Join Early Retirement Today

Rolling over a 401k that includes after tax contributions
Old 03-02-2024, 11:12 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Rolling over a 401k that includes after tax contributions

I have a $3mm 401k that I will be rolling over to a Trad IRA in the coming months. I am over 59-1/2. Any Roth IRA that I have is only two or three years old.

My 401k has about $190K in after tax contributions. When I roll this over I can direct these after tax contributions either to my bank account or to a Roth IRA. I anticipate buying a house later this year and need access to this $190k cash.

My question is: When I do this rollover, if I put the $190k into a Roth account, can I withdraw it later in the year for the house purchase? Is there any five year limitation on this money? Or just any earnings?
Stwicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2024, 12:01 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My (fairly uninformed) impression is that you can only take pro-rata distributions (i.e. you have to take both after-tax and pre-tax distributions in proportion). But, I'm very curious to see if anyone have a different answer.
LateToFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 12:20 PM   #3

If the $190K is entirely made up of contributions, then it's still treated as contributions after the rollover. You can always take contributions out of a Roth tax free, even if the account isn't 5 years old. You'll pay income tax on the earnings if you take them out before reaching the 5 year mark, but no penalty because you're over 59 1/2.

You will track the withdrawals on Form 8606 when you file your tax return.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 12:21 PM   #4

Depending on how your 401 is handling the accounting you can direct the AT amount to a Roth and the rest to a Tira. I did this in 2013 with Fidelity. They managed our 401 and I did the whole thing in 20-30 minutes over the phone. The next year I had Vanguard pull both FIDO IRAs and then I consolidated them with existing ones eventually.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 12:21 PM   #5

After the money is in the IRAs, no pro-rata rules apply. I've never tried to withdraw from a Roth IRA soon after money's arrival from a 401k, but I can't think of any limitations on doing so.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 01:43 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmke View Post
Depending on how your 401 is handling the accounting you can direct the AT amount to a Roth and the rest to a Tira. I did this in 2013 with Fidelity. They managed our 401 and I did the whole thing in 20-30 minutes over the phone. The next year I had Vanguard pull both FIDO IRAs and then I consolidated them with existing ones eventually.
That was my situation. While most of my 401k was pre-tax, there was a small piece that was after-tax contributions where I over contributed in a particular year. The 401k cut me two checks... one for the pre-tax account balance payable to my tIRA brokerage FBO pb4uski that I mailed to the brokerage as a transfer and a check for the after-tax balance.

I cashed the second check, but later found out that I could have rolled it into a Roth. Luckily, it was small and helped with cash flow in the first year of retirement.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote