Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Roth conversion - make sense for rest of this year?
Old 11-11-2017, 10:30 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Roth conversion - make sense for rest of this year?

One of the main arguments for converting was that one should take advantage of current 'lower' tax brackets because they surely will go up in the future. I suspect many of us converted up to some tier, perhaps the 15% or higher bracket. Now that we seem to be on a path, at least for some of us, where our tax bracket rate may actually be lowered. Is anyone factoring paying conversion tax on say 12% versus 15% and the loss of investment income on overpaying? That needs to be balanced against tax free gains made since conversion. I know there are many reasons why having traditional, roth, or a mix of both made sense, but it seems that the argument to convert may have gotten a little weaker (at least for conversions for the rest of this year). It would be nice if the final plan details were available as the devil is in the details.
retiredunder50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2017, 10:41 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Nope, because many folks like myself are doing conversions before being hit by the tax TORPEDO.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:57 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredunder50 View Post
One of the main arguments for converting was that one should take advantage of current 'lower' tax brackets because they surely will go up in the future.
I think some of us (myself included) do ROTH conversions not because we expected the rates for the tax brackets to go up but because we expect our income to go up in future years bringing us into a higher tax bracket. I don't see that changing much with both of the proposals that are currently out.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:05 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I really do think it's because of higher expected income in future years thus increasing the tax burden. For myself I expect to get a pension and SS which will certainly increase income. So IMO it makes sense to convert whatever is possible to a Roth IRA to counteract that.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:20 AM   #5

Having a good pension, I bit the bullet and converted a lot of Trad to Roth, to the point where I now have well over 40% of the total portfolio in Roth. Glad I did.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:22 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Nope, because many folks like myself are doing conversions before being hit by the tax TORPEDO.
Perhaps I was too cryptic;
The tax torpedo is when a person turns 70.5. Suddenly they find they are (usually) getting SS and now they have to take out RMD's from their IRA/401K. So suddenly their income jumps quite a bit and they are in higher tax brackets.

And the income increases every year as SS goes up, and the RMD's increase even faster.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 02:16 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
I think some of us (myself included) do ROTH conversions not because we expected the rates for the tax brackets to go up but because we expect our income to go up in future years bringing us into a higher tax bracket. I don't see that changing much with both of the proposals that are currently out.
+1....... 2017 will be the 5th year that we have done Roth conversions to the top of the 15% tax bracket because once SS starts we expect to be in the 25% tax bracket (under current and House proposed brackets.... 22.5% under the Senate proposal).

Please note... just because I'm converting to the top of the 15% tax bracket does not mean that we are paying 15% in tax on the conversions... over the 5 years our tax on the conversion has ranged from 2% to 11% and averaged about 8% because some is 0% because it is sheltered by deductions and exemptions and some is at 10%... with the remainder at 15%.

While we have been able to convert about $275k over the 5 years, because of good investment results our tax-deferred balances as a % of the total is about the same as when I retired.... but our Roth % has increased 20% with a corresponding 20% reduction in taxable as a percent of the total (from 44% to 24%).

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote