Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-18-2017, 10:37 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
So does it matter if you transfer all the contents of the over 5 yr ROTH, to a new brokerage (opening a new ROTH) , which of course closes the original ROTH ?

Meaning does the 5 year clock start over ?
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2017, 06:53 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
So does it matter if you transfer all the contents of the over 5 yr ROTH, to a new brokerage (opening a new ROTH) , which of course closes the original ROTH ?

Meaning does the 5 year clock start over ?
what do you think? from the table:
OVER AGE 59.5
LESS THAN FIVE YEARS SINCE OPENING FIRST ROTH IRA
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:24 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

My plan was to withdraw $50k in 2020 (the year I'm starting SS) from my IRA. So I thought I would convert $25k in 2018 to a Roth and convert $25k in 2019, then withdraw the $50k from the Roth in 2020 instead of the IRA. This would save me a few bucks in taxes.
jkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:05 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkern View Post
My plan was to withdraw $50k in 2020 (the year I'm starting SS) from my IRA. So I thought I would convert $25k in 2018 to a Roth and convert $25k in 2019, then withdraw the $50k from the Roth in 2020 instead of the IRA. This would save me a few bucks in taxes.
Have you calculated how much you will save? The problem is that when you convert, you will be paying taxes early which reduces your future earnings. It is true that earnings in the Roth aren't taxed (subject to conditions) but the reduced earnings from paying the tax early may compensate w/ the net result being a wash.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:07 AM   #25

I attempted to put the fairmark information into a more readable form. How did I do?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rothconverttable.jpg (49.7 KB, 39 views)
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:18 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I attempted to put the fairmark information into a more readable form. How did I do?
Did great, clearly the best tax advantage is to wait until 59.5 to withdraw anything, having established the Roth 5 years prior.

However, since there is the strech-IRA, I personally would touch Roth IRA last if I plan to leave money to heirs, unless you have a lot in Roth and withdrawing just a little might prevent the loss of an ACA subsidy.

Rule 1: never take money from roth
Rule 2: especially before 59.5
Rule 3: and only after 5years of initial Roth funding
Rule 4: unless you have large roth and need aca subsidy advantage, or don't have heirs

Old 07-19-2017, 09:20 AM   #27

Quote:
I didn't doublecheck the details but I love it......particular the color coding which shows the same results in the same color. Nice! The color scheme might make it easier to remember the details (if you can remember the color scheme)
Old 07-19-2017, 10:16 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
Did great, clearly the best tax advantage is to wait until 59.5 to withdraw anything, having established the Roth 5 years prior.

However, since there is the strech-IRA, I personally would touch Roth IRA last if I plan to leave money to heirs, unless you have a lot in Roth and withdrawing just a little might prevent the loss of an ACA subsidy.

Rule 1: never take money from roth
Rule 2: especially before 59.5
Rule 3: and only after 5years of initial Roth funding
Rule 4: unless you have large roth and need aca subsidy advantage, or don't have heirs

What about taking from a Roth vs. selling equities with a large gain? If left untouched, those equities would get a step up in basis for your heirs. Not sure how to do the math on that. The stretch Roth would keep the funds in a tax advantaged account for the heir (slowly dwindling down with MRDs starting right away, I believe), but if you sell the equities to save the Roth you have to pay tax on the sale, and therefore have to sell more--leaving less for the heirs.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:17 PM   #29
Dryer sheet wannabe

Kind of a goofy website name, but I found the analyses of the tax implications interesting and understandable in the example.

Reader Financial Review: Scared to Death of Early Retirement - Go Curry Cracker!
Ragna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:35 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
Have you calculated how much you will save? The problem is that when you convert, you will be paying taxes early which reduces your future earnings. It is true that earnings in the Roth aren't taxed (subject to conditions) but the reduced earnings from paying the tax early may compensate w/ the net result being a wash.

Yes, it saves me $2500 in taxes. I'm paying the taxes from a cash account that will only earn 1% per year over the next two years.
jkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:49 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You did great.... mods, can we get that chart Sticky-ed?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:53 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
what do you think? from the table:
OVER AGE 59.5
LESS THAN FIVE YEARS SINCE OPENING FIRST ROTH IRA
So I guess you have to keep a piece of paperwork from the first opened and closed ROTH to proof you had one.

Until the current ROTH is 5 yrs old, then just keep paper from it.

Rinse and Repeat....
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:27 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
So I guess you have to keep a piece of paperwork from the first opened and closed ROTH to proof you had one.

Until the current ROTH is 5 yrs old, then just keep paper from it.

Rinse and Repeat....
Yup, you got it. This is the easy part if you are over 59.5, you only have to worry about the oldest 5 yr Roth. For the young whippersnappers, you have to worry about the contribution, conversions....dates and amounts, whether any amounts were recharacterized, and whether any prior withdrawals were made. You can be very surprised if you didn't keep such info,