Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-17-2017, 01:49 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One day this week a lady called me five times. Finally I asked her what benefit her program would give me and she couldn't answer and hung up
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2017, 02:31 PM   #22

My number is on the list and I applied in the lawsuit. I do remember getting the phone calls from the Cruise Company. I remember the ship's horn blowing. It used to happen quite frequently.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:36 PM   #23

They'll probably keep everyone up-to-date on the status of the lawsuit by robocalling every day or so.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:16 PM   #24

My full time job in retirement is answering robo calls from extended warranty companies. It sounds like its beginning to pay off.
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:24 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Looking again at the potential payout, I'm thinking the per call amount will likely be under $300, maybe way under. The attorneys get paid first, plus the expenses. Whatever is left over is divided by the number of valid claims/calls. With a cap of $12.5M I'd guess the attorneys will get about half, leaving roughly $6M for payout. If 500,000 valid claims come in - not unlikely - that would make the payout only $12.

Don't get your hopes up...
Bah. Median class action attorneys' fees for this type of settlement is 25% (see chart, page 839):

https://www.americanbar.org/content/...thcheckdam.pdf

Using your numbers, I'll see $18.75! That's more than 50% more than you estimated... We're talking a six pack, some hamburger buns AND some meat to BBQ!!!
T-Minus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:28 PM   #26

Thanks, I can't wait for my $900.
CRLLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:00 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, if I do get $300 it will top my previous "top class action lawsuit award" of $280. It from a mutual fund I had not owned for 10 years that apparently did something funky with their fees back then and got caught. It was a nice surprise out of the blue.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:13 AM   #28

$300 seems like a lot. Sure I dislike robo calls but $300 seems like over compensation to me.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:15 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
$300 seems like a lot. Sure I dislike robo calls but $300 seems like over compensation to me.
Don't worry, it won't end up anywhere near $300. The operative number is $12.5M, which is the max amount of the settlement fund.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:42 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

My 2 phone numbers were on the list and I do remember the calls, and I am suspecting that I will get enough for a 6 pack out of it, but hey, if this slows down other robocallers ....... won't hold my breath.

However, I did participate in a class action lawsuit, from a major insurance company a bunch of years ago and they paid me in company stock, which I never sold. It pays a 2.85% dividend now and the stock is valued at just under $4500.

Stranger things have happened.
canuck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:47 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

No $300 for me.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:46 AM   #32
Dryer sheet aficionado

A simple way for us to stop robo calls was to move our landline from ATT to Google. Paid a one time 40 fee. Google automatically blocks known spammers and has 2 methods for end user, spam folder and blocked call. Either one, your phone does not ring. We also route incoming calls via email rules to 3 phones and this makes it easy to immediately read who called and what they said. Best of all, this is all free, no monthly cost and we kept our 40 year old public landline number and freely give it out to anyone, including salesmen, getting bids for work, credit card applications, new bank account opening bonuses etc.... knowing how easy and simple it is to lop off the spammers. As a general simple rule for time management, we say that incoming calls are not answered but we will call back. Another bonus was that landline became a mobile phone with SMS text capability and nationwide free calling with Fax capability from any printer-fax machine.
xdafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:04 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Surely Rachel with cardholder services owes me some money.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:33 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Surely Rachel with cardholder services owes me some money.
Yeah, good luck with that one. I heard she lives in a gur in the Gobi Desert.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:03 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

We're not on the Cruise Call List. But 5 different Security Alarm companies call us every freakin' day......invariably at lunch time or dinner time. The most annoying thing is when you answer with a polite "Hello" there's a click to a person who picks up the phone at the other end. Their paper script is rustling in the background, and you can hear their feet come off the desk and hit the floor. They start their "read" in a breathless urgent voice.

I've started taking my DW's approach -- she's blasts a tone from the phone's keypad into the RoboCaller's Headset (the 9 key is particularly harsh) and hangs up on them. I like to hang on til I'm sure their ears have been blown out, and then shout "Oh, I'm sorry I hit the wrong button."

The question of the day is this -- How do I get our Phone Number on a REAL Do Not Call List so I can collect future Bonus Cash Awards ??
The last time I put our digits on the Do Not Call database....we received an avalanche of unwanted calls. It was like I stumbled onto the "Please Call at Mealtime List" by accident.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:04 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Here's a chance to get some revenge on one of those pesky robocallers via a class action lawsuit:

Cruise Class Action Lawsuit: How to See If You are Owed Money | Money

If you find your number qualifies (both our cell numbers were eligible) you can submit a claim online.
Got an email update today from settlement administrator:

The Court has authorized this supplemental e-mail Notice to inform consumers who have filed claims that, to date, over two million claims have been filed seeking to recover from a Settlement Fund expected to total $12.5 million.

Due to the large number of claims, the individual recovery per consumer will be a pro rata share of the Settlement Fund. The exact per consumer recovery is still unknown, but it is expected to amount to several dollars per Class Member.

After the lawyers get paid, maybe I'll get enough to buy a cheap lunch somewhere.
FIREd_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:11 PM   #37

I got the same email. I can't wait for my share.
CRLLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:01 AM   #38

I forgot about this and just added my name to the list. One of our 3 phone numbers was on the list, so thanks.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:52 AM   #39

I think it just might be enough for two lattes at Starbucks
Old 10-07-2017, 10:04 AM   #40

Just checked and both our home phone and cell phone are eligible. So maybe I'll get 4 lattes!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote