Rollover IRA balance over SIPC limits

tessaduncan

Recycles dryer sheets
DH has rollover IRA at VG that's exceeded the $500K limit by a fair amount. Can it be split somehow into 2 separate accounts so as to have full coverage? I have heard they have 'additional' insurance through Lloyds but I'm not clear on just what that is. Am I worried about nothing? I'd call Vanguard and ask but they won't talk to me since it's DH's.

I have multiple IRA accounts at the same brokerage, won't Vanguard do the same if you are worried ?

Undoubtedly would be willing to let you split the account, but that wouldn't give you additional SIPC protection. Both accounts are owned by the same legal entity.

DH and I (kids too) do have multiple IRA accounts at Vanguard - Roth, tIRA, inherited - but this particular account was a rollover of DH's 401k from a previous employer. I was wondering if it could be split at VG or could we transfer half to another brokerage? Should we even bother? Almost 90% of our assets are in Vanguard and while I like the ease of having everything in one place (should I get hit by a bus or something), my Daddy always said not to put all my eggs in one basket.

Well, now there's more over the limit if ALL IRAs (except Roth) for one person are rolled together. I just assumed they were all separate. Thank you 2017ish for that info.

DH and I (kids too) do have multiple IRA accounts at Vanguard - Roth, tIRA, inherited - but this particular account was a rollover of DH's 401k from a previous employer. I was wondering if it could be split at VG or could we transfer half to another brokerage? Should we even bother? Almost 90% of our assets are in Vanguard and while I like the ease of having everything in one place (should I get hit by a bus or something), my Daddy always said not to put all my eggs in one basket.

You can transfer to another brokerage and they will pay you to do so. I just did this for myself and DW, so we each got $600 + 2 months of free trades (which will be nice to re-adjust some holdings).

https://www.tdameritrade.com/specialoffer.page

Just open the account, it's pretty simple, and you can phone them to get help if needed, fill out the paperwork, and transfer whatever out of Vanguard you want.

Back
Top Bottom