Join Early Retirement Today

RMD Planning Spreadsheet?
Old 08-19-2017, 03:07 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

RMD Planning Spreadsheet?

We will be in RMD-land next year and forced to take distributions substantially higher than we have been taking to-date. Like close to double. Not a bad problem to have, I guess, but I am starting to stew about tax planning and estimated taxes. I think we will be able to use the IRS safe harbor rules to hold down our estimated tax payments but we also have other income, SS, etc. to stir into the stew.

So ... does anyone know of a site or spreadsheet that will support this kind of planning. Inputs would be assets subject to RMD, other income, projected asset growth, taxable account balances, projected spending, etc. Outputs would be estimated tax payments, account balances going forward, etc.

I could make a spreadsheet to do all this but the prospect does not fill me with joy. Hence my question.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2017, 03:34 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
We will be in RMD-land next year and forced to take distributions substantially higher than we have been taking to-date. Like close to double. Not a bad problem to have, I guess, but I am starting to stew about tax planning and estimated taxes. I think we will be able to use the IRS safe harbor rules to hold down our estimated tax payments but we also have other income, SS, etc. to stir into the stew.

So ... does anyone know of a site or spreadsheet that will support this kind of planning. Inputs would be assets subject to RMD, other income, projected asset growth, taxable account balances, projected spending, etc. Outputs would be estimated tax payments, account balances going forward, etc.

I could make a spreadsheet to do all this but the prospect does not fill me with joy. Hence my question.
Actually you can just make your own, get the rmd tables from the IRS Pub 590 b and it tells you how to make the calculation.
Basically take the balance in all times the percentage for the age, that gives you the distribution for that year, subtract that from the balance, multiply that amount by an estimated growth for the year, giving you the next years total and repeat the above. Beyond that you could add additional columns for taxable accounts etc. Note that you can have witholding on RMDs which is actually better than estimated payments as the withholding makes it less likley to have a insufficient payments penalty.
The basic rmd part is simple the rest you talk about might just be a tax guesstimate spreadsheet that takes the rmd results from its own page.

the following columns a age, b balance at the beginning of the year, c rmd d percentage withdrawal e estimated gain for the year (making the assumption the RMD is taken at the beginning of the year)
So you take the value in column be for the age in question times the value in d (expressing d as a decimal not a percent i.e, 4% is .04 etc) so b*d gives you the rmd, and the next years balance is (b-d)*e (expressed as a decimal again 4% gain here is 1.04) Then repeat for the next year (the required percentage increases as you get older) etc.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 04:02 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I just crank out a trial tax return based on ball park taxable income estimates and then send in equal quarterly payments as required. I double check the estimated tax return around November and if I have to change the last estimated payment, I do that before 1/15.

Never had a problem or issue with the IRS.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:42 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

+1 do a pro forma tax return for 2018 using your 2016/2017 income and deduction information adjusted for any expected changes and add to it your projected RMD based on your projected end of year 2017 IRA balances.

You can use Turbotax or Taxcaster or some similar software.

That addresses 2018 sensibly. If you want to do longer-term projections then a spreadsheet is a good possibility.

i-orp might also work.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:27 PM   #5

I set up an RMD spreadsheet using the IRS numbers. I have calculations going forward for a number of years, and just have to plug in the end of year values.
This tells me what my RMD is for the next year. I then calculate my QCD, how much to our children , and how much to me to cover the Estimated tax.
If you are familiar with Excel, you copy in the IRS guidelines and divide your year end number by each one
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:15 PM   #6

Or, you can use Fido's Retirement Income Planner which provides a spreadsheet that includes est RMDs. Of course, you have to input or link your IRA data.
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote