Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-22-2020, 05:59 PM   #201
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 32,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
We occasionally end up with us much as half a year's spending in the check book at one time. Usually happens after our yearly RMD (or whatever I'm calling it this year since I took it but didn't have to.) The nice wahine and tutus at the bank always suggest a CD when that happens. But our in-and-out flow can be spectacular, though "spotty" so it makes no sense to me to go for even a 3 mo CD or similar. Besides the interest is too paltry to even bother. I'd keep it under the mattress before I'd give the banks the pleasure of tying up my cash for so little interest. But, I'm not bitter! Besides, I love the folks at the bank - 90 degress off topic, but I would miss going to the bank if I decided to bank online. YMMV
High yield savings accounts are great places to park several months worth of living expenses.
__________________
Retired since summer 1999.
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Ridiculous CD rates - where now
Old 12-22-2020, 06:33 PM   #202
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Laurel, MD
Posts: 6,971
Ridiculous CD rates - where now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
We occasionally end up with us much as half a year's spending in the check book at one time. Usually happens after our yearly RMD (or whatever I'm calling it this year since I took it but didn't have to.) The nice wahine and tutus at the bank always suggest a CD when that happens. But our in-and-out flow can be spectacular, though "spotty" so it makes no sense to me to go for even a 3 mo CD or similar. Besides the interest is too paltry to even bother. I'd keep it under the mattress before I'd give the banks the pleasure of tying up my cash for so little interest. But, I'm not bitter! Besides, I love the folks at the bank - 90 degress off topic, but I would miss going to the bank if I decided to bank online. YMMV


What is wahine and tutus? Wait, are you saying someone at the bank is suggesting you have too much in checking? I canít imagine a teller or some other schmo even commenting without being asked. Reminds me of an episode on the Wells Fargo scandal I watched recently. One more reason for me not to go inside.
__________________
...with no reasonable expectation for ER, I'm just here auditing the AP class.Retired 8/1/15.
jazz4cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 11:05 PM   #203
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Sunset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Posts: 13,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
We occasionally end up with us much as half a year's spending in the check book at one time. Usually happens after our yearly RMD (or whatever I'm calling it this year since I took it but didn't have to.) The nice wahine and tutus at the bank always suggest a CD when that happens. But our in-and-out flow can be spectacular, though "spotty" so it makes no sense to me to go for even a 3 mo CD or similar. Besides the interest is too paltry to even bother. I'd keep it under the mattress before I'd give the banks the pleasure of tying up my cash for so little interest. But, I'm not bitter! Besides, I love the folks at the bank - 90 degress off topic, but I would miss going to the bank if I decided to bank online. YMMV
Wait until you are 85, and they will suggest a 10 yr annuity with your "extra" money if they are like the banks local to me.
__________________
Fortune favors the prepared mind. ... Louis Pasteur
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:17 AM   #204
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Laurel, MD
Posts: 6,971
I almost never go inside the bank but I do go into the credit union a few times a year. Now that I think about it I do seem to recall noting a change in facial expression when they pull up my account but they never comment and I donít really have that much in my accounts. It must be a commission/referral thing at certain banks.
__________________
...with no reasonable expectation for ER, I'm just here auditing the AP class.Retired 8/1/15.
jazz4cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 03:51 PM   #205
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 4,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
What is wahine and tutus?
This called to memory the movie "One Way Wahine". I remember seeing it as a kid, I had to look it up I believe it was 1966.

In the movie wahine meant a girl, but perhaps in this context it refers to one who is somewhat on the make?

Or perhaps clueless.

It's a beach movie but Tab Hunter is not in it.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 04:08 PM   #206
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: St. Charles
Posts: 3,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
It's a beach movie but Tab Hunter is not in it.
If it doesn't have Tab Hunter, Sandra Dee, Annette Funicello or Frankie Avalon, then its just a movie about a beach, not a "beach movie"
__________________
If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Never slow down, never grow old!
CardsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 04:23 PM   #207
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 4,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
If it doesn't have Tab Hunter, Sandra Dee, Annette Funicello or Frankie Avalon, then its just a movie about a beach, not a "beach movie"
Yeah, I know what you mean. If you like the genre, one of my favorites is "Ride the Wild Surf" with Shelley Fabares (oh so cute), Fabian, Barbara Eden, Peter Brown (who stared in all those western movies and shows but his hair is bleach blond here). Oh yes, and Tab Hunter.

It is actually pretty good. No beach blanket bingo and they do not seem very focused on CD rates. But there are some excellent surfing sequences mixed in and nice Hawaii scenery.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 04:28 PM   #208
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Chuckanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West of the Mississippi
Posts: 14,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
This called to memory the movie "One Way Wahine". I remember seeing it as a kid, I had to look it up I believe it was 1966.

In the movie wahine meant a girl,
In my first trip to Hawaii, I was a young 20-something. I spent a lot of time with my telephoto lens photographing the Wahine. It definitely meant 'girl' to me.

After a few days of enjoyable photography, I put aside the telephoto lens at times, and decided to investigate the Wahine up close.
__________________
The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.

Self proclaimed President for Life of Outliers United.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 05:15 PM   #209
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sarasota, FL & Vermont
Posts: 32,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
Yeah, I know what you mean. If you like the genre, one of my favorites is "Ride the Wild Surf" with Shelley Fabares (oh so cute)....
I had never heard of her... but this guy seemed interested in her:
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 05:19 PM   #210
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: St. Charles
Posts: 3,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
Yeah, I know what you mean. If you like the genre, one of my favorites is "Ride the Wild Surf" with Shelley Fabares (oh so cute), Fabian, Barbara Eden, Peter Brown (who stared in all those western movies and shows but his hair is bleach blond here). Oh yes, and Tab Hunter.

It is actually pretty good. No beach blanket bingo and they do not seem very focused on CD rates. But there are some excellent surfing sequences mixed in and nice Hawaii scenery.
OK, now that we have officially hijacked this thread, how could I forget Shelley Fabares, and Fabian!
__________________
If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Never slow down, never grow old!
CardsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 05:24 PM   #211
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sarasota, FL & Vermont
Posts: 32,242
It's not a hijack... just a short detour.
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 05:26 PM   #212
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: St. Charles
Posts: 3,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
It's not a hijack... just a short detour.
Yeah, we need those when CD rates are so RIDICULOUS
__________________
If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Never slow down, never grow old!
CardsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 05:35 PM   #213
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Tampa
Posts: 9,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
OK, now that we have officially hijacked this thread, how could I forget Shelley Fabares, and Fabian!
Shelley aged well in the show "Coach".
__________________
TGIM
Dtail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 05:51 PM   #214
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: St. Charles
Posts: 3,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Shelley aged well in the show "Coach".
Quite correct. I forgot about that. She always had that good looking girl next door image.
__________________
If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Never slow down, never grow old!
CardsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 12:23 AM   #215
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
calmloki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Independence
Posts: 6,908
End of the year, a time to reflect on what all hasn't been done as well as possible. Got busy and am scraping any extra cash from random accounts and stuffing it into the spare space in our GTE 3% maturing 2024 account. We have a number of 3+% accounts maturing from mid January to the end of March and there is no good reason to wait to add to the GTE CD. If stocks go on sale or something juicy pops up that needs fast cash we can break one or more of the Ally no-penalty CDs maturing end of March to pay for it. Just silly not to have as much as possible making 3%. Of course compared to market performance in 2020 3% is small potatoes, but I'm a big chicken - maybe 22% stocks at age 70.

We just each scored $750 bonus amounts from BofA - they held $50k each of our money in individual Business Advantage Fundamentals accounts for 3 months. So 6%/annum, but only for a 3 month period. Who all else is working schemes to improve their interest income - and what are they?
__________________
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 07:16 PM   #216
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Koolau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Leeward Oahu
Posts: 10,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
What is wahine and tutus? Wait, are you saying someone at the bank is suggesting you have too much in checking? I canít imagine a teller or some other schmo even commenting without being asked. Reminds me of an episode on the Wells Fargo scandal I watched recently. One more reason for me not to go inside.
Wahine = young woman. Tutu = older lady. (Tutu wahine = grandma - I just threw that in for free.)

Yes, when the checking acct. gets a significant amount of money in it, the bank folks sometimes suggest a CD (not as much now that CDs earn so little.) I assume that's mgmt. policy. Tied-up money (like in a CD) can be loaned out at higher multiples IIRC. YMMV
__________________
Ko'olau's Law -

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 08:26 PM   #217
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Omaha
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Wahine = young woman. Tutu = older lady. (Tutu wahine = grandma - I just threw that in for free.)

Yes, when the checking acct. gets a significant amount of money in it, the bank folks sometimes suggest a CD (not as much now that CDs earn so little.) I assume that's mgmt. policy. Tied-up money (like in a CD) can be loaned out at higher multiples IIRC. YMMV

It's kind of a profit thing.
Oilcan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 08:37 PM   #218
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 15,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
End of the year, a time to reflect on what all hasn't been done as well as possible. Got busy and am scraping any extra cash from random accounts and stuffing it into the spare space in our GTE 3% maturing 2024 account. We have a number of 3+% accounts maturing from mid January to the end of March and there is no good reason to wait to add to the GTE CD. If stocks go on sale or something juicy pops up that needs fast cash we can break one or more of the Ally no-penalty CDs maturing end of March to pay for it. Just silly not to have as much as possible making 3%. Of course compared to market performance in 2020 3% is small potatoes, but I'm a big chicken - maybe 22% stocks at age 70.

We just each scored $750 bonus amounts from BofA - they held $50k each of our money in individual Business Advantage Fundamentals accounts for 3 months. So 6%/annum, but only for a 3 month period. Who all else is working schemes to improve their interest income - and what are they?
I'm like you, but @77 years old, and about 25% equities and the rest scattered around in short term bond funds, CD's ending early 2021, some preferred stock, and cash earning nothing.

There just aren't any decent and safe ways to earn enough to beat inflation. They are killing us older folks with ZIRP. I even have the equities hedged with the Cambria TAIL Risk ETF.

https://www.cambriafunds.com/tail

No new schemes to get 2+% unfortunately.
__________________
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth...philosopher Mike Tyson
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 09:00 PM   #219
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Al in Ohio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Columbus
Posts: 1,102
I will put several of my expiring CDs in VTMFX.
__________________
Ohio REFI PE ENG and Investor as of 2016
Al in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 09:16 PM   #220
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
CaliKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Cali
Posts: 1,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
In my first trip to Hawaii, I was a young 20-something. I spent a lot of time with my telephoto lens photographing the Wahine. It definitely meant 'girl' to me.

After a few days of enjoyable photography, I put aside the telephoto lens at times, and decided to investigate the Wahine up close.
Perhaps we can get a full report in a separate thread!
__________________
______________________
Hoping to get out around September 1, 2022... I hope, I hope, I hope. Until then off to work I go....
CaliKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ridiculous songs to play while house cleaning Martha Other topics 42 05-30-2011 03:26 PM
Ridiculous retirement advice programs steelyman Other topics 33 04-14-2011 10:27 PM
Penfed closing costs on a refi...Ridiculous JohnDoe FIRE and Money 8 12-19-2008 11:16 PM
Doomsday talk ridiculous, be of good heart haha FIRE and Money 13 09-22-2008 08:35 AM
Ridiculous sprinkler repair cute fuzzy bunny Other topics 6 04-14-2007 01:42 PM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:58 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.