Return an old credit card?

braumeister

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Just received a new credit card and it included a postage paid envelope "to return your outdated card for secure disposal."

I've never seen this before. I'll just run the old card through the shredder like I've always done, but I wondered if this is becoming common?

Just received a new credit card and it included a postage paid envelope "to return your outdated card for secure disposal."

I've never seen this before. I'll just run the old card through the shredder like I've always done, but I wondered if this is becoming common?
I have never seen this.

I would do exactly what you did. No way am I going to send an intact, usable credit card anywhere in the mail. If I felt obliged to mail it to them for some reason, I'd shred it first and then mail the shreddings.

Could this be some sort of con job? You might want to activate and use the new card before you shred the old one, just to make sure it is valid.

never heard of it either. I agree that it just increases the risk of fraud, so I'd dispose of it myself and ignore the return envelope.

I'm thinking they are trying to avoid people who just toss 'em inna trash where the identity thieves can get an easy score.

Update:
The card seems to actually be metal, not plastic, and extraordinarily tough.

Before going to the shredder I took a pair of scissors to it and had to seriously work to cut it in half. The pieces went through the shredder, but it complained.

Now I understand why they send the return envelope.

Update:

Before going to the shredder I took a pair of scissors to it and had to seriously work to cut it in half. The pieces went through the shredder, but it complained.

You beat me to it. I have a few of those rock-solid cards. When they expired I got the return envelope. I tried to mangle them a bit with my tin snips, but then sent them back in the return envelope. In any event, I felt comfortable because the cards were expired.

Last edited:
Metal card? I got an envelope to return same back when. Was more fun beating it to death.

I've never seen one. When I do I'll have at it with the torch - :)

When I checked out of Megacorp they asked for my corporate card so I cut it in in two and sent them half.

Update:

Ahhh, that makes sense now. The metal cards are really hard to destroy. And they will break your shredder.

Update:

When I got the metal one in the mail it came with instructions to NOT try putting it in a shredder. I think the metal is supposed to be some sort of "status" thing. It doesn't work any different than a plastic one and has to cost more to make so I don't see the point in it.

When I got the metal one in the mail it came with instructions to NOT try putting it in a shredder. I think the metal is supposed to be some sort of "status" thing. It doesn't work any different than a plastic one and has to cost more to make so I don't see the point in it.

It's a status thing for those high rollers with big annual fees, perks, and high credit limits.

No wait...

I'm in the first class, Maine Lobster and Wagyu club, drinkin' Nolet martinis and livin' large and I ain't never seen one of them stainless steel titanium credit cards.

Do they have chips in them too?

Update:

I just used my heavy duty metal cutting scissors in the garage. I always throw the pieces in separate waste containers so nobody could get the pieces together. Secret agent Lsbcal. :cool:

No wait...

I'm in the first class, Maine Lobster and Wagyu club, drinkin' Nolet martinis and livin' large and I ain't never seen one of them stainless steel titanium credit cards.

Do they have chips in them too?

Finally, I do something more classy than you when I buy a meal at Mc'D's :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom