Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-25-2020, 06:09 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
I wish we could still do this but we are in the RMD stage and unless I am wrong we can't do this anymore. Bummer!

Cheers!

I'm not an expert, but I see no reason you can't do Roth conversions while in the RMD phase. It is in effect a distribution above the RMD but goes into your Roth rather than your after tax account.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2020, 06:38 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireBy90 View Post
I'm not an expert, but I see no reason you can't do Roth conversions while in the RMD phase. It is in effect a distribution above the RMD but goes into your Roth rather than your after tax account.
I agree. What you cannot do is use the RMD money to convert. What you can do is use the RMD money to pay the taxes on the conversion though.

CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:47 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
I agree. What you cannot do is use the RMD money to convert. What you can do is use the RMD money to pay the taxes on the conversion though.
Exactly. Many forget that the M in RMD stands for minimum. You can take as much more of a distribution as you like, and convert that to Roth, paying the taxes on it.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:26 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No conversion for me this year... I decided to do 0% LTCG and take a bunch of highly appreciated equities off the table before they fell off the table and it used up all my headroom for 2020. Best laid plans....

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:38 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I did half of my conversion $ for the year over this past weekend. I will do the other half before year end.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:47 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdv2 View Post
I did half of my conversion $ for the year over this past weekend. I will do the other half before year end.
Same here.....Only yesterday.
vince is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:58 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I wish we could still do this but we are in the RMD stage and unless I am wrong we can't do this anymore. Bummer!

Cheers!
You can convert, but only after taking out the RMD and not converting that.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:07 PM   #28

Quote:

Cheers!
You can still do Roth conversions, but you must withdraw all your RMDs before you convert and you can only convert other funds besides the RMDs.
Therefore your total withdrawals will be the RMDs first and then the additional conversions.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:34 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
This is great to hear. Thank you everybody.

I already made my RMD in early Feb for this year so my 2020 taxes will be high since it is based on tIRA from Dec 31, 2019 but as we approach Dec 31, 2020 if the market is still down enough so the RMD for 2021 will be lower resulting in lower taxes I may want to make some conversions then.
I think I have that right.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:44 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
A move from 24% to 32% increases your taxes by 1/3 for the additional amount. The market right now is about 1/3 of its peak value for equities. So you are saving 1/3 by converting at the lower current price, versus converting at the peak, but paying an extra 1/3 for the taxes. Convert $1000 at the peak for $240 or $667 (about the same number of shares) now for $213. Save $27 converting now into a higher tax bracket instead of at the market peak. Might be worth it.

I find I can't hit the top of the 22% bracket without going above $250k AGI and hitting the extra 3.8% healthcare tax, which would wipe out this small gain.
+1
DW and I are 59/58. FIRE August 2019. Non-cola pension available but will remain untouched until mid sixties to grow, max SS for DH at FRA or 70. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG next few years. AA 40% stocks, 4% cash and 56% Intermediate Treasury fund.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:55 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
You can still do Roth conversions, but you must withdraw all your RMDs before you convert and you can only convert other funds besides the RMDs.
Therefore your total withdrawals will be the RMDs first and then the additional conversions.
Not to pick nits, but are you sure that they have to be in a certain order? I would think that as long as the RMD is done in the calendar year that it needs to be done that it would be ok.

So for example, let's say I converted $x in January and did a withdrawal for the RMD in December.... what would be wrong with that?

Old 03-26-2020, 05:59 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Not to pick nits, but are you sure that they have to be in a certain order? I would think that as long as the RMD is done in the calendar year that it needs to be done that it would be ok.

So for example, let's say I converted $x in January and did a withdrawal for the RMD in December.... what would be wrong with that?
My understanding is that the IRS considers the first distributions of the year to be RMDs until you reach the full RMD amount. So until you've taken out your full RMD amount you can't call any withdrawals conversions.

There is an exception made for QCDs, so you can take them out first, but I don't believe conversions can be made first.

I don't have full confidence in this, so I may be wrong, but I'm sure someone knows the law here.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:50 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Actually, I found something on Ed Slott's website that clarified that you must do your RMD before any Roth conversions... so order is important.

Thanks.

Old 03-26-2020, 07:06 AM   #34

Quote:
Actually, I found something on Ed Slott's website that clarified that you must do your RMD before any Roth conversions... so order is important.

Thanks.
That is a very good detail to remember. Thanks. When RMD time comes, I may take out the RMD in early Jan instead of taking it out automatically monthly. This keeps my options for conversions and other W/Ds open the rest of the year.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 10:20 AM   #35

Id do Roth conversion in done market. Also good time to harvest losses in taxable account if you reinvest in something similar, but different enough to avoid wash sale rules.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:07 PM   #36

Quote:

Thanks.
Since there will apparently be no RMD for 2020, it now sounds like probably you could just do the conversion at any time and that could be, if you want, your only distribution for 2020.
Gearhead Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:17 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

And (I think, but not positive) that anyone who has taken their RMD less than 60 days ago can just deposit it into the Roth and make it into a conversion instead of an RMD. I would definitely do that instead of just eating the RMD.