Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-27-2018, 05:19 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
I agree, but wish I knew more about the play between Roth, TIRA and Taxable accounts back then, so could have made better investment decisions as to allocation between the 3 vehicles.
I think 2010 was the first year someone could covert a traditional IRA to a Roth regardless of income. Well, if it had been an option earlier, we might have done it during the 2000s, also when our IRAs were smaller. By 2010 our investment income was pushing us into higher brackets.

I think people forget how some of the rules changed along the way. Roth was not an option when I was working, otherwise I would have taken advantage. Also, IRA contribution limits, especially for older folks, were raised substantially after I retired.

I’m not complaining. As it happens, our IRAs are perhaps 13% of our retirement assets, so we were comparatively low to begin with. So even though our RMDs will probably be taxed harshly, it could have been way worse, I suppose.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2018, 05:44 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I’m in the “money is fungible” camp and don’t see it affecting our budget at all.

I can imagine using (part of) the RMD for (already budgeted) charity giving since there is a tax angle there. That assumes we’ve used up the DAF we funded last year.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:49 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I think 2010 was the first year someone could covert a traditional IRA to a Roth regardless of income. Well, if it had been an option earlier, we might have done it during the 2000s, also when our IRAs were smaller. By 2010 our investment income was pushing us into higher brackets.

I think people forget how some of the rules changed along the way. Roth was not an option when I was working, otherwise I would have taken advantage. Also, IRA contribution limits, especially for older folks, were raised substantially after I retired.

I’m not complaining. As it happens, our IRAs are perhaps 13% of our retirement assets, so we were comparatively low to begin with. So even though our RMDs will probably be taxed harshly, it could have been way worse, I suppose.

Perhaps a better way to compare is to look at the tax rates in the 80s and 90s and consider how much less you will pay now compared to the tax rates back then. Recall that in 1980 the top tax rate was 70% and it is about 1/2 that now.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:54 PM   #84

Understanding the options for RMDs made a big difference in tax planning to me. I originally had a six figure amount stashed in a taxable bank account earmarked for a special project at my favorite charity. The project timing has slipped to the right. I told the charity it would make a very large difference in money transfered to the government if that money was transfered as QCDs after I turn 70.5. It will work for the project and will increase the amount they get so they agreed. It is a win for me by freeing up cash for current needs. Everyone is happy.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:00 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Perhaps a better way to compare is to look at the tax rates in the 80s and 90s and consider how much less you will pay now compared to the tax rates back then. Recall that in 1980 the top tax rate was 70% and it is about 1/2 that now.
Yes, I was paying higher taxes in the 80s, as I was in that weird “surcharge” group that paid 33%, I think, after the Reagan tax changes. Tax rates went back down above that in the next higher bracket. Bizarre.

I don’t remember my marginal rates during the 90s.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:32 PM   #86
Full time employment: Posting here.

I’m with ERD50; its part of the portfolio. How to reduce them is another question. Tax implications are another question. I stopped making deferred deductions this year now that the marginal is 22% for us (barely). Lowest marginal rate I’ve had in many many years.
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:41 PM   #87
gone traveling

RMDs will hit us next year, as will DW's small pension, and the year after that she will start SS. I am already collecting SS, plus we use my IRA for living expenses. We are going to be hit with much larger withdrawals due to my RMD and most likely will spend some, save/reinvest some and gift some to the kids.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:44 AM   #88

I don't remember exactly when ROTH 401K's became an option, but at the time we decided that we would not bother to start splitting our contributions between Roth and Tax deferred, as there was so little time left before retirement. I'll admit I'm jealous of those who have Roths. But I am relieved to say, that the rationale for pumping as much into tradiational IRA's and then 401K's, because- "you'll likely be in a lower tax bracket in retirement, when RMD's hit", has turned out to be true, now that the tax code has changed the marginal tax thresholds. There was a time that I wondered if we would be in a lower tax bracket.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:45 AM   #89

Quote:
I also started converting my trad IRA to Roth up to an amount that would keep me in the 15% tax rate. I had the additional advantage of living overseas so I didn't have to pay any state income tax. Now I have a nice chunk of Roth money earning me tax free income which I don't need.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:49 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
I don't remember exactly when ROTH 401K's became an option, but at the time we decided that we would not bother to start splitting our contributions between Roth and Tax deferred, as there was so little time left before retirement. I'll admit I'm jealous of those who have Roths. But I am relieved to say, that the rationale for pumping as much into tradiational IRA's and then 401K's, because- "you'll likely be in a lower tax bracket in retirement, when RMD's hit", has turned out to be true, now that the tax code has changed the marginal tax thresholds. There was a time that I wondered if we would be in a lower tax bracket.
Roth IRAs were created in 1997. Our income was too high to contribute, so missed that boat. We might have been able to do some conversions during the but the income limit prevented that. The income limit was dropped in 2010. But our marginal tax rate was higher then, mainly due to AMT, so we hadn’t had the opportunity.

Since the 2018 tax changes we are no longer subject to AMT, but would be pushed into higher Medicare brackets for 2020 from Roth conversion this year. I’ll take another look later this year.

In general, it seems that the amount we can convert is small compared to what will still remain, and our IRAs are only 13% of our retirement assets, so it rarely seems worth all that trouble. I’ll probably default to the attitude of enjoying lower taxes now, and in the future come what may.....
Old 06-29-2018, 08:42 AM   #91
Give me a forum ...

I don't have any RMDs yet, but my friend does. (He's the snake-bit one I have written about from time to time.) I help handle his portfolio and it includes taking the RMD from an inherited IRA he got, along with half of a large brokerage account, back in 2012. He doesn't need the ~$3,000 from the RMD, so we use it to pay income taxes on the investment earnings the inherited brokerage account spins off. Some years it paid all the extra the state income taxes but not the federal income taxes. Other years, it paid all the taxes so he took the rest as cash which helped fund his annual Roth IRA purchase.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:52 AM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I was in a high tax bracket from 2010 until I retired, so now don't feel bad that I could have done conversions or contribute in prior years.
So thanks for that info.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:30 AM   #93
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
He doesn't need the ~$3,000 from the RMD, so we use it to pay income taxes on the investment earnings the inherited brokerage account spins off.

I have done that with the inherited IRA RMDs also. 80% to Federal withholding, 15% to State. Easy way to put some money into withholding at the last minute if it looks like you might come up short.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:42 PM   #94
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post

I help handle his portfolio and it includes taking the RMD from an inherited IRA he got, along with half of a large brokerage account, back in 2012. He doesn't need the ~$3,000 from the RMD, so we use it to pay income taxes on the investment earnings the inherited brokerage account spins off. Some years it paid all the extra the state income taxes but not the federal income taxes. Other years, it paid all the taxes so he took the rest as cash which helped fund his annual Roth IRA purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ View Post

I had the additional advantage of living overseas so I didn't have to pay any state income tax.

I'm glad I live in Texas [no state income tax.]

It's bad enough paying the extra RMD federal tax
[including tax on SS.]

Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:08 PM   #95
Moderator Emeritus

SS covers 60% of our spending, RMDs cover the rest. Cash in emergency account covers stuff that "happens".

No pensions here, government or otherwise.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:38 PM   #96
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
I have some years left before I'm required to take MRD. My question is to you folks that are getting them now are you reinvesting, spending it and what have you been doing with these large sums of money?
Why would the initial RMD be a "large sum of money"? I would think it would be less than most normal yearly withdraw amounts. Thus the RMD could constitute just a part of ones normal withdrawl.
bw5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:22 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

My mom recently died and I am beneficiary of her IRA. It will be an inherited IRA for me. Because she had not taken her RMD for this year (she was in her 90s), it will be distributed to me (based on her life expectancy for this year only). I do not need this money for this year for living expenses. But, I must take it. I do still have some money that I was needing to withhold for taxes either through a distribution from DH's IRA or by paying estimated taxes.

So, instead of that I have asked the custodian to withhold 100% of the money from the RMD for income taxes. I asked and it is OK to do that. I was told to write on the form that, yes, I really did want to withhold 100% of the money (about $2500) for taxes.

DH had to take RMDs this year for the first time. That simply went into our checking account for living expenses.

Next year I will have to take an RMD from the inherited IRA but it will be a relatively small amount of money as it will be based upon my age and it will just go to general expenses most likely.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:56 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw5972 View Post
Why would the initial RMD be a "large sum of money"? I would think it would be less than most normal yearly withdraw amounts. Thus the RMD could constitute just a part of ones normal withdrawal.
The reason is right now my RMD is 5.5% of a large IRA, that I normally do not ever touch. Right now it is about equal to the total of our SS and pensions.
This impacts the taxing of our SS and puts us in a much higher tax bracket.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:16 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
The reason is right now my RMD is 5.5% of a large IRA, that I normally do not ever touch. Right now it is about equal to the total of our SS and pensions.
This impacts the taxing of our SS and puts us in a much higher tax bracket.
At 70.5 the RMD is 4% for singles couples of roughly equal ages, increasing to 5% at 78 6% at 83 7% at 86 8% at 89 10% at 93 etc. the table given here
IRA Required Minimum Distribution Worksheet

gives the number of years of life expectancy, and you divide you jan 1 amount by that number.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:18 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

I was a little worried when I ran one of the calculators on this and saw I had a lot of dough to deal with.

I dunno. Wrong calculator, user error, I dunno. The table (worksheet) gives me a much more sensible number about 1.5 X what my SS benefit will be at FRA.

Good to know. Not worried anymore. More dough to blow -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote