Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-06-2020, 03:36 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
What I would do, is using either the TurboTax What-If Worksheet or the dinkytown tax calculator is to sketch out 2020 tax assuming $0 Roth conversions. Then add Roth conversions to the top of the 12% bracket and compare the increase in tax to the amount of the conversion to get the effective rate on the conversion.

As noted, the harder part is to get an idea of your future tax rate before and after RMDs, but since SS and tax brackets grow with inflation and RMDs grow at at least the rate of inflation due to investment growth, I think you could get a rough approximation by using today's SS at the age you plan to take it (excluding COLA growth) and RMDs assuming you were now 72 (or maybe a little more).
I have done the same the last few years, staying in the 12% bracket. This year, I decided to convert up to the IRMAA threshold (we are 65 and on Medicare).

The marginal rate on the additional conversion was about 25%, but the rate for the entire conversion was 16%. Since I avoided taxes at the 28% rate to make the contributions, this is a win (but paying an additional $10k in taxes is still tough to swallow).
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2020, 03:53 PM   #22
gone traveling

On the suggestion to convert at end of year vs. early in year... End would be ideal unless you have an opportunity early in year you don't want to pass up, especially for those in private equity via SD-IRA and can't easily sell a holding for a new opportunity. I had one year where I did convert early in year, which paid off.
JustVisitingThisPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 10:06 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm in the conversion calculation dilemma, I just retired in June at 58, DW will follow in a year or so. We will have a lot of time to do conversions with little income. I've started on spreadsheet but just keeps getting more and more complex.

The latest issue to add to the spreadsheet is to figuring out the road between shooting for low nearly tax free income and getting ACA subsidies versus trying to take advantage of the 24% bracket while we have it. I think we can get subsidies of around 8-10K.

Anyone have any tips in relation to considering ACA subsidies?
schellem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 10:39 AM   #24

I am going to print out this article and the thread.

Pb4uski had explained to me (on an old thread - couldn't update it) how to do a backdoor Roth; which I did. I will be rolling over my taxable 401k (costly administrative fees) into an IRA on January 2nd; and want to be prepared for Roth conversions.
Old 11-07-2020, 10:45 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

^ I don't have the math for you, and haven't done it myself, but it seems that most people here think that ACA subsidies are worth more than the Roth conversion tax arbitrage savings.

I think some of that opinion is probably based on the "bird in the hand" sentiment.

It's harder for married folks I think, as you have the potential for the surviving spouse to be socked with higher income tax brackets and IRMAA adjustments after the first spouse dies.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 12:11 PM   #26

Quote:
What I would do, is using either the TurboTax What-If Worksheet or the dinkytown tax calculator is to sketch out 2020 tax assuming $0 Roth conversions. Then add Roth conversions to the top of the 12% bracket and compare the increase in tax to the amount of the conversion to get the effective rate on the conversion.

As noted, the harder part is to get an idea of your future tax rate before and after RMDs, but since SS and tax brackets grow with inflation and RMDs grow at at least the rate of inflation due to investment growth, I think you could get a rough approximation by using today's SS at the age you plan to take it (excluding COLA growth) and RMDs assuming you were now 72 (or maybe a little more).
Yes, I am using Dinkytown to calculate my maximun Roth Conversion in the 12% bracket. It is a little convoluted for me because, I get next years expenses this year, I also have to generate a December $30k tuition payment. Add to those any taxes due and money for an HSA. Then add in the Roth Conversions which generate taxable income, so I have rerun the taxes due and generate more income to pay those extra taxes which also means more income and more taxes. But I have it pretty well figured out, although my first asset sale generated a several hundred dollars more LTCG than I calculated.

I think I'll sneak up on the proper amount
with a bigger asset sale, redo the calculations to see how close I am and then one or two smaller asset sales to get it close.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 01:56 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

x/(1-t) can be quite useful... where x is the desired net proceeds and t is the tax rate.

So if I want to net $10,000 and the marginal tax rate is 12%, an $11,364 withdrawal will result in $1,374 in tax and net proceeds of $10,000.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 04:52 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks! Great piece of information!
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 01:15 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I wish I had converted more of DH's tIRA during the years before required minimum distributions. That would have been before the ACA so didn't need to factor that in.
Old 11-08-2020, 01:43 PM   #30

One of the best things I ever did was to take advantage of a special deal offered in 2010. I converted my entire traditional IRA to Roth at a stroke. Of course that led to an enormous tax liability, but for that one year only you could pay the tax over two years, half with the 2011 taxes and half with 2012. I bit the bullet and did it, and it feels so good to have that behind me!

Considering the state of things today, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they offered the same deal again next year.
Old 11-08-2020, 01:59 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
One of the best things I ever did was to take advantage of a special deal offered in 2010. I converted my entire traditional IRA to Roth at a stroke. Of course that led to an enormous tax liability, but for that one year only you could pay the tax over two years, half with the 2011 taxes and half with 2012. I bit the bullet and did it, and it feels so good to have that behind me!

Considering the state of things today, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they offered the same deal again next year.
That was a great deal and I regret not taking advantage of it. It turned out to be a big winner because the gains in the next couple of years following made up for the tax liability, or at least would have in my case. It would've been good even for normal years. I didn't really do the math on it.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 06:20 PM   #32

I did that, too, but since I was w*rking, I only had ~$20k in a rollover IRA from a previous employer. Too bad.
Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 07:08 PM   #33

Such an interesting topic. And thank you to all , esp PB4uski for helping me though this earlier in year.

I started doing Roth conversions this year and my effective tax rate is 7.38%. I am assuming when SS and RMDs start hitting ( 16-18 years from now) my effective tax rate will be much higher.

“The most important quality for an investor is temperament, not intellect.”—Warren Buffett
FREE866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 08:04 PM   #34

Quote:
x/(1-t) can be quite useful... where x is the desired net proceeds and t is the tax rate.

So if I want to net $10,000 and the marginal tax rate is 12%, an $11,364 withdrawal will result in $1,374 in tax and net proceeds of $10,000.
=9900

Or did I miss something?

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 08:27 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
=9900

Or did I miss something?
We both did. I typed $1,374 and it should have been $1,364... the 6 and the 7 are adjacent on the keyboard so obviously it's a typo.

But... $11,364 - $1,374 = $9,990... Not $9,900. Miscalculation or typo? I don't know, but in any event we're even.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 08:39 PM   #36

EDIT: Dang, I gotta start hitting refresh before I submit these! Another crossing in the ether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
=9900

Or did I miss something?

Well, Pb4 meant to say that the tax was $1364.

And your subtraction was off by $90

=9990
Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 01:33 AM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Yes, to figure that tax drag you'd have to model it out.
See Break-even withdrawal rate for said model.
SevenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:16 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenUp View Post
See Break-even withdrawal rate for said model.
This is a bogleheads thread.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:17 AM   #39

Quote:

I'm having a tough time extending this x/(1-t).
My 1 is made of LTCGs, only 56% are taxable.

My long way into this is Percentage taxable = Gross - (Gross- LTCG percentage) OR 1-(1-.56) =1-(.44) = .56
t = .56 * tax rate, then t = .56 * .12, so, t=0.0672 now if I plug t into x/(1-t)
x/(1-0.0672) = x/.9328. So if I want $40,000, I divide by .9328 and get $42,881.
Can anyone simplify that?
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 01:31 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Everyone is pushing the numbers based on the current tax code and I will admit that the impact of ACA substudies is significant. That said, if ACA substudies are not a factor, consider that the tax rate for high-income taxpayers is likely to increase significantly in the near future. If your tIRA is expected to grow significantly your RMDs will flow directly to taxable income.