Join Early Retirement Today

Revisiting Firecalc?
Old 11-11-2022, 09:17 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Revisiting Firecalc?

Let's start off by saying that, like the 4% "rule", most of us here use FireCalc as a guide more than a firm set of 'down to the dollar' results.

So, back 17 years ago when I first RE'd, I stumbled upon FireCalc, ran my portfolio balance with an age 95 end point. I've tried, succeeded and often failed to stay close to the guidelines, some years better than others.

I've often played with FC along the way more of a distraction than trying to update my results.

Now, at age 70 my portfolio is double what it was and I'm 17 years closer to my age 95 end point than I was back then.

Is there any value in re-evaluating FC's results with new inputs? Do the original results still hold?

At this point, I know it really doesn't matter but more interested from an academic standpoint.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2022, 09:19 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I run all the retirement calculators I originally used from time to time, not out of worry, but for giggles and kicks.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 09:55 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I run all the retirement calculators I originally used from time to time, not out of worry, but for giggles and kicks.

Me too!! I just like to see numbers and how they are affected by time.

VW
Old 11-11-2022, 10:06 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
...Now, at age 70 my portfolio is double what it was and I'm 17 years closer to my age 95 end point than I was back then.

Is there any value in re-evaluating FC's results with new inputs? Do the original results still hold? ...
What you might be interested in is to run it and using the Investigate tab select the option to calculate the spending level for a 95% success rate... I'm betting that you can safely spend much more than you are currently spending.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 10:41 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

It does not matter if you retired 17 years ago or 17 minutes ago, the value of FireCalc telling you how your money *may* do, from this point forward for N years (based on history), is still valid. I re-run mine, based on my current assets, every year. It gives piece of mind.
Old 11-11-2022, 11:23 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post

Now, at age 70 my portfolio is double what it was and I'm 17 years closer to my age 95 end point than I was back then.

Appreciate the historical context of your remarks… kinda shocked that FIRECALC was around 17 years ago… curious what your AA was back then and what it is now if you don’t mind sharing.

In addition to FIRECALC I hired two financial advisors (stupid I know but my spouse liked some 3rd party reassurance) and they gave us a thumbs up.
RetiredAt49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 11:36 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks Marco

Much appreciated for your feedback on Firecalc for your specific case particulars vs time frame.
Old 11-11-2022, 11:43 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
What you might be interested in is to run it and using the Investigate tab select the option to calculate the spending level for a 95% success rate... I'm betting that you can safely spend much more than you are currently spending.

I was looking to play around with the investigate option yesterday. I can't find it anymore. Is it still an option?
Pointby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 11:50 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

I run it at the end of each year when I look at the upcoming year's spending estimates. I probably don't need to since my net worth has doubled since I retired in 2016, but it is a good check on where my spending is vs the historical max for my portfolio amount.

It is simply one more thing that helps me sleep better.

PS = congrats on the financially successful retirement!
Old 11-11-2022, 11:55 AM   #10

Sure. Why not?
I play with Fidelity planner every now and then. Expenses and expectations change along with portfolio size.

Sent from my LM-Q850 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 11-11-2022, 12:12 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by camfused View Post
It does not matter if you retired 17 years ago or 17 minutes ago, the value of FireCalc telling you how your money *may* do, from this point forward for N years (based on history), is still valid. I re-run mine, based on my current assets, every year. It gives piece of mind.

I do the same.
bltkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 12:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
I do the same.
Same here. I also like to run what ifs and stress test my results.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 12:30 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by camfused View Post
Yes, but the issue is that the portfolio has doubled and the timeline in which to spend it has shrunk. See Pb4uski below

Quote:
Correct. That is exactly what I've seen. If I was 94 years old with a 95 end point, I'd be BTD in a big way!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAt49 View Post
Appreciate the historical context of your remarks… kinda shocked that FIRECALC was around 17 years ago… curious what your AA was back then and what it is now if you don’t mind sharing.
70/30 with a bit of cash set aside in a MM fund. Was originally 60/40 but 2008 emboldened me for the better.
Old 11-11-2022, 12:49 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointby2 View Post
I was looking to play around with the investigate option yesterday. I can't find it anymore. Is it still an option?
It is the last tab in Firecalc.
Old 11-11-2022, 12:50 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I love the financial calculators and run Fidelity and Firecalc multiple times a year, as the math also intrigues me.
Old 11-11-2022, 12:53 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post

That tab doesn't appear in FireFox. I opened it in Chrome and there it is! Weird.
Pointby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 12:58 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
hey, thanks for that tip! I had never done that before. Using that as a guide (I know it's just a guide), I could spend a *lot* more than I am currently spending. Good news is that gives me a ton of comfort to weather (almost) any financial storm I may encounter.
Unpaintedhuffhines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 01:49 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Keep in mind that 95% success in Firecalc is based on the 4% WR guidance.
This 4% guidance failure has not been tested severely since one who retired in 1966, so all good for now.
Old 11-11-2022, 02:20 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post

You need to login in order to see the Investigate tab. Creating a login (IIRC) requires a small donation.
Kabowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 02:25 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabowest View Post
You need to login in order to see the Investigate tab. Creating a login (IIRC) requires a small donation.
Creating a login does NOT require a donation.