Join Early Retirement Today

RMD? What to do with it if you don't need $
Old 02-03-2019, 01:32 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
RMD? What to do with it if you don't need $

This addresses a "problem" that some folks here have with what in the heck should I do with all of the RMD money that the FEDS require me to take after I am 70.5 years old? It's a good problem to have. RMD is a requirement to pay taxes, not spend the cash.

Quote:
First, remember this. Uncle Sam doesn’t care what you do with your RMD. “The IRS only cares that you remove that minimum amount from a tax-deferred IRA or other non-Roth account and pay taxes on that withdrawal,” said Dirk Cotton, a financial planner and author of the Retirement Café blog. “And, don’t get too upset about paying taxes on your IRA withdrawals. The deal you chose years ago allowed you to take a tax break back then and to defer taxes into the future (now).”
Others agree. “The IRS requires the RMD be withdrawn from tax-deferred accounts after age 70˝, but it does not require that you spend the withdrawal or specify what you can do with it,” said Michael Lonier, a financial planner with Lonier Financial Advisory. “You simply withdraw it, pay the tax that is due, and put in your after-tax pocket.”
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/wh...ses-2016-11-02

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2019, 01:36 PM   #2

This comes up from time to time, the consensus seems to be just pay whatever taxes are due and put the rest in a taxable account according to your current AA.

Or, you can buy a horse, boat, or airplane. Any will quickly drain whatever cash you have left.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:37 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Stand by for the usual suspects to come along and b*tch about how unfair it is that we are forced to withdraw RMD money from our IRA accounts...
Old 02-03-2019, 01:40 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I didn't read the article, but is there a "problem"? Take the RMD or not (and take a nice penalty, though) and then do with it what you want.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:40 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I find it hard to understand why someone wouldn't know that you do the same thing with RMD money as with any other money - spend/save/invest it, in some combination. Isn't that what people do with money all along?
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 01:42 PM   #6

You don't have to pay the taxes if you donate the RMD to charity via QCD.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 01:43 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
This comes up from time to time, the consensus seems to be just pay whatever taxes are due and put the rest in a taxable account according to your current AA.

Or, you can buy a horse, boat, or airplane. Any will quickly drain whatever cash you have left.
This ^. I won't need it either so we have a few options.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 01:48 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Isn't why we put it in an IRA in the first place to defer paying tax on it?

I love pulling the RMD each year! It makes me feel like I am getting paid again!
Old 02-03-2019, 01:54 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Isn't why we put it in an IRA in the first place to defer paying tax on it?

I love pulling the RMD each year! It makes me feel like I am getting paid again!
Makes me feel like I'm getting away with something - and it's entirely legal! Paying 12% tax instead of the 31% I would have paid had I not deferred always puts a smile on my face.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:57 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
That's the best solution.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 02:02 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Stand by for the usual suspects to come along and b*tch about how unfair it is that we are forced to withdraw RMD money from our IRA accounts...
But it is much more pleasurable if the market's high versus low.

But it is what it is, and the penalty for not taking the withdrawal is enormous.

Thankfully I'm good for awhile, but the wife has to start taking the RMDs this year--but not too much $.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 02:15 PM   #12

Everyone handles it differently, but here is what we do:
For DW, move equities to her taxable account to satisfy the RMD
For me,
QCD to my charities
A certain amount of $ to each of our 4 sons equally
Set aside some $ to pay estimated taxes
Last, but not least,
A 12 day cruise in a suite to Alaska leaving from LA NO airports
YMMV
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 02:17 PM   #13

Quote:

Yeah first world problems. Lol
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 02:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post

+1 After all, the subject line says "If you don't need it". I'm still too young, but would like to be in a position to do this when RMDs kick in. I would be interested in hearing others' experiences donating RMDs.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 02:20 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Makes me feel like I'm getting away with something - and it's entirely legal! Paying 12% tax instead of the 31% I would have paid had I not deferred always puts a smile on my face.
Right: Which leads me to wonder why so many financial advisors tell people to choose a roth or a traditional.

Most of the time tax brackets drop, and most states are much more tax friendly to 1099R income one w-2 income.
rothlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 02:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Yep, I can remember my grandmother complaining about having to start taking her RMDs. And, my Mom hits 70.5 this year, so she's starting to gripe about it, too.

I honestly don't see what the big deal is. Like others have said, that money went in tax-deferred, not tax exempt, and with the agreement that it would start getting pulled back out, eventually.

Even though I'm only 48, I had to start dealing with RMDs, because of two inherited IRAs I have. I'll admit, I was a bit disgruntled at first, but it had nothing to do with paying taxes. I just didn't feel like dealing with setting them up, in the first place! But, it was less hassle than I thought.
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 02:27 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Said another way, once you are in RMD territory all charitable contributions that you would otherwise make by writing a check should instead be made via QCD. This helps satisfy your RMD and keeps those dollars completely out of your taxable income. Anything that minimizes taxable income has at least the potential to reduce income taxes. & there is no downside to doing it.

Schwab gives us QCD checks that we can write to the charity. No other paperwork. I'm writing one this afternoon to the local public radio station. Just $90 but it all helps.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 02:37 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Said another way, once you are in RMD territory all charitable contributions that you would otherwise make by writing a check should instead be made via QCD. This helps satisfy your RMD and keeps those dollars completely out of your taxable income. Anything that minimizes taxable income has at least the potential to reduce income taxes. & there is no downside to doing it.

Schwab gives us QCD checks that we can write to the charity. No other paperwork. I'm writing one this afternoon to the local public radio station. Just $90 but it all helps.
Plus I assume that if one's itemized deductions were under the standard deduction, this is another way of receiving the effect of the charitable deduction instead of it being swallowed up.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:44 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Plus I assume that if one's itemized deductions were under the standard deduction, this is another way of receiving the effect of the charitable deduction instead of it being swallowed up.
Yes, I believe that's the case. I didn't want to try to enumerate what specific benefits might accrue because I am just not that much of a tax maven. But maybe the adjustments to medicare premiums would be affected too?
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:08 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
But it is much more pleasurable if the market's high versus low.

But it is what it is, and the penalty for not taking the withdrawal is enormous.

Thankfully I'm good for awhile, but the wife has to start taking the RMDs this year--but not too much $.
But if you don't need it, then you can simply repurchase the same low stocks in a taxable account. Then the price of the market does not matter.

If however you are going spend it, then yes, it's nicer when the market is UP.