consumer spending slowdown, but it is gone now. I have noticed that the
P/E multiples have stayed high despite the worst bear market since the
Great Depression, so he may have a point about boomer demographics being
at least part of the driving trend behind the unprecedented P/E
multiples. His free web articles are an interesting follow up to his
book anyway.

Mike
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Roaring 2000s
Old 05-19-2003, 05:59 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

From a brief look at the Harry Dent's website, it appears to me that he is one of many people trying to sell their advice based on an alleged ability to predict the future performance of financial markets with a fairly high level of specificity. *In his case, he is making predictions all of the way to 2040!

Given enough such "experts" (or monkeys trained to draw lines on graphs) some are likely to "hit it right." *But really wise investors are the ones who recognize the impossibility of predicting the future with any degree of certainty, and "hedge" their "bets" by diversification into a variety of financial assets. (Alternatively -- if they are very risk-averse and willing to settle for a modest, assured real rate of return -- they now have the opportunity to invest in TIPs, which have only become available during the last 7 years or so.)
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 10:53 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

His book made an interesting case that the baby boom would keep the economy humming while they were in their prime spending years, and the economy would tank when they retired, as previous generations of retirees cut back on spending when they retired. When the economy tanks, the stock market will follow suite. To a degree, I can see this scenario playing out in Japan, whose baby boom is older and larger than ours. Still, there are differences between Japan and the US that may alter the outcome.

I agree that mere mortals such as ourselves cannot know the future with any degree of certainty. Diversification is good advice.

Mike
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote