Join Early Retirement Today

Retroactive Stop Loss Special Pay (Military)
Old 11-03-2009, 08:24 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Retroactive Stop Loss Special Pay (Military)

MY first thread posting and not sure if this is the right place for this. But I just read about this today, perhaps it's already been discussed - but I didn't see it when I searched. Here is quote from USAF pay site:
Quote:
Approximately 39,000 current and former Airmen who were involuntarily held on active duty beyond an approved separation or retirement date as a result of stop loss between Sept. 11, 2001, and Sept. 30, 2009, may be eligible for a Retroactive Stop Loss Special Pay compensation of $500 for each whole or partial month they were affected.

The 2009 War Supplemental Appropriation Act set aside $534.4 million for the Retroactive Stop-Loss Special Pay compensation authority. The Air Force used stop loss for Operation Enduring Freedom in 2001 and 2002 and Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2003. The Stop Loss Program may have affected approximately 39,000 Airmen.

Airmen have until Oct. 21, 2010, to file their claim.
Here is link to article on Military.com... Perhaps some unexpected cash for some here? Searching up 8yr old documentation should be "fun", but for a 'few thou' - I guess it's time to start digging...

P.S. This does apply to the 'other services' tooo.
Quote:
All of the services applied for Stop Loss authority. The Navy applied an average of 15 months of Stop Loss to 250 servicemembers; the Air Force applied an average of seven months of Stop Loss to 39,000 servicemembers; the Marine Corps applied an average of three months of Stop Loss to 9,500 Marines; and the Army applied an average of seven months of Stop Loss to 137,000 soldiers, Retherford said.
JustNtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2009, 08:47 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Can you say National Archives? I've gone through two moves and 11 years since my last enlistment. The archives have all of your military documents in storage. There is at least a 10 day waiting period before you start bugging them about why your documents haven't arrived yet though. After looking through the obvious places, I figured it would be much easier to locate the enlistment papers through the archives than searching my entire house.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire View Post
Can you say National Archives? I've gone through two moves and 11 years since my last enlistment. The archives have all of your military documents in storage. There is at least a 10 day waiting period before you start bugging them about why your documents haven't arrived yet though. After looking through the obvious places, I figured it would be much easier to locate the enlistment papers through the archives than searching my entire house.
Yup I can, but I'll take a look first. I know I have it somewhere, I never got a big enough shreader to get rid of all those mil docs.
JustNtime is offline   Reply With Quote