Rolled Over 401k Plan(s) in Ameritrade

tmohre

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi,

Long time ready maybe first time posting. Have a rookie question. So I’ve had a few jobs with 401k funds that have been rolled over into an IRA I have in Ameritrade. Been buying and selling a bit in there as I would in my old 401k’s. I noticed they called my last two sells as Short sales, only had them for 90-100 days. Question is I’m hoping this isn’t possibly taxable in this year, (seems like obviously not but gotta ask). And lastly since never leaving the fund and not really truly selling until taking a distribution these short sales as they call them aren’t taxed differently at the time of taking a distribution than if I held the funds long enough to become long term holdings? Again seems super obvious but just didn’t get why they had to use the short verbiage to describe the trade. I’m a bit of a worry wart.

Hi,

Long time ready maybe first time posting. Have a rookie question. So I’ve had a few jobs with 401k funds that have been rolled over into an IRA I have in Ameritrade. Been buying and selling a bit in there as I would in my old 401k’s. I noticed they called my last two sells as Short sales, only had them for 90-100 days. Question is I’m hoping this isn’t possibly taxable in this year, (seems like obviously not but gotta ask). And lastly since never leaving the fund and not really truly selling until taking a distribution these short sales as they call them aren’t taxed differently at the time of taking a distribution than if I held the funds long enough to become long term holdings? Again seems super obvious but just didn’t get why they had to use the short verbiage to describe the trade. I’m a bit of a worry wart.

If they’re in an IRA, they’re not taxed until withdrawn from the account and will then be taxed as ordinary income.

Back
Top Bottom