Retiring in 1965 - The Worst Time Ever?

4% can be close to ok if you have SS or a pension that replaces a good portion of your spending needs.

For example, take firecalc and a 50 year old single with $1 million in assets and $40k living expenses, 60/40 portfolio and the remaining assumptions defaults. Success ratio is 73.7%.

Now assume that SS replaces 25% of living expenses ($10k in current $) beginning at age 66 and the success ratio increases to 91.6%.

Now assume that instead the person waits until age 70 and receives $13.2k (132%, 8% increase for 4 years) and the success ratio is still 91.6%.

So SS can have a significant impact on a sustainable withdrawal ratio. For me, I would want 98% success which implies a 3.75% WR with SS covering 25% of living expenses ($10k in the scenario above), so it isn't a lot lower than 4%.

Or 92.6% success ratio if SS is started at 62. I guess in this simple scenario it does pay to start SS early (per Firecalc anyway)

4% can be close to ok if you have SS or a pension that replaces a good portion of your spending needs.
Sure, as is amply proven by those retirees with essentially no savings, What counts is not savings, but cash flow and its reliability.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom