Rolling Over 401K Funds While Still Employed

younginvestor2013

Recycles dryer sheets
Hello,

Is it possible to roll over my Roth 401K retirement funds at my current company (while still employed there indefinitely into the future) to my own Vanguard retirement accounts?

Of course, I want to do this because I looked into the weighted average expense ratio for my Roth 401K funds, and it is around 1%. I believe the weighted average of my allocation in Vanguard ETFs is 0.15 bps :face palm: .

Just curious if this is possible at most companies. I assume it is not unless you leave the company because the company probably gets special perks/benefits by having larger retirement account balances, and they therefore don't want their employees moving their money.

Thanks.

Related question. What happens with employee's vested 401k if he/she changes status to a non-401k-eligible position (e.g. part-time) with same company? I haven't found an answer to that.

If the value of the account is more than five thousand dollars, then the change in status would only affect future contributions. For smaller accounts, the plan's own rules would prevail, so you'd have to check with them directly.

Back
Top Bottom