Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-13-2022, 07:56 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Wow. I got Pralana Gold and it is amazing. It basically confirmed my intuitive conclusion that the pay not or pay later washes out. If you live a few years the end results are almost identical including total estate and total taxes paid. The difference is the mix between tax differed, taxable, and Roths.

I plan to run a lot more simulations with this and then talk to both a CPA and a fee only FA to discuss whether there are gotchas I am missing. But big conversion(s) near-term are probably in our future.

Thanks for the recommendation.
Roth gives your heirs another decade of tax-free growth...
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2022, 08:49 AM   #22

question for you Roth Conversion experts...when converting to the top of the tax bracket do you use effective tax rate % or tax bracket % to decide whether or not to do?

For instance, I am in 35% tax bracket but after deductions, donations, etc my effective tax rate is closer to 16%. So, would I convert up to the top of the 22% bracket or up to top of 35% bracket?
Old 02-13-2022, 09:05 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
question for you Roth Conversion experts...when converting to the top of the tax bracket do you use effective tax rate % or tax bracket % to decide whether or not to do?

For instance, I am in 35% tax bracket but after deductions, donations, etc my effective tax rate is closer to 16%. So, would I convert up to the top of the 22% bracket or up to top of 35% bracket?

For roth conversions, you don't use effective rate, its marginal rate that matters. That's why for most people t401k are better because you start top down at peak earnings years while working for the deduction and bottom up in retirement. If you are in the marginal 22% rate, could be worth doing a bit. But if you are in the marginal 35% fed rate, I would not convert anything.
Magus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 09:27 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus View Post
For roth conversions, you don't use effective rate, its marginal rate that matters. That's why for most people t401k are better because you start top down at peak earnings years while working for the deduction and bottom up in retirement. If you are in the marginal 22% rate, could be worth doing a bit. But if you are in the marginal 35% fed rate, I would not convert anything.
Not sure I totally understand your comment.

In essence, when you put away income in a traditional pre-tax account and take the deduction now, you are saving at the marginal tax rate. If you are in the 35% tax bracket, you save paying 35 cents for every dollar you defer.

Later, when withdrawing funds, you pay taxes at your effective tax rate which in my case is half of my marginal rate.
Old 02-13-2022, 09:57 AM   #25

Quote:

In essence, when you put away income in a traditional pre-tax account and take the deduction now, you are saving at the marginal tax rate. If you are in the 35% tax bracket, you save paying 35 cents for every dollar you defer.

Later, when withdrawing funds, you pay taxes at your effective tax rate which in my case is half of my marginal rate.
Your argument may hold water for the FIRST time you make a contribution, but, if you have successfuly saved for retirement, it becomes irrelevant. By then, your bottom brackets will be filled no matter what, so the future effective rate isn't the one to focus on.

See: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Trad...misconceptions
Old 02-13-2022, 10:00 AM   #26

Quote:

It’s really marginal both ways but when you are working the money you are deducting is at the top if the brackets while making money in retirement it’s generally starting from the bottom of the brackets (0% rate for $26k for married for example). If you have no pension or no significant non retirement assets your approach works but if you have other income you can’t just use effective rate in retirement.

In general, over 95% of folks have a lower effective rate in retirement than while working so Roths are way overrated but there are times they work (inherit a ton, investments did phenomenally well beyond market, pension that’s over half your base income). Most people also forget to adjust tax brackets and std deduction in retirement for inflation and massively overestimate what they will owe.

I should note you’d need about $300k in retirement income (married couple) right now to have a 16% effective fed tax rate in retirement - and thats assuming its not LT Capital gains income. Very few people have that income period, much less retirement. Even if you are modeling $300k in say 20 years, keep in mind with inflation you’ll be about the equiv of $180k income today and closer to 10-11% effective rate.
Magus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 10:21 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Figure out your tax, in dollars. Now add $100 of income, from a conversion or tIRA withdrawal. Figure out your tax with that extra $100. The difference between the two is your marginal rate. It is not only the tax bracket you're in, but it may include pushing another $100 of cap gains or $85 of SS to be taxed. It may also include the loss of 8.5% of ACA subsidy, or a new IRMAA tier.

This is what matters, the impact of that extra $100 or however much you want to convert now or withdraw later, not the overall rate you had.

A simple example. Suppose you have low enough income or high enough deductions to owe $0 in taxes. That doesn't mean that no matter how much more income you add you will still owe $0 in taxes. As you incrementally add income to the equation, you will see where you start incurring taxes.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 10:32 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Not an expert but I've read a fair amount and thought a fair amount.

I look at marginal rate now vs. marginal rate at age 75 to decide how much to convert.

Basically I am considering two scenarios:

1. Income of $X + $1 this year and income of $Y at age 75.
2. Income of $X this year and income of $Y + $1 at age 75.

For me, it looks like that additional dollar at age 75 will cost me about 33 cents in taxes. So if I can convert it today at less than that, I do; if not, I don't. And for that analysis, it's the marginal tax rate on that dollar both now and later that matters.

But once I make the decision to convert an additional dollar, I can repeat the analysis with another dollar. And another. I keep converting dollars until I hit a dollar that would cost me 34 cents or more to convert, and that's where I stop.

There can be so-called "tax humps" where some dollars might need to be converted at, say, 50 cents of tax cost, but past those dollars there can be more dollars converted at, say, 22 cents of tax cost. In this case, one can make an aggregate decision based on the height and width of the tax hump as well as the width of the "tax valley" beyond to see if it makes sense to convert a collection of dollars. In my tax situation I don't think I have any or will have any, but they definitely exist for some people and it's in my tax notes to consider the possibility.

(There are other factors other than the tax arbitrage of course.)
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 11:01 AM   #29
Administrator

I have never found effective tax rate to be a particularly useful number. Like RunningBum, I am interested in the marginal effect that a particular action has on my total tax burden. I am beyond 0% capital gains territory, already have 85% of my social security taxed, don't get an ACA subsidy and will be reimbursed for any IRMAA surcharges charges if I ever incur them, so for me, it's pretty much only my marginal rate that matters. If I convert now, my marginal taxes are at 22% of the conversion. I never contributed any of the money in my tIRA at a marginal rate less than 24%, so I'm money ahead no matter what.

But the real question is whether I convert now and pay the tax at 22% or don't convert and potentially pay 24% or higher later when I hit RMDs. My own spreadsheet shows that if all the tax brackets stay as current and inflation adjust together, then the RMDs will never drive us into the 24% bracket (although we will hit NIIT eventually because it has no inflation provision) even if I convert nothing between now and then. It also tells me that in the likely event the young wife survives me, she will be in the 24% bracket even if I convert all the way up to the top of the 22% bracket every year between now and RMDs, but she will never get to the 32% bracket even if I do not convert a thing.

In light of that, I will Roth convert now only if and when I need funds from my tIRA (unlikely) and, later, just take QCDs and RMDs and pay the taxes then. Of course, our investment returns could be much greater than I assumed in my spreadsheet (4% real) and that could drive us into higher brackets later, but that would be a good problem to have and I won't mind sharing a little more of the wealth with Uncle Sam if it occurs.
Old 02-13-2022, 11:11 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Roth gives your heirs another decade of tax-free growth...
And then a big-a$$ tax bill in that 10th year all else being equal. See post#38

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 11:11 AM   #31

Thanks for the insight folks. Very helpful! While I'm still collecting consulting income and have significant dividends, pension, etc I guess I will forego the Roth conversions. When consulting retainer ends maybe I will reconsider.
Old 02-13-2022, 11:16 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Gumby, any thoughts about the sunset provision on the lower tax brackets? 22%/24% will revert back to 25%/28% in 2026 unless congress takes action. That would be a tiebreaker for me to convert if it looks like a wash keeping the current tax rates. Not a significant effect, but it may be something.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 11:32 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
And then a big-a$$ tax bill in that 10th year all else being equal.
Please explain. I was under the impression that all (non-spousal) inherited Roth withdrawals are tax free. Is that not true? I also think they must be withdrawn totally within that 10-year period. If not, there are penalized at a very high rate, right?

Any interest earned on monies invested from a withdrawal are taxed but not the principal. I'd like to know if I am off base.
CRLLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 11:56 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
Please explain. I was under the impression that all (non-spousal) inherited Roth withdrawals are tax free. Is that not true? I also think they must be withdrawn totally within that 10-year period. If not, there are penalized at a very high rate, right?

Any interest earned on monies invested from a withdrawal are taxed but not the principal. I'd like to know if I am off base.
I think @pb4uski missed the fact that it's a Roth.

Yes, in general Roth IRAs also follow the 10 year SECURE distribution period rules.

In general, all the distributions (both principal and earnings) from the Roth are going to be tax free. There may be exceptions if the original owner established the Roth within the five years prior to death.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 12:02 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post

Yes, in general Roth IRAs also follow the 10 year SECURE distribution period rules.

In general, all the distributions (both principal and earnings) from the Roth are going to be tax free. There may be exceptions if the original owner established the Roth within the five years prior to death.
That was my thought. I wanted to make sure that either I wasn't missing something or 2) others didn't take his statement to heart. Let's see what he says.
CRLLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 12:19 PM   #36
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Gumby, any thoughts about the sunset provision on the lower tax brackets? 22%/24% will revert back to 25%/28% in 2026 unless congress takes action. That would be a tiebreaker for me to convert if it looks like a wash keeping the current tax rates. Not a significant effect, but it may be something.
If the brackets stay the same and continue to inflation adjust the same, but the rate just increases, we would stay in the 25% bracket though RMDs and the young wife would be in the 28% bracket after I go. The only benefit would be the ability to take money at 22% for next 4 years (tax years 2022-25) instead of 25% or 28%. Currently, the 22% bracket runs from $83,550 to $178,150 (MFJ). Assume I can use the entire $94,600 for Roth conversion, then I save $2838 in taxes by taking that money this year instead of later. Or about $12k over those 4 tax years until the rate goes up in 2026. In the grand scheme of things, that's nothing to write home about. And it will eat up about $84,000 in my after tax cash to pay the taxes on those conversions (Roth conversions are substantially less beneficial if you have to use part of the tIRA withdrawal to pay the taxes.)
Old 02-13-2022, 12:25 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

What your marginal tax rate/tax savings were when you deferred that income is interesting but not relevant because it is a sunk decision... nothing that you can do about it now.

So now, the more relevant things are the cost of doing a Roth conversion now vs the cost of an RMD later. When RMD time comes along and you have income from taxable savings, pensions, SS, etc, what do you expect your marginal tax rate to be (before considering the RMD)? Add in your RMD and compare the increase in tax to the RMD and that is your tax rate on the RMD. In our case, without the RMD we'll be near the top of the 12% bracket so some of the RMD will be at 12% but most of it will be at 22% and it will average out to about 17%.

The cost of a Roth conversion now is the incremental tax paid and any IRMAA costs, etc.
In our case because I haven't yet begun SS our taxes absent a Roth conversion would be nil. The cost of Roth conversions to the top of the 12% tax bracket is about 11.5%... a blend of the 10% and 12% tax brackets.

So I figure that I'm saving about 5.5% compared to what I will pay later and that is conservative, because if the RMDs happen after one of us dies or is inherited by my kids the tax rate on the RMDs is likely to be much higher than 17%. And then there is always the prospect of higher tax rates in the future.

Old 02-13-2022, 12:27 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
That was my thought. I wanted to make sure that either I wasn't missing something or 2) others didn't take his statement to heart. Let's see what he says.
Yes, you are correct... I didn't realize that the IRA being referred to was a Roth and thought it was a traditional IRA with no tax basis.

Old 02-13-2022, 12:35 PM   #39
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
What your marginal tax rate/tax savings were when you deferred that income is interesting but not relevant because it is a sunk decision... nothing that you can do about it now.

So now, the more relevant things are the cost of doing a Roth conversion now vs the cost of an RMD later. When RMD time comes along and you have income from taxable savings, pensions, SS, etc, what do you expect your marginal tax rate to be (before considering the RMD)? Add in your RMD and compare the increase in tax to the RMD and that is your tax rate on the RMD. In our case, without the RMD we'll be near the top of the 12% bracket so some of the RMD will be at 12% but most of it will be at 22% and it will average out to about 17%.

The cost of a Roth conversion now is the incremental tax paid and any IRMAA costs, etc.
In our case because I haven't yet begun SS our taxes absent a Roth conversion would be nil. The cost of Roth conversions to the top of the 12% tax bracket is about 11.5%... a blend of the 10% and 12% tax brackets.

So I figure that I'm saving about 5.5% compared to what I will pay later and that is conservative, because if the RMDs happen after one of us dies or is inherited by my kids the tax rate on the RMDs is likely to be much higher than 17%. And then there is always the prospect of higher tax rates in the future.
Conversion to the top of the 12% bracket should be a no-brainer for everyone. Sadly, I'm already there without a conversion. (I guess it's not that sad, since it means we have decent income.)
Old 02-13-2022, 12:40 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Wow. I got Pralana Gold and it is amazing. It basically confirmed my intuitive conclusion that the pay not or pay later washes out. If you live a few years the end results are almost identical including total estate and total taxes paid. The difference is the mix between tax differed, taxable, and Roths.

I plan to run a lot more simulations with this and then talk to both a CPA and a fee only FA to discuss whether there are gotchas I am missing. But big conversion(s) near-term are probably in our future.

Thanks for the recommendation.
You may be looking at "absolute" dollars, meaning treating a $ in tax deferred as equal to a $ in Roth or taxable. That's not usually a good way to value tax deferred. There is an option the Roth conversion page, under the graph to switch to "effective" $ where it applies a tax rate you input to tax deferred. You input that "effective" $ conversion on the Financial Assets - Management page and a typical value would be what you expect your heirs to pay on the conversion of the inherited IRA.

Once you switch to "effective" $ on the Roth page, all the outputs, including the tabular ones, switch to "effective" $.
Exchme is offline   Reply With Quote