RMD from inherited IRA

Even if the RMD is not a large amount, what can be more valuable is the knowledge gained by seeking to maximize this IRA's value. Needing to decide when to take this RMD forces one to pay at least general attention to what is happening in the markets and the world. At low $ risk one can put to the test various strategies for maximizing the IRA's value, knowledge that can be very useful later when other, possibly larger withdrawals are needed to fund retirement.

Even if the RMD is not a large amount, what can be more valuable is the knowledge gained by seeking to maximize this IRA's value. Needing to decide when to take this RMD forces one to pay at least general attention to what is happening in the markets and the world. At low $ risk one can put to the test various strategies for maximizing the IRA's value, knowledge that can be very useful later when other, possibly larger withdrawals are needed to fund retirement.
IOW, the OP should teach him/herself to time the market? Not likely.

Timing the market once is not a good indicator that you can do it regularly.

You really do not have to time the market. DW has a TIRA and a taxable account. To take her RMD, I just transfer the amount of $ in one of her holdings to her taxable account, which also gives her a new basis.
If you Google IRS Pub 590B, Table I in the Appendix will give you the divisor based on your wife's age.

Last edited:
It's a simple calculation, just a look up table. But it gets real messy if you go low or forget. I'd do the calc once a year and add a hundred bucks for good measure.

Easiest way to time this is when you see a new car you really like. That is a good time to take a withdrawal. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom