Retirement Prep 101

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
Here is a 17 minute presentation on a subject near/dear to most of us here-saving for retirement.

Kevin Bracker, a finance professor at Pittsburg State University in Kansas, presents a solid retirement strategy to workers with limited resources who need to get smart about saving and investing.
While not exactly a lively speaker, Bracker explains the most important concepts clearly – why starting to save early is important, why index funds are often better than actively managed investments, the difference between Roth and traditional IRAs, etc.

https://squaredawayblog.bc.edu/squared-away/video-retirement-prep-101/

... why index funds are often better than actively managed investments,

'often' Hmm.

I have never invested in any 'index fund'. But this makes me wonder about how much tax-sheltering index funds provide?

My investments provided tax-sheltering over my salary income.

From 1983 until I retired in 2001, I filed income taxes every year, but I did not pay income taxes during any of those years. Because we maintained our taxable income less than the tax shelter that we had.

'often' Hmm.

I have never invested in any 'index fund'. But this makes me wonder about how much tax-sheltering index funds provide?

My investments provided tax-sheltering over my salary income.

From 1983 until I retired in 2001, I filed income taxes every year, but I did not pay income taxes during any of those years. Because we maintained our taxable income less than the tax shelter that we had.

Real Estate is normally a second job, how many want to take that on?

+1 And IIRC from earlier threads, this poster's understanding of "tax sheltering" was, ummm, questionable?

-ERD50

My career was mostly deployed, my wife needed something to keep her busy.

As a 'non-passive' activity the depreciation losses were subtracted from my salary income, which kept us from paying income taxes. All while building equity, that we later used to buy our retirement home.

Back
Top Bottom