Join Early Retirement Today

RMDs are they really something to worry about?
Old 08-20-2023, 01:08 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

RMDs are they really something to worry about?

Interesting videos just posted on YouTube? Seems RMDs aren't the scary tax hit they are made out to be? Is he missing something? He shows the math....seems traditional 401K may be good way to go and RMDS aren't that big of a deal. Your thoughts appreciated.

https://youtu.be/LBmsYM7RxqA?si=isyLB1fqSJ2RkCNj
2HOTinPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2023, 01:17 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

RMDs are overblown as a problem area.
$1M in tax-deferred is only $40k/year in RMD income, more or less.

But at some point in your working years, if it looks like you have plenty in tax-deferred, then put more in Roth accounts and after tax accounts.

In my case, I have three retirement income streams that contribute to my AGI: pension/annuity, SS, and RMD.
RMD is the smallest.

Actually, dividends and interest is the smallest, but I'm skipping that...
TheWizard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 01:38 PM   #3

Whether they are or not will depend on each person's situation.

The video makes the first of the Common misconceptions described there: comparing marginal tax rates vs. effective tax rates.

That will make traditional look better than it is. Still might be better than Roth - again, it depends... - but not that much better.
SevenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 01:46 PM   #4

Well, as in all things retirement, everybody is different. While not everybody has $65k in pension income, $60k in SS, $20k in rental income, $10k in divvies and interest, and $100k in RMDs, some do. Once you hit $250k, then NIIT come in. Not to mention Tier 1 and 2 IRMAA penalties, and a higher Medicare premium. No, the effective tax rate looks small, but the add-ons increase that stealthily.

So, if one can reduce that number prior to taking SS and RMD's, it's a legal way to arrange one's affairs efficiently. Sometimes, the 6 figures I convert, in less than the 6 figures in gains, but some of us are trying to do something.
Old 08-20-2023, 01:46 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We forecast out our RMDs before we started conversations and in our 80s it would have easily been six figures. It doesnít hurt much early in retirement, but can really bite you later on, especially if filing taxes as an individual. So we did some large conversions to get it under control to the point where anticipated charitable donations can be done with QCDs.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 01:51 PM   #6

^ that is my takeaway on RMD's too. DW has not much in deferred, but we will do what we can to convert to the top of the bracket, to help minimize tax for a surviving spouse.
There is no mitigating taxes from the pension income, but we will do what we can on the rest.
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 01:52 PM   #7

I like the video. I like the last example where 80 year old Sally who is single, is paying $9175 in Federal taxes with an RMD of $49505 (1 million IRA) and AGI of $80000. The Federal taxes are still less than 1% of the amount in the IRA.
Al18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 02:00 PM   #8

I think it's wise during your working years to think of money you put into tax-deferred accounts as DEFERRED INCOME, meaning that much of that money needs to come back out and be taxed as ordinary income.

If at some point your priorities start to shift and you're looking more at generational wealth, then shift over to using mostly Roth and taxable accounts...
Old 08-20-2023, 02:15 PM   #9

Also, you can start taking money out of tax deferred accounts at age 59-1/2, either as ordinary income or as Roth conversions.
Waiting until age 72+ when distributions from those accounts are REQUIRED is a mistake if you have a large balance...
Old 08-20-2023, 02:19 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

We are not overly worried about RMDs. We do not have that much in IRAs. $600k each respectively. DW is just 65 so 7 years to go for her at the current law, and I am 70 so 2 years for me. $600k x 4% is a mere $24k. I guess if we had $4m in deferred accounts it may be different. We do not take any withdrawals currently and at the current interest rates will not need to for the forseeable future.
Old 08-20-2023, 02:28 PM   #11

I just took a look. I have about $1.06M scattered between rollover IRAs and 401ks. I'm 53, and if I have my way I'm hoping to retire around my 55th birthday in April 2025. So, at this point I only have about a year and 8 months of additional contributions.

But, I believe I don't have to start taking RMDs until age 73, so that means they have another 18 years to compound. So, I guess it could amount to quite a handful by the time I have to start taking RMDs.

So, I've been thinking about doing some Roth conversions starting in 2025. Provided I do retire early enough in the year, that I don't have that big of an income for the year.
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 02:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
So, I've been thinking about doing some Roth conversions starting in 2025. Provided I do retire early enough in the year, that I don't have that big of an income for the year.
Probably a good plan, although if you go on an ACA health insurance plan the conversions may be too expensive to justify.
Old 08-20-2023, 02:35 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

+ I was getting "more than" 100% tax deferred matching while I was socking it away in my 401k all those years. If I contributed 5%, my company would contribute/match 6%. From my POV it was taxed deferred free money. I remember some of the younger folks working for me would ask when they became eligible to participate in the plan, if I thought the companies 401k was a good deal.
Old 08-20-2023, 02:37 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
We forecast out our RMDs before we started conversations and in our 80s it would have easily been six figures. It doesnít hurt much early in retirement, but can really bite you later on, especially if filing taxes as an individual. So we did some large conversions to get it under control to the point where anticipated charitable donations can be done with QCDs.

+1 My oldest sister is in her 80s and her RMD is growing fast..

In your mid 80s the divisor is like 16 or 17...

So, $1 mill div by 16 is $62,500.... at 72 it is about $36,500...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 02:41 PM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

Plus have to consider state taxes. In Illinois you avoid taxes when you contribute and you donít pay taxes when you withdraw. Save 4.95%.
Landolink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 05:04 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWizard View Post
RMDs are overblown as a problem area.
$1M in tax-deferred is only $40k/year in RMD income, more or less....
No! RMDs are not overblown at all.

Let's take an example of a married couple over 65yo with $20k of pension income and $50k of SS living in NY. Combined federal and state income tax is $123 or 0.23% of their income.

Now add your $40k of RMDs that are no problem. Combined federal and state tax is now $10,128 or 9.21% of their total income.

But the incremental tax on that $40k RMD is $10,005 or 25%... IMO a 25% incremental tax is a big deal, especially if it can be avoided.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 05:20 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
No! RMDs are not overblown at all.

Let's take an example of a married couple over 65yo with $20k of pension income and $50k of SS living in NY. Combined federal and state income tax is $123 or 0.23% of their income.

Now add your $40k of RMDs that are no problem. Combined federal and state tax is now $10,128 or 9.21% of their total income.

But the incremental tax on that $40k RMD is $10,005 or 25%... IMO a 25% incremental tax is a big deal, especially if it can be avoided.
+1. Add in Soc Sec and a lifetime ahead of dividends/STCG in taxable accounts and that additional $40K/yr pushes effective tax rates even higher! Like others have said, you have to actually do the math for your specific situation. RMDs may or may not be significant. The Roth conversions I’ve done are likely to save us about $400K in taxes over the next 29 years.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 05:44 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Is that all state tax? Federal and taxes are $0 using both the personal finance toolbox and IRS & State Tax Calculator. Appears the toolbox one applies a $20K pension subtraction so it gets $0 state tax also.

Quote:

Agreed with the general idea that it's the (change in tax)/(change in income), whether one calls that "incremental", "marginal", "effective marginal", or whatever, that matters.

Similar issue with the $10,128: both tools linked above get ~$7,980 for federal tax, but it appears the toolbox assumes (perhaps optimistically, perhaps realistically) that the couple each has at least $20K each in subtractable pension and/or IRA income, so it gets only $158 for NY state tax instead of the $2150 the IRSCalc one gets.
Old 08-20-2023, 05:59 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I used https://www.irscalculators.com/tax-calculator

I get $158/0.23% for $20k pension and $50k SS (possibly I mistyped it).... $0 federal and $158 state.

Adding in $40k RMD is $10,128 in tax: $7,978 federal and $2,150 state.

Bottom line, the incremental tax on RMDs is a big deal.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 06:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
+1 My oldest sister is in her 80s and her RMD is growing fast..

In your mid 80s the divisor is like 16 or 17...

So, $1 mill div by 16 is $62,500.... at 72 it is about $36,500...
The divisor is growing but the balance is often decreasing.
My RMD for 2023 is less than my RMD for 2022; how could that possibly be?