Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-27-2019, 03:28 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Tax cuts expire 12-31-2025.
https://taxfoundation.org/look-ahead...ax-provisions/
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2019, 04:15 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

And nobody has to go on record to "vote for a tax increase." They can just let the tax cuts expire without action, right?
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 04:23 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
No, because all the extra is taxed at 24%. If you increase the amount to 210,000 in the calculator above the tax jumps to $33,357. In other words that $90k extra increases the tax by ~$20k
It may be a rare case, but converting now at 24% to avoid converting (or RMDs) later at 32% or more could be a thing.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 06:56 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
But what happens if one of you dies and the survivor files single instead of married filing jointly?

I decided to prioritize Roth conversions over ACA subsidies, but ours was a unique situation where the savings from subsidies was not all that great and the tax savings were much better.
After seeing my Mom's tax rate go up, I'm opting to move now. I have to keep repeating the mantra (so I'll truly adapt) "the enemy of a good plan is a perfect plan." I ran numerous scenarios and finally just did it, knowing I did my best and nothing is truly perfect.

I just pulled the trigger and wrote the second largest check in my life by choosing to convert 1/2 of the tIRA which put us at the top of the 24% bracket and needing to repay 7 months of ACA subsidy.

Future years will be 12 months of ACA and we'll convert to the top of the tax free and ACA eligible zone, around $83,000 for we three (which is basically taxing us marginally at 9.8% for the ACA subsidy and "medicaid" for the minor).

If we have to do anything else taxable (preventing a future conversion such as deciding to take capital gains to rebalance in the taxable account) and there's money left in the tIRA by the time RMDs hit, I plan to withdraw them all for QCDs unless truly necessary to live off them.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:44 AM   #25
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
It may be a rare case, but converting now at 24% to avoid converting (or RMDs) later at 32% or more could be a thing.
I and DW have been converting in the 24% band for the last few years. This is because we will move up a band from 20% to 40% in the UK with RMDs. Fortunately the tax treaty allows Roth conversions to be taxed only in the USA whereas IRA distributions are taxed in the UK. I am now 100% Roth and DW has about 3 years of conversions ahead of her.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:42 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I and DW have been converting in the 24% band for the last few years. This is because we will move up a band from 20% to 40% in the UK with RMDs. Fortunately the tax treaty allows Roth conversions to be taxed only in the USA whereas IRA distributions are taxed in the UK. I am now 100% Roth and DW has about 3 years of conversions ahead of her.
I know this is a very personal decision. I am also a dual citizen but my home country does not tax me anything.

We have SS and RMD as income and not much else, so the slope of change for tax is gradual, after we start both. The wild card is the return on investment.

If we leave too much in, they could grow to larger amount. So we pay more tax by then, do we really lose out?

If I do a good chunk of Roth conversion paying taxes and losing ACA subsidy, we will lose the opportunity for larger gain, do we really gain much in the end?

My head hurts.
fh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 08:56 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
Exactly. I gave up trying to move things around; especially now after the SECURE provisions are now in place. We're gonna pay 22% now, and/or 24% after one of us croaks. I am grateful to have the problem, but feel helpless that I can't engineer myself out of the situation.
Ditto. And that there's no clear answer! Drives me nuts.
googily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 09:48 AM   #28
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fh2000 View Post
I know this is a very personal decision. I am also a dual citizen but my home country does not tax me anything.

We have SS and RMD as income and not much else, so the slope of change for tax is gradual, after we start both. The wild card is the return on investment.

If we leave too much in, they could grow to larger amount. So we pay more tax by then, do we really lose out?

If I do a good chunk of Roth conversion paying taxes and losing ACA subsidy, we will lose the opportunity for larger gain, do we really gain much in the end?

My head hurts.
Where do you live? Sounds like you live in the USA if you are buying HI with ACA subsidies.

When I lived in the USA the UK did not tax me anything, even on my UK pensions, but the USA did. Now that I live in the UK the USA still taxes me on everything including my UK pensions, it is almost the only country in the world that taxes its citizens no matter where they actually live or where their income comes from, even if they were born outside the USA and have never lived there.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:06 PM   #29
Dryer sheet aficionado

So if you are taking $120,000 out of your 401k and have no other income such as dividends or social security.

Your federal tax rate would as follows:

Income = $120,000
Standard Deduction for married filing jointly = $-24,500

Taxable Income = $95,500
2019 Fed Tax = $15,055

Net Income = $80,445

Tax Rate = 15.76%

If you have excel I can send you a spreadsheet that calculates this.

Ron
rrs26ja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 05:18 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
And nobody has to go on record to "vote for a tax increase." They can just let the tax cuts expire without action, right?
That’s why I’m converting and why I think the rates will go back to their previous levels. If congress needed to go on record with a vote, it may make me feel different. But if all they have to do is let it expire, I think there’s a good chance that will happen.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:34 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
That’s why I’m converting and why I think the rates will go back to their previous levels. If congress needed to go on record with a vote, it may make me feel different. But if all they have to do is let it expire, I think there’s a good chance that will happen.

Can you provide a link to what the tax rates and brackets were at the previous levels? I’m not sure where to access this information. Thank you.
whatnot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 05:42 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnot View Post
Can you provide a link to what the tax rates and brackets were at the previous levels? I’m not sure where to access this information. Thank you.
https://www.kdpllp.com/2017-vs-2018-...-tax-brackets/

2018 column are current.... 2017 were former. Tax rates will revert to 2017 percentages in 2026 if Congress doesn't act to make the low rates permanent.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 07:14 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

2018 column are current.... 2017 were former. Tax rates will revert to 2017 percentages in 2026 if Congress doesn't act to make the low rates permanent.

Thank you.
whatnot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 07:15 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Look not only your tax bracket but also how it will affect Medicare premiums. If you are single, anything over 87K modified AGI will cause an increase and anything over 109K will cause even more - and that is an increase for both B and D!
The Modified AGI amounts are double for married couples but I think couples should plan their Modified AGI for the time that one of them dies. The last thing someone would want to leave their spouse is higher expenses because of their decisions.
imnontrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 07:20 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnontrad View Post
Look not only your tax bracket but also how it will affect Medicare premiums. If you are single, anything over 87K modified AGI will cause an increase and anything over 109K will cause even more - and that is an increase for both B and D!
The Modified AGI amounts are double for married couples but I think couples should plan their Modified AGI for the time that one of them dies. The last thing someone would want to leave their spouse is higher expenses because of their decisions.
But IRMAA isn't all that bad, at least in the first tier... $57.80/month in 2020... so $1,387.20 for a married couple... often a proverbial nit with respect to the tax savings for early retirees.

Old 01-03-2020, 08:03 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I don’t see how “we” can keep this up indefinitely, but I’ve been wrong many times before...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:10 PM   #37
Dryer sheet aficionado

Simple. Taxes don't fund spending. Congretional appropriations do.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:26 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Are we typically paying the tax on these roth conversions from outside money or are we withholding from the conversion? I didn't start conversions till my first RMD. I withheld enough from the RMD to cover the tax on the conversion. Theoretically I could have started conversions sooner but there was not extra cash on hand to pay the tax.
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:05 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

While it is slightly preferable to use taxable funds to pay the tax if you have it, since Roth conversions are really a tax arbitrage play, it is benefal en if the taxes are paid from the tIRA (assumes you are over 59 1/2).

Old 01-04-2020, 08:13 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
Are we typically paying the tax on these roth conversions from outside money or are we withholding from the conversion? I didn't start conversions till my first RMD. I withheld enough from the RMD to cover the tax on the conversion. Theoretically I could have started conversions sooner but there was not extra cash on hand to pay the tax.
Better to use outside money if you can because you are moving the full amount to the tax free Roth.

Are conversions really advantageous at RMD age? You know you can't convert the RMD portion, only anything over that, right? You can pay taxes from the RMD part though, just do it as a separate step. It seems to me your tax rate is probably as high now as it will be in the future, though it's not unreasonable to believe taxes might increase in the future.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote