Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-24-2018, 06:59 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

With our 401K, the company match was only in company stock. At the time DH and I both worked for the same company so it was a significant amount. I'm not sure if that was a "company" rule or someone else's but it was changed shortly after Enron went belly-up.

Within a week I changed it into index funds.

Turned out to be a good move.

We also had stock options, sold at about $75 fifteen+ years ago, stock went up to $100 for a short time, crashed with the rest of the market (financial company), stock went down to $3.00 at one time and is now around $50.
Luvdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2018, 07:10 AM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a teensy weensy GE pension coming to me from a company that was bought by GE in the 90s. I worked at the company for only 6 years. So I'll get $465 a month in 5 year when I am 65. Since its equals $5580 a year, I wonder if I should accept a lump sum if offered if the company is on shaky ground with its pension funding?
Fleur58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:28 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur58 View Post
I have a teensy weensy GE pension coming to me from a company that was bought by GE in the 90s. I worked at the company for only 6 years. So I'll get $465 a month in 5 year when I am 65. Since its equals $5580 a year, I wonder if I should accept a lump sum if offered if the company is on shaky ground with its pension funding?
I had something similar, and took the buyout offer. In my case, I had worked for McDonnell-Douglas, and then Boeing, once they took us over. I had something like 5 1/2 years in...I remember it wasn't quite 6. That got me a pension of $349.21 per month, when I turn 65. So, in 2035, I'd start getting it. It wasn't indexed to inflation though...it would just be that amount.

Back in 2014, they offered a buyout, and I took it. I got a little over $14,000. It might not have been the best decision in the world, but I figured I'd rather get the money now, and be responsible for it, rather than have their pension plan go through some kind of turmoil.

FWIW, I ran the numbers, and I'd have to generate a return of around 10.5% each year, to get $14K on 1/1/15 up to $103,127 by 1/1/2035. That's about what I'd need for a 4% SWR to generate roughly $349.21/mo. Realistically, that probably won't happen. But, who knows what would happen to the terms of that pension over time, either?
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:40 AM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I wonder how much his salary when still working was. Was it more than $85K? I did not know GE pays factory workers that well, but then anything is possible.
A GE worker could easily make $85k a year. I worked in a precision sheet metal company that was a subcontractor to GE when I was a teen and there were several people making over $40/hour on the floor and this was in the early '80s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
If GE is that generous with pensions, or that inept at negotiating labor wages, perhaps it was inevitable that they were going to fail. It certainly brings to question their other management decisions and negotiation skills.
Same reason a lot of city's have issues now, they were to generous with pensions and inept a negotiating wages. Difference is a municipality can always just raise taxes to pay.
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote