Join Early Retirement Today

Roth Contribution Advice
Old 08-07-2008, 05:56 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Roth Contribution Advice

I have a question, probably a stupid question to which I think i already know the answer:

I am able to max out my 401K and contribute another $2,000/Mo to savings. I make a bit too much to contribute to a traditional IRA. We already have good sized regular savings/investment accounts and we have both been putting $2K a year in a Roth for several years.

Would we be better off to fully fund the Roth at $6000/yr/each or put the money in a regular investment account? I'm 55 and may work another 3 years. Seems like increasing the Roth to the max is a better choice as there will be no taxes to pay on the income or distributions in retirement. Am I missing something?

Wish I'd have thought of this earlier. Thanks in advance
Randy
10at6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2008, 06:00 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would max out the Roth if you are capable of doing so (assuming you have captured the 401k match).

If retirement is about 5 years away, have you thought about your tax rate now vs tax rate then? If you are in a high tax bracket now, maxing the 401k should take priority over the Roth.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:29 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10at6 View Post
I am able to max out my 401K and contribute another $2,000/Mo to savings. I make a bit too much to contribute to a traditional IRA. We already have good sized regular savings/investment accounts and we have both been putting $2K a year in a Roth for several years.

Would we be better off to fully fund the Roth at $6000/yr/each or put the money in a regular investment account? I'm 55 and may work another 3 years. Seems like increasing the Roth to the max is a better choice as there will be no taxes to pay on the income or distributions in retirement. Am I missing something?

Wish I'd have thought of this earlier. Thanks in advance
Randy
I was in the same position a few years back. You already have your answer. When you are retired, this small amount of "tax-free" money will be much appreciated by you. If you happen to be married you can also put 6K into your spouse's account as well. I also wish I had done it earlier but it is never too late to start. Just do it. You'll be glad you did later.
dessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:20 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I believe you've got it backwards. There's no limit on contributing to a traditional IRA, but there is to a Roth.

https://www1.evergreeninvestments.co...RA_Eligibility
Art G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:22 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For deductibility, the OP is correct, Art.

To the question, I would personally fund the Roths for you and spouse to the max instead of taxable savings.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:47 AM   #6

The ability to tax-deduct your IRA contributions, as Sarah in SC points out, dose get phased out though, and if you are married filing jointly, then it is very easy to be able to contribute to a Roth and lose tax benefits from a traditional IRA.
CitricAcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:46 PM   #7

10at6, of course the Roth contributions are fed with "after tax" money so yes you want to fully fund your 401K before contributing to the Roth. We can only contribute the "maximum amount" as deductible so any further savings would be beneficial in a Roth because of the future income that will be tax-free.
Have you ever looked out at your back yard and thought that you could be eating fresh fruit off your fruit trees...... if only you had planted them a few years back?
dessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:18 PM   #8
Confused about dryer sheets

Both the wife and I have been contributing around 2K/year for about 8-9 years. At the same time we were able to max out my 401k including the catchup limit and put a few thousand a year in conventional savings. With retirement approaching and after I got hammered on dividend/CGains last year I started thinking we would have been better off to put more in Roth's in the past. I would have avoided current taxes and had more tax free income at retirement. All is not lost, we should have around $125K at age 58 to work with and that will help to keep taxes down.

Something to think about though!
Thanks for the responses
10at6 is offline   Reply With Quote