Retirement Excel Spreadsheet OR Website

jesa

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hopefully this is in the right forum. Between my significant other and I, our savings will change greatly over the next few years. Doubling and even tripling some. Is there a good tool to easily insert different savings amounts annually that will still compound over time?

For example:
Currently we are saving approximately 120k a year between 401k and taxable accounts. This amount will go up in the next 2 years and then again in 3 years. I can't seem to find a good tool to change "annual contributions" over time in any compound interest calculators. Thoughts?

Hoping to find a really good spreadsheet, but am having trouble.

Thanks in advance.

2-3 years don't make much difference in "sequence of events" simulations if your "sequence" is long (>30 years). I would suggest trying FireCalc.com with few different saving rates that are somewhere in between your current saving rate and future saving rate and see the differences. Pictures are going to be worth thousand words.

I haven't found one either. When I get around to finding what the actual compound interest equation is again, Iplan on building a public Drive spreadsheet that will do that.

Until then I've been having to manipulate a compound interest calculator in multiple tabs to see how things look. Tedious, to say the least.

Over the years, I have built my own. It's probably way too specific to how I want to see things to help anyone else, but basically you just need rows for your various savings types (e-fund, 401(k), Roth, IRA whatever), columns for X years going forward, and then at the bottom you have totals for each type of account, affected by the savings columns and assumptions about investment returns. Then you can plug in whatever savings levels you think you will have each year, and then see the effect on the totals.

Retirement Planning Tool - Visual Calculator
The above tool may be worth looking at for your specific question. You can put in your base salary today with a % savings. This will include just the base amount your are saving today. Then go to the "future income" tab and input an new annuity for each increase in savings that you think you will make. That will act like what you want (I thnk). Don't forget to consider the Advanced Settings "Annual Raise". If not 0, it will increment up your base salary and base savings each year so need to take this into account.

BTW - I like this calculator for questions like yours. When you get more deeply into retirement questions, Firecalc or I-ORP are the ones I like better.

Hopefully this is in the right forum. Between my significant other and I, our savings will change greatly over the next few years. Doubling and even tripling some. Is there a good tool to easily insert different savings amounts annually that will still compound over time?

For example:
Currently we are saving approximately 120k a year between 401k and taxable accounts. This amount will go up in the next 2 years and then again in 3 years. I can't seem to find a good tool to change "annual contributions" over time in any compound interest calculators. Thoughts?

Hoping to find a really good spreadsheet, but am having trouble.

Thanks in advance.

Hi

Try moneychimp.com. Very straightforward/-allows you to manipulate principal, annual additions, years to compound as well as anticipated return rate. Once on the site just select the calculator tab

Syd

Quicken Lifetime Planner, bundled in Quicken Deluxe or higher, can easily do what you described.

I built my own in XLS so I could to lots of different what-if scenarios. It includes lots of triggers and variables...

COL, 401k, IRA, Roth, SSA, Pension, Rental Income, Depreciation, AGI, positions

It took me a long time to build it but now I have tested it and stress-tested it and even others have decided they want me to run their scenarios with my XLS.

For instance my dad knew he was going to have a tax problem come RMD, but he never really knew what kind of problem. I can show him what this problem looks like without backdoor conversions, and what it looks like with... knowing what his AGI is I can let him know how much he needs this year to "top-off" his Conversions without going over his income bracket.

It even has ammortization, budget and asset allocation

Here's a recent thread about a spreadsheet. I haven't looked at it (I currently suffer from SWR fatigue).

If you are adept at making spreadsheets then I am another person who recommends making your own custom plan. You can extend it out month by month for decades and input the changes in you plan wherever you want. It sounds like a lot of work but there probably won't be that many changes over time and you will be sure the results apply to you exact situation.

Back
Top Bottom