Robo-investors?

early_retirement_or_bust

Dryer sheet aficionado
What do you guys think of the automated IRA investor sites such as Wealthfront and Betterment? Are those a horrible idea? Lately, I've been thinking about getting a Vanguard IRA and ditching the robo investor.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I was keen to learn about robotadvisors as well and interestingly reading this link https://investorjunkie.com/35919/robo-advisors/ when I saw your note and thought of responding. Keen to learn more and hear the advise from this forum about Vanguard personal advisor services in particular in addition to Betterment and others listed in this site. etc.. Thanks for your time.

I think Betterment is a pretty good option for those just starting their IRAs and don't have the $1K minimum to fund Vanguard STAR or Target Retirement (much less the $10+K minimums for Admiral shares). I've recommended my brother to start with Betterment and just rollover to Vanguard after a year (presumably, at $100/mo, he'll have at least $1K by then).

However, unless you're ok with putting all your investments with Betterment, I think using them for taxable accounts with tax loss harvesting is likely going to be a headache. It's going to be hard keeping track of cost basis particularly for fractional ETF shares.

I'd just wait and start a Vanguard or other brokerage account when you have the minimum.

I am dead set against paying a roboadvisor any money at all. One can simply invest in a Target Retirement, LifeStrategy, or other fund of index funds (e.g., Fidelity Freedom Index) and get all the benefits of roboadvisors without the hype and interference among one's different accounts (401(k), 403(b), spouse's accounts, etc.)

In other words: Why pay for something that you can get for free?

I am dead set against paying a roboadvisor any money at all. One can simply invest in a Target Retirement, LifeStrategy, or other fund of index funds (e.g., Fidelity Freedom Index) and get all the benefits of roboadvisors without the hype and interference among one's different accounts (401(k), 403(b), spouse's accounts, etc.)

Very true!

My 401(k) is a Fidelity Freedom Fund

Back
Top Bottom