matter much.

^^^ Each state is different. Where we now live, there is no automatic re-appraisal of value on sale/purchase. In addition there is a 3% cap increase when we declare it as our primary home. We were pleased when we sold our home and bought another home in January. Our buyers were delighted to only pay $2.4K on property tax for a $700K home while we paid under $4K on a $900K home.

Back
Top Bottom