Join Early Retirement Today

Rmd timing
Old 04-09-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Rmd timing

I have a mid five figure Inherited Ira that I have to take a RMD from before the end of the year. I have taken this rmd in the past monthly or at the beginning of the year. I am thinking now might be a good time to take it with the market at an all time high. Any thoughts folks?
ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #2

Only you can answer, since it depends on both the holdings in the IRA and your personal tax situation. Not enough info in the question to respond.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The "all time high" has nothing to do with what will happen next, of course. Every time in the past that the market hit new highs it went on to have even higher-highs later (maybe the very next day, maybe in a year plus).

- If you want to bet that the market is going to fall or you want to be covered if it does, you could take the RMD and put the money into an after-tax account, invested in equities. If the market drops you can sell the shares later and harvest the losses to reduce your income (and taxes). Obviouslyu, you can't do that if it stays in the IRA. OTOH, if the market goes up the gains would be taxed at the favorable cap gains rates (0% if you are in the 15% bracket), not the higher rate they would be subject to when withdrawn from the IRA. So, I don't see any down side to taking the money now.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
I am thinking now might be a good time to take it with the market at an all time high. Any thoughts folks?
It could go higher: Why we’ll see Dow 18,000 before this bull run ends

...or not: New Critical Warning as 2013 shocker looms
Old 04-09-2013, 01:16 PM   #5

If you are convinced the IRA investment is peaking, now is reasonable time to withdraw... but no one can time the peak that well.

If it's a tIRA then I agree with samclem. If it's a Roth IRA, if you wait until the end of the year and the Roth's investments increase in value even further, you'll pay no tax on that gain.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #6
Administrator

You don't need to take the distribution now, it's a tax deferred account. If you think you can time, then sell what is at a peak and invest it in an interest bearing asset until year end. No sense in giving up the tax deferral until you need the money or cannot delay.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

don't forget this book from dec 1999

Dow 40, 000: Strategies for Profiting from the Greatest Bull Market in History: David Elias: 9780071351287: Amazon.com: Books
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
You don't need to take the distribution now, it's a tax deferred account. If you think you can time, then sell what is at a peak and invest it in an interest bearing asset until year end. No sense in giving up the tax deferral until you need the money or cannot delay.
+1.
What you sell or buy in the IRA is not connected to when you need to withdraw. In fact, if you have the choice, and are planning on investing the withdrawn amount, it is better to withdraw when the market is low - you pay less taxes.

Why not treat RMDs from an IRA just like withdrawals from a retirement portfolio. Keep the next 2-3 years of RMDs in a safe investment so that you're never forced to sell something in a slump just to meet RMDs.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote