Join Early Retirement Today

Roth Conversion from 401k while still working?
Old 08-02-2011, 06:02 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Roth Conversion from 401k while still working?

Hi,

I was wondering if I can start converting portions of my solo 401k (at fidelity) to my roth ira (at fidelity) while I'm still self-employed and actively contributing to my 401k? Or do I have to wait until I'm no longer self-employed, roll over the solo 401k to a traditional IRA (or another 401k with another company) and then start doing systematic conversions to my Roth IRA at that point (up to the 0% or 15% tax rate)?

Thanks,

why1942
why1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm not up on self-employed rules, so I cannot comment on your question. Depending on the answers, some fall-back options could include a Roth 401K for new money? Or a Roth IRA started to get the clock ticking?
devans0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks
Old 08-02-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by devans0 View Post
I'm not up on self-employed rules, so I cannot comment on your question. Depending on the answers, some fall-back options could include a Roth 401K for new money? Or a Roth IRA started to get the clock ticking?
I already have a Roth IRA and plan to put as much into it as I can this year after I max out on my 401k. There is no match on the 401k, but I asked the question because I like the idea of all my retirement money being tax free. I chose to set up a solo 401k because I can put away $16500 a year instead of the tiny $5000 in a Roth IRA. Since I only make about $20k per year, and $16.5k goes into the 401k, I thought maybe I could do some small conversions from the 401k to the Roth IRA, filling up the 0% tax rate each year while I'm working and thus not paying taxes on that deferred money at all. I doubt that is this an option, but I figured I would ask.

Thanks for the comment..
why1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:12 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

why1942

I usually go here Guide to Roth IRA, 401k and 403b Retirement Accounts when I need Roth info. It's a fair amount to wade through (so I'll let you do that) but I'm betting the answer is in here.

Good luck!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:15 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Looks like I'll be calling my plan admin to ask about about single distributions to owner and two rollovers. (#3) This is a useful link, thanks Koolau.

I wonder what happens to the tax basis if there is a loss in a downturn? There is the risk of being out of the market on a rebound and a reward of rollover to a tax free Roth future at reduced costs.
devans0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:18 AM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by devans0 View Post
I wonder what happens to the tax basis if there is a loss in a downturn? There is the risk of being out of the market on a rebound and a reward of rollover to a tax free Roth future at reduced costs.
Not quite sure what the question is so I'll just say what happened in my situation.

I did a rollover from a 401k to an IRA. There was a very small tax basis in the 401k as almost all the money had been contributed pre-tax. On the day of the distribution my 401k provider issued a check equal to the last valuation of the investments. That check was sent to me via UPS and same day I sent it via UPS to VG. Lost a couple of days of market movements but the money in the new IRA had exactly the same cost basis as it had in the 401k.

i.e. in 1991 when I joined the company they had an after-tax savings plan and in that year I contributed ~$1,000 after tax money. The company converted the savings plan into a 401k at the end of 1991. No matter how much the market has risen and fallen that $1,000 cost basis didn't change and when it rolled over to an IRA, the accompanying 1099-R to myself and VG showed a cost basis of $1,000.

I hope this helps. This was a total rollover, I expect partials will include the appropriate fraction of the cost basis be transferred, just as partial conversions to ROTH IRAs take an appropriate fraction of the cost basis.